Religion & DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Alienesse, Sep 17, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Reckoning is a beautiful episode that teaches us that Force Lightening comes in two different colours.

[​IMG]

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

:guffaw:

Nothing you wrote here has any basis in fact and reality.

3. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Classic Sci Fi Trope; the evil side always has red eyes or glow, the good side is usually represented by blue or whitish energy.

That's why the whole thing got awkward at the end. Trek has always tried to avoid too much religious symbolism, but DS9 jumped right into it.

I always found episodes with the Prophets fascinating, but the last few episodes were too much.

The Pah Wraiths started off as simply enemies of the Prophets, but then morphed into super evil beings that wanted to set the Galaxy on fire or something.

The showdown between the two "chosen ones" was too comic book like for me, I'd rather they did it another way.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Glowing space rocks that give you hallucinogenic experiences which happen to fall in line with your cultural expectations? Clearly evidence of non-linear wormhole-dwelling aliens.

Well, to be fair it's not as though people haven't used mind-altering substances to have a Christian faith-experience before.

That's pretty unfair since most of DS9 wasn't manichean at all. And the humanist vision was never said to apply outside the Federation - it's just that DS9 spent a lot more time delving into non-Federation cultures and didn't simply dismiss Bajoran religion as foolish childlike savagery.

Sorry, but you're just wrong there. General consensus is that several of Paul's letters were written between CE 51 and 58, and even Revelation before CE 100. At the very least, the Marcion canon (c. 130-140) included a large number of the Pauline epistles as authoritative.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

True. Point taken. I bet there are quite a few people who have dropped acid and found Jesus.

It's just that psychedelic mushrooms aren't served with the bread and wine, at least at most Eucharists.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Church would probably be more popular and better attended though if they were.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What's your point exactly? One of those glowing space rocks had the ability to throw the Defiant back in time and back again.. And Sisko & Co determined that they come from the wormhole, with technobabble. And I think that the Prophets (which were measured and explained with technobabble as well) even stated that they came from them. So yeah, they are evidence.

Ever since Starfleet (and I guess the Cardassians as well) showed up, the Bajoran religion turned out to be based on well-documented and scientifically explained phenomena. Unlike any of our real-world religions.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true for sure. Although, peyote usage is an integral part of the syncretic Native American Church which at least can incorporate Christian beliefs.

But until Dax and Sisko discovered the wormhole the orbs proved nothing - even the Orb of Time would rely on people's testimony.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

D'oh. It's an excellent point that the discovery of the wormhole was revolutionary, although I wouldn't say the orbs proved literally nothing. Also, to a "doubter", all the wormhole was was a wormhole, albeit a stable one, so it didn't really make any religious interpretation of the orbs more convincing than it already was.

I think "miracles" like being aware of the other timeline in Accession get at least as much mileage for proof of the Prophets as the wormhole itself does.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

From this angle it looks lkike they are both shooting from the hip. The wormhole aliens can be naughty when they set up their confrontations.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

"And I see your Schwartz is as big as mine. Now let's see how well you handle it."

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If Ira Behr made the claim that Sisko was Half Prophet, that certainly isn't what was shown onscreen. What was shown on screen was that a Prophet possessed Sisko's mother, and influenced her to get pregnant by Sisko's father. Their was no indication the Prophet contributed any Genetic material

13. JarodRussell

Well, it kinda has to be, because otherwise it makes no real sense why they would go through that whole process. Why not simply chose someone who's already born to be the One?

14. Sindatur

Because it was always the Sisko. Non-Linear, remember. They know it's the Sisko, so they had to ensure the Sisko was created

15. JarodRussell

Well that's predestination, he was the Sisko because he's a half prophet. What's so particularly special about him otherwise?

16. teacake

Well there's this..

[​IMG]

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    He also nailed the mirror Kira in that episode.. though he probably got the space clap from her.. maybe that's why he lost his hair.

18. teacake

What happens in the Mirror Universe stays in the Mirror Universe :lol:

19. Sindatur

Is that where his Hair went? Truth be told, other than the "Q Punch" he was much more bad ass after losing the hair :bolian:

20. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

The science of the wormhole aliens reminds me of George Lucas' midi-chlorians: pseudo-science designed to give credibility to otherwise banal religion/mysticism.

But the psychology of faith in DS9 is still interesting, e.g. the Bajoran cult members' desperate longing to be ruled, cognitive dissonance, and so on.