Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Just set a 5K PR at 21:57. Finished 41st in a field of over a thousand, 10th in the M30-39 age group.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm working on undoing some damage. I'm also at the chiropractor's office, getting my body fixed.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last night I deadlifted 130% of my own weight, setting a personal record. I feel like I've been run over by a truck. :crazy:

Kor

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I deadlifted yesterday for the first time in a month. My body is not happy today.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm not a fan of deadlifts. Plus my gym is crappy so I'd have to use the cable machine if I decided to do them.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Deadlifts are my absolute favorite exercise, but you've got to have the right setup to do them. Luckily, my gym is pretty much tailored towards bodybuilding and powerlifting, so deadlifts are not a problem for me.

My goal is to deadlift 600 lbs by the end of the summer.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Good grief, I feel like such a newbie. :o

Kor

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

To be fair, I've been lifting for about 15 years. I honestly should be able to deadlift way more than 600 lbs by now, but my training isn't always very consistent.

9. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently out of action with torn ligaments in my right knee. It's a put a stop to rugby and leg weights so I'm just doing upper body in the gym. Very frustrating.

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It has been awhile since I posted in this thread.

I am now at 74.5kg and I want to get down to 70kg by the end of the year, and hopefully down to 65kg. The heaviest I have been is 83kg (about 2 years ago).

I am restricted on what exercise I can do because I have arthritis in my spine, both knees, both ankles and both shoulders. I am also in the thawing stage of a frozen shoulder, the pain has gone but I still have a limited range of movement.

My exercise therapist has given me exercises to strengthen my back. She has also said I should try to walking 10,000 steps a day.

So far I am week 3 of my steps. First week I managed 45,496 steps (nearly 32km) , the second week I managed 50,020 steps (35 km). This week I have managed 44,470 so far with two and a half days. On three days so far this week I have managed to reach 10,000 but only managed 8,000 steps yesterday.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't do a lot of weightlifting. I do a little but I mostly focus on bodyweight exercises and cardio. Weightlifting will help you bulk up if that's what your goal is but it won't get you functional fitness. It will get you very good at doing some very specific movements.

Not to mention that heavy lifting has a much greater risk of injury than bodyweight exercises, and if you don't really know what you're doing and do the same exercises over and over you risk uneven development of muscles, increasing injury risk even further. Pullups, pushups, burpees, indoor rock climbing, those are what I do. And a week or two ago I weighed in under 170 for the first time since I was 13. 170 is a healthy weight for me but I want to get down to 155 or so for the running speed boost for my fall races.

It's gotten to that point in the summer where it's hot enough that long runs are a lot harder to finish just by how fast you get dehydrated. It's kind of a trap too because you mgiht feel really good in the first few miles and go a little faster, then around mile 9 or 10 the dehydration hits you like a truck.

12. Disco

Back to leg weights but not running. My dead lift and squat have reduced dramatically but they'll get back :)

13. Disco

On the flip side if you do heavy weights correctly (along with stretches, diet, etc) you can reduce the chances of injury. It is a fine balance though.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Deadlifted 500 lbs this morning, which is damn impressive considering I haven't deadlifted at all in about 2 months.

15. Disco

Nice one :bolian:

My best was 180kg (400lbs?) for 6 reps back at the turn of the year.

16. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I've fell off the wagon a bit the last few months. Last night I did some cardio half assed. When the weather cools down, I'll be going full blast again...hopefully.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, my last couple months were pretty lazy as well. Between work, being sick, and this being the gloomiest summer ever, I was having a difficult time getting motivated.

Been hitting it pretty hard the last couple weeks, though. Finally back at it.

On the plus side, my period of laziness seems to have allowed my shoulder to heal. It's been bothering me for years!

18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have been walking 30 minutes a day since July 1st, usually in the morning. I feel better and my therapist said I look better. :)

I think I am going to add some type of muscle building routine next. :bolian:

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I split the seam in my shorts doing squats today. :/

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator