Going into a movie blind

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Alidar Jarok, Sep 20, 2012.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Commander Red Shirt

Haven't gone to a movie theatre without having a choice in mind.

However, there was a time when I wasn't preoccupied on a Saturday afternoon of watching sports when I would run through the cable movie channels and catch a movie there. Usually, I have already missed some portion of the movie but begin watching and get engrossed by the story. I know I found Rounders this way, plus Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, Boiler Room, Catch Me if You Can, and Devil this way. All great movies by my opinion and usually not the type of movie that I will run to the theatres to 'must see.'

It can be so frustrating trying to figure out some of the early details or reasons for relationships until you get a chance again to see it repeat through on Cinemax or Showtime for another showing that day or the next.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I'll get hate for this one, but The Matrix was actually one where I went into it blind (not in a theater, but as a rental), and I absolutely hated it. I was liking it at first, but then I found it to be cheesier as time went on, and eventually I got so bored that I left the room and didn't see the last 20 minutes of it.

Oh, and I forgot a good story that brings up uncomfortable memories. When I was a teenager my dad and I went to the movies and blindly chose American Pie, knowing nothing about it. Most awkward experience EVER.

I really can't think of any movies I've gone in blind to that I ended up liking!

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Well, ya know, not all of us worked in movie theaters when we were teenagers. Some of us put that sort of thing off 'til our thirties!

;) :D

And I still go to Blockbuster, too, but usually with something in mind that I want to watch, or at least an idea of which genre I'm in the mood for.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first saw the Matrix, I remember saying "This is a piece of art!" and now when I look back at it, I realize how shallow that film is. :guffaw:I don't hate it, but it's just a bag full of hot air.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I heard great things about David Lynch's Eraserhead from a friend I trust but hadn't seen any clips and had no idea what it was about. So I rented it, put it in, and... whoa.

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After seeing "Sixth Sense", I would close my eyes, plug my ears with my fingers and hum (I probably looked like an idiot in the theatre doing this) at the trailers for his next movies, not wanting ANYTHING spoiled.
    "Unbreakable" was completely blind and I LOVED it. I had no clue it was a superhero movie (not sure if any trailer alluded to that, but I'm glad I didn't take the chance)
    Same with "Signs", water weakness and all.

"The Village" was blind, too, but maybe I should have watched the trailer so I would have known to avoid it... :guffaw:
    (There were some good moments, and it had GREAT atmosphere, but overall was pretty bland)