Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You've got a point but I think if they spaced out the ones that look too similar, they'll be OK. And some characters - Kirk, Spock, Picard, Data, Worf etc - will do well regardless. As for the others - intermix them with Ferengi, Cardassians, Xindi, Gorns and so on - and I think Eaglemoss would be on to another winner.

The completist in me wants them all, but the sane father-of-four-on-a-budget is approaching each release cautiously.

There's plenty I'll skip (at least for now) - if I find those particular issues cheap in the months and years to come, might pick them up. The three you mention are low on my list, as are a lot of the post-issue #25 ones we've heard about...

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise-E and Vor'cha Klingon Cruiser arrived today, both great models, especially the latter. The Enterprise is pretty good, especially from above, the only problem is it's predictably very small, similar to the Excelsior in size which is a shame. Still, the detail is excellent and when the light catches the nacelles it looks beautiful.

Some pics I took of the Enterprise if anyone is interested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can do some for the Klingon Cruiser too if anyone is interested

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Always!

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

*Drool*
    Thanks for pics, got two weeks to wait till it's in the shops :(

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I am truly truly jealous and I will have to get mine in a couple of weeks before I go away for the weekend.

6. Kpnuts

A few photos of the Vor'cha Class Klingon ship...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, that Sovereign looks great.

In other news, my wife broke the nacelles off my K't'inga and I am filing for divorce.

8. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my! Whatever would possess someone to do that?

9. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

That Enterprise E looks amazing. I'm loving this collection so far!

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

As a serious collector of Trek starships, the ones I care the least about from this collection is any and all that have been made more than once before.

I have more NCC-1701, NCC-1701-A, NCC-1701-D, NCC-1701-E, Klingon Battle Cruiser, Klingon Bird of Prey, USS Reliant, and even a few too many Romulan Warbird, 1701-B, 1701-C, NX-01, Excelsior. The fact I only have 3 or 4 Defiants and Voyagers and DS9s is only because they're not made as often.

I take the ones like the Ferengi D'Kora I just got the other week and leave them in the package. I've got 3 or 4 Ferengi ships already! Micromachine, Furuta, some Playmates thing... :lol:

This collection is about one thing for me (and all those like me): the never-been-done-before and the only-been-done-once ships.

The Prometheus, the Equinox, the Borg Sphere, the Akira, the Dominion warship, hell I'm even looking forward to that Xindi ship and I don't really like Enterprise! :guffaw:

I know for a lot of people, this collection is the first time or maybe only the second or third they've ever seen a replica starship. But for us old hats? Oh my. It's bittersweet the weeks we get a ship we've got 6 of already. It's good to have them all and this offers a potential for new quality and/or details, but it's also eating a valuable slot and delaying the gratification of having that new ship we don't yet have. :p

The only reason I (and I imagine many like me who've got 6 or 10 or 20 of a given ship already) are buying those ships all over again is to help inflate the profit margins. Seriously. I'm buying ships I don't want on the chance it'll help the whole line be a success long enough for me to get my hands on ships I do. The fact they're planning for the 50th ship helps me feel good that such is likely.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yup. Although that being said, I'm happy to get and display the models I already have because for the scale they're at they are pretty much the best versions you can buy. The possible exception to this is the TMP Enterprise (Seriously, that thing stinks) as the Johnny Lightning version has more detail and better colouring but pretty much every other model I can call the definitive versions of that ship. This is certainly true for the NX-01 and Romulan Warbird. It looks to be that for the Enterprise-E too (as a non subscriber you have no idea how antsy i'm gonna be for the next two weeks).

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I was round my mates last night and had a gander of the E last night and it probably the best model they've made so far and I seriously can't wait to buy it in two weeks. I'm just not sure where I'd put it, on my shelf with my other models or my desk with the JJPrise.

13. Kpnuts

The underside of the E is a little disappointing, the aztec-ing looks a little strange but otherwise yeah it's great.

Might do some pics of the JJPrise if it's not available in the US yet.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, not on purpose. (I think.) She bumped the shelf it was on; I probably have all the ships to close to the edge anyway.

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or was it an accident? The scene with the broken leg lamp from "A Christmas Story" comes to mind;

"You used up all the glue, ON PURPOSE!"

JK, it probably was an accident. Though that reminds me to make sure some of those ships that don't sit on their stands well are far enough back they won't fall further than a couple inches.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I think that's something they've cottoned on to. The Stargazer and Vor'Cha are both the grippiest stand models (is that a thing? does that make sense? :p ) i've seen yet.

17. spacedock1

spacedock1 Ensign Red Shirt

that would be issue 1 with the ncc-1701-d stand:).But you have to be very careful as it is not stable.

i sometimes Buy 2 or three issues of this magazine at the time of its original release with one for display and the other one or two of the same model for spare parts.This is because one or two weeks after a model is released some of them double or triple in price:eek:.for example,the USS Thunderchild:wtf:. Does anyone else do the same?

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

20. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This collection calls to me because do this, but also because it's is the only one that I have been able to get in on the ground floor. I have so many partial collections that it drives me nuts.