Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally watched "Shades of Gray" on the set... and I gotta say, it was much less painful than I remembered. In fact the opening 15 minutes or so with the marsh planet and Riker putting on a brave face in sickbay is actually pretty good stuff (and better written than some entire episodes in the 2nd season).

Plus the idea of someone on an away mission picking up a random alien infection from the local animal life is something we don't often see on Trek, and actually feels kind of novel and unique. It's a side of space travel and exploration that I really wish we could see more of in a series someday (not every threat has to some from a bumpy-headed alien).

And I didn't really mind watching the flashbacks either, since they're now all in glorious HD and look amazing. I just thought of it as a chance to revisit some of these cleaned up episodes again. Although I do wish they had sampled from a few more episodes, at least.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Problem with that is, EVERY planet would present itself with a biological contamination problem because every planet would have bacteria, viruses and other infections on it humans are not immune to due to lack of exposure. So we assume that there's ways around that, either through advanced medical techniques and the biofilter on the transporter. I think the series would get pretty boring if every other week we had characters near death from an alien cold their body doesn't know how to fight.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. davejames

Lol, true. You wouldn't want to see that every week. But it would still be nice to bring in at least a LITTLE more reality to the exploration we see in Trek, I think. Instead of having every planet be clean and antiseptic, and comfortable enough where they don't even have to wear a freakin jacket.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well the treknology explanation is that the transporter's biofilter is able to remove contaminates from people when they transport. (In Shades of Gray the alien virus was able to allude the biofilter.) We can also presume since things like the common cold are considered cured and rare that there are advanced antibiotics/medicines to bolster immune systems to fight unknown pathogens.

5. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have the first part of a special interview with Robert Meyer Burnett who - along with Roger Lay - is responsible for the TNG Bonus features.

Some fascinating insights into the behind-the-scenes struggle to interview Diana Muldaur for Season 2 along with some cool teasers about things to come in future seasons:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092013_robmeyerburnett1.html

Enjoy!

6. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks, great interview!

7. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice - thanks. :techman:

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to the rest of the interview. Interesting tidbit about "F"ing up the Final Frontier DVD set. As for TNG, With all the beautiful new shots, I still think the special features have been the best part of these sets and I can't wait to see what they have in store for the upcoming seasons. I have a feeling I know except for Season 4. Anything interesting happen in Season 4 that might be worth mentioning. I mean it was kind of TNG's high point and it seemed like business as usual. I mean looking at the seasons:

Season 1: Luanch of the series
    Season 2: Gates McFadden leaving and the writers strike
    Season 3: New Showrunner/Some of the series best episodes
    Season 4: ? (I guess wrapping up BOBW, but Mike Pillar did a great job explaining how that happened in the original features)
    Season 5: The Death of Gene Roddenberry
    Season 6: The launch of another Star Trek series and the possibility of movies featuring the TNG cast
    Season 7: The end of the series, All good Things.., and Generations

So what can they talk about in Season 4? Just how everything seemed to run on all cylinders? That seems kind of boring.

Anyway, hopefully that was a question you asked, and looking forward to the rest. :)

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect season 7 will have the "Journey's End" documentary hosted by Jonathan Frakes included.

10. tomalak301

I'll be surprised if they don't. I was surprised they didn't include it on the original DVDs.

11. FrontierTrek

I did indeed... there's a LOT more to come, some really fascinating stuff.

12. davejames

Well for the fourth season they can talk about the fight to make "Family", the departure of Wheaton, the creation of the Cardassians, and the big Klingon finale. At least for starters.

I'm also hoping they delve into the making of the 4-footer in some detail (either in the S3 or S4 set).

13. tomalak301

I forgot this was the season Wheaton left. Actually with what you bring up, there is a lot of stuff that happened in Season 4. Here I was thinking it was business as usual. ;)

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Great interview Frontier! I await the early cgi tests from STNG with bated breath. I have Burnett on my twitter and he cracks me up.

RAMA

15. tomalak301

I do too and he actually replied to a couple of my tweets. Not many people who I tweet to do that, so I gained more respect for the guy, along with his work on the special features.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yeah he replied to to a few of my Enterprise bluray questions too.:techman:

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Great interview!

We are very lucky to get this restoration and I hope it continues on for DS9 and VOY as well, it has to! Just let them keep on going until there is nothing left (Including TNG-HD style movie remasters from original uncut negative!!! PLEASE)

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The TNG theatrical movies are owned by Paramount, so while CBS does own the majority of the copyright, the movies are out of their control, and I don't think we'll see those movies remastered unless the director's put up the temper-tantrum that Nicholas Meyer did for Star Trek II.

But, with Shades Of Gray, its too bad that with Riker's flashbacks, considering that the episode was being redone, the production team was not able to include some shots of Riker's early years that were made later in the series (such as a shot of Admiral Pressman).

19. FrontierTrek

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

As delicious as part 1. Can't wait for part 3.