Do you like the idea of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Do you like the concept of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

1. Yes :)

85.1%
  2. No :(

3.0%
  3. Neutral So Far :|

11.9%
  1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I was surprised, while on the way home from work and wondering what had been announced, to find myself hoping it was Capaldi, and even more surprised at how pleased I was to read he was the one. Obviously there's no way to know what I'll think of his performance, but based on his background and previous work, I'm looking forward to finding out.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oldness is cool. I like oldness.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately (Or fortunately, depending on your point of view I suppose), you're going to get that part of the fanbase. In fact, watching the special they even brought it up as one of the commentators said (I think it was) Partwee was the most attractive Doctor. You do lose some of the sex appeal for the new choice, but hopefully you're gaining a new fresh direction for the show, maybe even a darker direction.

4. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Capaldi has an evil look on his face like he's about to whisper the words "fuck" and "cunt" and so ruin many thousands of childhoods.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if he'll say "I'm old now, being old is cool." :p :lol:

6. Green Lantern

If he did that, he'd automatically become my favourite doctor of all time. :lol:

In that picture, he actually reminds me of an older looking version of David Tennant. Plus the blue suit he has on is similar to Tenant's.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just looked up Capaldi's IMDB page and he was John Frobisher on Torchwood: Children of Earth. I remember that role, and how interesting and good it was. Now I'm even more excited he has been cast as the new Doctor.

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I've been getting the "older David Tennant" vibe too. Maybe they're long-lost cousins or something.

Incidentally, I think he looks more ready for the role in that picture than his three immediate predecessors do in theirs (though I think Smith's is just a set photo).

9. Green Lantern

Oh, I've just thought of something. Is Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor actually going to turn into the Valeyard?

In A Trial of A Timelord, the Master stated that the Valeyard takes place between his twelfth and final incarnation. Now if Hurt is actually one of the doctors incarnations, that'd make Capaldi the twelfth doctor, but the thirteenth body the doctor has had, so surely this is around the time the Doctor becomes the Valeyard, and it's clear Moffat has not forgotten the Valeyard due to the reference in the Name of the Doctor. And maybe The Eleventh Doctors dealings with the Hurt doctor in the 50th will darken him, so he gradually gets more malicious until finally during some point as Capaldi, he snaps and becomes the Valeyard. Or maybe the doctor is becoming aware of his mortality when he gets to being Capaldi, so he sort of breaks down somewhere in this incarnation and becomes the Valeyard. Maybe Clara will die horribly and this turns him. Plus quite some time ago today, I thought Capaldi would play the Valeyard well, so maybe this is why Moffat has cast him. Maybe it could be what Moffat has planned for Series 8. Heck, the reference in Name of the Doctor could be a little hint like RTD did in his series. ;)

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nope. The Valeyard was a distillation of the Doctor's darker persona, his evil side given physical form. You could say that he was created more from the Doctor than anything else.

11. Green Lantern

So I'm not just going mad then. :p

Good point, after examining it a bit, I was thinking he was looking very doctorish, reminded me of David tenant and Jon Pertwee the most in that picture.

12. Green Lantern

Ah, so he's like if the Dream Lord escaped into reality?

But either way, The Valeyard needs to escape into reality soon, as it's about this time it happens. Personally, I'd like to have The Valeyards original actor come back for an episode or two (or three (or four) ). Maybe even have his as a recurring villain for the twelfth doctor.

13. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perfect choice!

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No opinion as I'm not really that familiar with his work.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

His character Malcolm Tucker once threatened to snap some guys legs off at the knees and then stab him in the heart with his own fucking shins... But he said the f word excessively more than once during the threat.

Also, a predominant character in Torch Wood: Children of Earth.

Peter's name in the thread title?

Classy.

Fricking classy.

16. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Also, the Valeyard's plan involved changing the Doctor's past, so arguably all bets are off.

17. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I haven't really seen him in anything, so I'll have to stay neutral till I see something. I'm sure he'll do fine though. My partner wasn't impressed, even though he hasn't seen him in anything either. I don't know what he's fretting about really.

One thing that made me smile was doing a search on Wiki to see what he'd done in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi He was cast as a WHO doctor last year in World War Z and it passed us all by! :p

18. Green Lantern

Wouldn't that lead to a paradox then. Or is it not a fixed point in time? (but you'd think it was)

Then again, the Master said it was in-between the doctors twelfth and final incarnation. If Hurt is an incarnation, then it'd mean Capaldi is already the thirteenth incarnation, and plus we all know the doctor will most likely last beyond his thirteenth incarnation now, so it could be anywhere in-between the Capaldi doctor and some random one decades away. Maybe the Master wasn't really be as specific as once thought, maybe he just knew it was between the twelfth doctor and the last.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did describe him as a twisting of the potentials into a darker unlikely outcome... But then the Master showed up and said that the Valeyard was kicking his ass from one side of the Galaxy to the other, and that the only way to save himself was to save the Doctor from becoming the Valeyard.

20. Green Lantern

Hmm. The thing is though in Name of the Doctor, the Great Intelligence knew of the Valeyard.