TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The same applies to old seventies exploitation movies like BLOOD FROM SATAN'S CLAW or TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER (yes, I have elevated tastes), where TCM will run them uncut--complete with all the sex and violence and nudity--but only late at night.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They tend to put a lot of the movies they show, maybe even all, up on their app and possibly website for a few days after they air, so if you want to see movies like the ones we're talking about, but don't want watch them in the middle of the night that's a second option.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

A couple of the early Weissmuller Tarzan movies have scenes of Jane swimming in the buff. TCM has shown them uncut during the daytime hours.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

TCM always shows movies uncut but tend to show the riskier/risque stuff in the evening but not always. I noticed TCM is actually showing an outright silly T&A movie on Saturday at 4AM, Hard Ticket to Hawaii starring a bunch of ex-centerfolds which I used to watch as a teenager on Cinemax lol. Saturday late night is "TCM Underground" which is devoted to cult fare and where the more out there stuff can be found.

BTW, Fantastic Planet is available on demand if one wants to see that until 3/12.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I noticed that and it struck me as bizarre. I confess I rented one of that director's movies once -- I don't recall whether it was this one -- and it was horribly amateurish, nothing but a flimsy excuse for a lot of Playmate nudity interspersed with clumsily staged gunplay/explosions. I'm rather startled to see something like that on Turner Classic Movies. Although Wikipedia claims that some consider it one of the greatest trashy B-movies of all time, which I guess is why they're showing it.

6. Mr. Adventure

Watched The X from Outer Space which makes an interesting companion to The Green Slime from a month or two back. This one was much more Japanese in casting and feel despite some token white people and the obligatory hot blonde leading lady. TCM showed this one in Japanese language with English subtitles which was cool.

I didn't know what the plot of this one was and it starts off as a space movie with lots of space lounge music before shifting in the second half to a movie about a giant kaiju chicken named Guilala. Luckily for Earth they find some Guilalanium(!) to use to fight back.

I love all the retro atmosphere of this one. When they get back to earth it seems the movie is set in near contemporary times as we see a VW Beetle prominently featured. The movie even gives us a gratuitous (if tame) space shower scene to enjoy (and for those so inclined the not-so-sexy men in a not-so-sexy hot spa bath). Peggy Neal's whole career consisted of three Japanese genre movies in 1966-67. This is where I really miss the IMDB message boards because I'm curious what happened to her. Itoko Harada as Michiko is lovely as well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Interesting. I'm sure I must have seen X From Outer Space, but that doesn't sound familiar. I hope it's on On Demand.

Poor Peggy Neal has no Wiki page (and she's not even listed on the movie's Wiki page), and there's not much in the way of trivia on IMDB. Itoko Harada doesn't fare any better.

8. Mr. Adventure

I was able to find some recent pictures of Itoko Harada from a fan.
    http://sidelongglancesofapigeonkicker.blogspot.com/2014/12/meeting-itoko-harada-guilalas-gal.html

I used the wayback machine at archive.org to access old Peggy Neal IMDB messages and there wasn't anything there either.

9. Christopher

You liked this one a lot more than I did when they showed it last October.

10. Mr. Adventure

I don't know how objectively good it is but with this and The Green Slime what I liked was seeing some old sci-fi that I never caught when I was growing up. It's nostalgic to some degree as it transports me back to my childhood when they'd have the Saturday creature feature on UHF channels. I imagine some of the things that rubbed you the wrong way were part of the appeal to me.

One of the things I like with these 60s Japanese movies is that they have a modern pacing to them. They don't plod as much as some of the older fare does. I like this era of sci-fi as well as it's colorful, vibrant and stylish as were its contemporaries Star Trek and Lost in Space (not quite as stylish, this last one). Foreign movies especially seemed to embrace it such as these or Planet of the Vampires and its ilk. I think its these trappings that appeal to me as much as the movies themselves.

I forgot to mention the music and vibe when in space reminded me some of the German series Space Patrol Orion. I could imagine Lisa and Michiko dancing like in Orion.

11. RJDiogenes

^^ That's a great-looking show. I have all the episodes, but I need to track down the translations someday.

X is indeed on On Demand, and it does seem familiar, based on the first ten minutes or so.

That's a shame. I hope Wiki eventually catches up to them. Clearly, as that fan proves, there is information to be found.

Same here. One problem that continues to plague contemporary movies and TV shows is the overall grayness to them.

12. Mr. Adventure

13. RJDiogenes

Ah, fantastic. Thank you very much. :bolian:

14. Christopher

April:

SAT 4/1
    Noon: The Wolf Man ('41)
    4:15 PM: Children of the Damned ('63)
    6:00 PM: Young Frankenstein ('74)
    8:00 PM: Sleeper ('73)

SUN 4/2
    4:30 AM: Corruption ('67): Borderline-genre Peter Cushing horror film about a mad plastic surgeon on a killing spree.
    2:15 PM: The Innocents ('61): Deborah Kerr in an adaptation of The Turn of the Screw.

THU 4/6
    12:15 AM: Queen of Outer Space ('58): Zsa Zsa Gabor on Venus!
    7:45 AM: Gabriel Over the White House ('33): That disturbing pro-fascist propaganda fantasy that TCM has been showing a lot in recent months -- for some reason, their schedule is now classifying it as a comedy.

SAT 4/8
    7:30 AM: The Black Cat ('34): Karloff and Lugosi's first team-up in a film about Satanism.

SUN 4/9-MON 4/10
    8:00 PM-12:30 AM: A marathon of "rare animation" shorts that, judging from the few I looked up, all seem to be from the National Film Board of Canada.

TUE 4/11
    4:30 AM: Dead of Night ('45): Supernatural horror anthology.

WED 4/12
    8:00 PM: Panic in Year Zero ('62): Post-nuclear survivalist tract starring and directed by Ray Milland. I reviewed it in this thread nearly 3 years ago. (Man, we've been doing this a long time now.)

THU 4/13
    2:00 AM: Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine ('65)
    10:00 PM: Topper Takes a Trip ('39): The first sequel to the ghost comedy Topper (oddly, Topper Returns was the second sequel).

SAT 4/15
    8:30 AM: One Million Years B.C. ('66): Raquel Welch!
    8:00 PM: Harvey ('50)
    11:30 PM: Night of the Lepus ('72)

SUN 4/16
    1:15 AM: A pair of early MGM shorts directed by Hugh Harman, The Hungry Wolf ('42) and The Hound and the Rabbit ('37), continuing the pre-Easter rabbit theme from the night before.
    2:00 AM: Death Watch ('80): Originally La mort en direct, a French SF film about a future society where death from disease is rare and a dying woman's final days are turned into a reality show without her consent. With Harvey Keitel, Harry Dean Stanton, Max von Sydow, and Doctor Who's William Russell.

WED 4/19
    6:00 AM: The Monster ('25): Silent mad-doctor comedy with Lon Chaney, Sr.
    9:00 AM: Indestructible Man ('56): Now it's Lon Jr.'s turn, as a resurrected inmate seeking revenge. Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans may remember this one.
    10:30 AM: The Body Snatcher ('45): Robert Wise directs Karloff and Lugosi in grave-robbing thriller.
    Noon: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('41): The lame one.
    5:00 PM: The Cosmic Monster ('58): British giant-insect movie, originally The Strange World of Planet X. I remember being unimpressed.
    6:30 PM: Frankenstein 1970 ('58): Karloff plays a modern descendant of Victor Frankenstein recreating his forebear's work... while a TV crew shoots a Frankenstein movie in his castle. O...kay.
    8:00 PM: The Invisible Man ('33)

SAT 4/22
    8:45 AM: Satellite in the Sky ('56): A familiar title by now.

MON 4/24
    11:00 AM: Around the World in 80 Days ('56)

WED 4/26
    1:15 PM: King Kong ('33)

SUN 4/30
    2:45 PM: I Married a Witch ('42)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might actually be able see some of those.

16. RJDiogenes

The shorts and the silent Mad Scientist film sound the most interesting. I have most of the classic stuff on DVD. I'm not sure if I've seen Cosmic Monster or not.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Turnabout (1940), which I think is quite possibly the inspiration for TOS "Turnabout Intruder," is on Wednesday (tomorrow) at 1:45 AM EDT.

18. Christopher

In the monstrous month of May:

THU 5/4
    4:30 AM: The Next Voice You Hear... ('50): That "message film" where people hear the voice of God on the radio. With James Whitmore and the future Nancy Reagan.

THU 5/4 - FRI 5/5: Monster movie marathon.
    8:00 PM: Creature from the Black Lagoon ('54)
    9:30 PM: Revenge of the Creature ('55): Sequel to the above, with new leads.
    11:15 PM: King Kong ('33)
    1:15 AM: Mothra ('61): I'm not sure which edition this is. TCM's entry gives a 1962 date (the year of the 90-minute English release) but a running time of 101 minutes (the length of the Japanese version), and mistakenly gives the synopsis for 1964's Mothra vs. Godzilla.
    3:15 AM: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms: The Harryhausen monster movie that was an inspiration for Godzilla.
    5:00 AM: Reptilicus ('61): Denmark's sole entry into the kaiju genre, recently seen as the premiere episode of the Netflix Mystery Science Theater 3000 revival.
    6:30 AM: The Beast of Hollow Mountain ('56): Cowboys-and-dinosaurs movies that's a vastly inferior prototype of The Valley of Gwangi -- and also a target of the new MST3K. Terrible movie that barely even hints at the dinosaur until it's 2/3 over, and is mostly about two ranchers fighting over business and a woman.

SAT 5/6
    8:30 AM: Tarzan and His Mate ('34): Raciest of the pre-Code Tarzan films (though also pretty racist).
    12:15 PM: She ('65): Ursula Andress and Peter Cushing in the H. Rider Haggard tale.
    2:15 PM: Logan's Run ('75)

SUN 5/7
    2:30 AM: Of Unknown Origin ('83): Some kind of rat-based horror movie with Peter Weller.
    4:00 AM: The Swarm ('78): Killer-bee horror movie with Michael Caine.

THU 5/11
    6:15 PM: The Wacky World of Mother Goose ('67): Rankin-Bass animated film.

THU 5/11 - FRI 5/12: Another monster marathon.
    8:00 PM: Rodan ('58): English-dubbed version of the '56 Japanese Radon.
    9:30 PM: The Black Scorpion ('57): Stop-motion giant-scorpion movie, not bad. Featured as MST3K's first-season finale.
    11:15 PM: The Deadly Mantis ('57): Another giant-insect movie. I don't remember this one, but it was featured in the first Sci-Fi Channel season of MST3K.
    1:00 AM: The Monster That Challenged the World ('57): Mollusk monsters this time.
    2:45 AM: Empire of the Ants ('77): Bert I. Gordon giant-ant movie (relying on close-up footage of real ants rather than stop-motion) with Joan Collins and Robert Lansing. Loosely based on the H.G. Wells novel.
    4:30 AM: The Giant Claw ('57): Giant bird this time. Infamously bad effects.

FRI 5/12
    7:30 AM: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ('20)
    10:15 AM: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ('32): The superior version with Fredric March.
    6:45 PM: The Return of Doctor X ('39): Vampire-ish horror movie; Humphrey Bogart's sole sci-fi credit.

WED 5/17
    11:30 PM: I Walked With a Zombie ('43): Atmospheric Val Lewton chiller.

THU 5/18
    10:30 AM: The Ice Pirates ('84): Dreadful sci-fi comedy with Robert Urich.

THU 5/18 - FRI 5/19: You know the drill by now.
    8:00 PM: Them! ('54): Giant ants!
    9:45 PM: Godzilla, King of the Monsters! ('56)
    11:30 PM: It Came from Beneath the Sea ('55): Harryhausen's giant octopus vs. San Francisco.
    1:00 AM: The Giant Behemoth ('59): Willis O'Brien's dinosaur vs. London.
    2:30 AM: The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues ('55): Finally, one I haven't seen. Non-giant mutant sea monster terrorizes the beach.
    4:00 AM: The Magnetic Monster ('53): Oh, this is that weird, misleadingly titled one where the "monster" is actually just a dangerous new magnetic element threatening the Earth.

SAT 5/20
    2:15 PM: 20 Million Miles to Earth ('57): Harryhausen's Venusian monster.

SUN 5/21
    3:45 AM: It's Alive ('74): Mutant-baby horror movie.

THU 5/25 - FRI 5/26: One more time!
    8:00 PM: Tarantula ('55): Giant, of course.
    9:30 PM: Return of the Fly ('59): Sequel to The Fly, with Vincent Price returning.
    11:15 PM: The Cosmic Monster ('58): Originally The Strange World of Planet X, British giant-bug movie.
    12:45 AM: The Wasp Woman ('60): From Roger Corman.
    2:00 AM: Swamp Thing ('82): An odd one out, Wes Craven's adaptation of the DC Comics horror character. It's the 91-minute version, suggesting that it's the PG-rated cut without Adrienne Barbeau's gratuitous topless scene, but it says TV-MA, so I'm not sure.
    4:00 AM: The Killer Shrews ('59): Giant-shrews movie that was riffed in season 4 of MST3K. (I wonder if all these MST3K movies were scheduled as a tribute to the show's return.)

TUE 5/30
    1:30 PM: The Thing From Another World ('51)

19. Mr. Adventure

Looking forward to the Black Lagoon movies which I have never really watched all the way through but moreso Of Unknown Origin which I haven't seen in 30-some years but I remember it being hilariously OTT. I remember it being about Peter Weller goes increasingly insane trying to rid his home of a big rat but it's been so long I only really remember the nuttiness of the movie but none of the details.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral