So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game this morning. Overall enjoyable, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping. I think it's all a little too convenient and tidy. Though, I'm not sure where else the plot could have gone. I wish the Aventine crew were a little more prevalent in the book. They probably have just enough time, but they do disappear for stretches where I was wondering what they were up to.

Now on to Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire. As per the almost universal disdain for this one, I've lowered my expectations.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished reading another archeology novel: Windows on a Lost World by V. E. Mitchell (1993, ST-TOS #65). Also finished "The Modern Democratic State" by A. D. Lindsay (1962). Still rereading "I See Satan Fall Like Lightning" by Rene Girard. Also read two journal articles: "Myths and Scapegoats: The Case of Rene Girard" by Richard Kearney (1995) and "Rene Girard and the Rhetoric of Consumption" by Kathleen M. Vandenberg (2005-2006). It might be interesting to read some of the studies of Ferengi character to tap into roots where envy, greed, and violence meet. How did they move on in developing an advanced civilization?

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Back to reading a Trek book, "Star Trek Voyager: Protectors". So far so good.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've put aside KRAD's Kligon books to jump into VOY: Protectors. Amazon delivered it yesterday. Loving it so far :techman:

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Voyager Protectors.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Me too. Phenomenal so far, as always.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

About 100 pages into Seize the Fire and it's... something. It's a very clumsy book, I feel. Tripping over its own ideas - Dr. Ree is not offended by the Titan crew's biases about the Gorn because humans compare him to dinosaurs and the Gorn to lizards. Over explaining dialogue - "What is our ETA?" Riker wanted to know. As well, the plot feels close to being done 1/5 of the way through the book so I can't imagine what's going to carry me the rest of the way.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Seize the Fire and Fallen Gods make me feel like Andy Mangels was more responsible for much of the quality of his and Martin's collaborations than a lot of people might have thought.

10. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

A Ceremony of Losses.

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started Protectors on Wednesday. Really enjoying it so far!

12. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Monsters: The Ashes Trilogy by Illsa J. Bick.

13. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Finally finished Summon The Thunder and posted my review here. for anyone who is interested.

Already got the next book in the series on my kindle!

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Which really makes me want a Andy Mangels TrekNovel.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm still pissed IDW passed on his and Tim Russ's Titan comic.

16. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not reading Trek novel currently. Read first third (Volume I of III, 1861) of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens and just read first third (Part I of II, 1969) of "The Philosopher's Stone" by Colin Wilson. It is an enjoyable break. It is good just being capable of reading these books.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished A time to kill by David Mack this book was certainly a fast paced read.Next to finish this series A Time for war , A Time for peace by Keith DeCandido.

18. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished the first two Mission Gamma books, Twilight and This Grey Spirit. I continued my re-read of The Cadfael Chronicles with The Leper of St Giles, Saint Peter's Fair and The Virgin In The Ice.
    I read more Agatha Christie short stories, and the novel Sparkling Cyanide.
    And I finally managed to finish reading The Hobbit. I'm still of the opinion that it's not a very good book.

I enjoyed the first few DS9 relaunch books a lot, but I'm struggling a bit with Mission Gamma - The station-bound plotlines are interesting, but i'm finding the gamma quadrant stuff a bit of a slog. I'll probably take a break from it for a while before reading books 3 and 4.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It works better if you read it when you're a child. Or better still, have it read to you by a parent.

20. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fair point.