TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The current mid-cliffhanger storyline on Grimm involves voodoo/obeah zombies.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As are House of Usher, The Raven, and Tomb of Ligeia.

The Haunted Palace and The Conqueror Worm, not so much, although they both star Price as well.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I barely remember Serpent and the Rainbow, but pretty much everything since Dawn of the Dead has been Romero Zombies. The only exception I can think of off hand would be various episodes of Tales From The Crypt. And possibly Tales From The Darkside.

4. Greg Cox

You're right. I completely forgot that!

5. RJDiogenes

What's the premise of Grimm? Is it really supernatural, or is it more of a mutant or sub-species kind of thing?

6. Greg Cox

A little of both. There are sub-species of shape-changing beast-people, but there are also witches who can cast spells and curses. And we've seen at least one ghost . . . in a Halloween ep, natch.

Edit: It dawns on me that most of the "spells" involve potions of some sort, so there's a bit of wiggle room there.

7. Christopher

The Wesen are different subspecies, but many of them have powers that are undoubtedly magical or supernatural, and all of them have a kind of magical glamour that lets them pass as human. When they show their monster faces, normally only Grimms have the power to see their true forms. (They don't appear inhuman most of the time, because that would be expensive.) I'm pretty sure their true appearance doesn't show up on film or video either, so that's definitely supernatural.

8. RJDiogenes

So the zombies are literally animated corpses, or is there another explanation?

9. Christopher

^As I already said, the current Grimm storyline involves traditional voodoo-style zombies, which are not really "walking dead" (except fictionally) but people put in drug-induced suspended animation resembling death only to awaken in an obedient trance state.

10. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Not to further the Grimmification of the thread but...

Their true appearance can indeed be caught on film/video. Last season, a group of Wesen robbed a bank in their natural forms...everyone assumed they were wearing elaborate masks.
    The confusing issue is that for some Wesen, the size and shape of their natural forms often don't match their human camouflage. And an early episode had a porcupine like humanoid Wesen 'morph'...but his clothes didn't get punctured by dozens of quills that covered his body... :wtf:

11. Christopher

^But there are two stages of woge -- the lesser kind, usually involuntary, where only a Grimm can see their true appearance, and the full kind, usually voluntary, where anyone can see it. The case you describe is the latter, where they were fully revealed to everyone.

The Grimm Wiki says:
    That's ambiguously phrased, but I think it means that only a Grimm or Wesen can see a lesser woge even when it's captured on film or video. In "Three Coins in a Fuchsbau," at the ending,
    Nick watched an old film of Hitler giving a speech and saw him transform into a Blutbad. Clearly others would have seen that film over the decades, but they couldn't see the transformation, or else the truth about Hitler would've come out.

So clearly we're dealing with something at least as much metaphysical as physical. In the case of Hexenbiests, it's been indicated that there's a human half and a Wesen half inhabiting the same body, and that one can be killed without killing the other. Perhaps the same is true of other Wesen species, since sometimes one form lacks injuries that the other has sustained, and they sometimes have different abilities or behavioral tendencies in one form vs. the other. So Wesen seem to be some kind of compound entity, two organisms mystically coexisting in a single body.

12. Lee

Lee Commander Red Shirt

LOL! I actually have this on DVD, because I was once interested in Esperanto and tried (and failed) to learn it. It's actually an interesting (although flawed) movie.

13. RJDiogenes

I see. When I say Voodoo zombies, I mean an animated corpse.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Son of Sinbad. I had seen it before, at least partially, because I remember Vincent Price as Omar Khayyam. However, I didn't remember all the risque dance numbers (including pole dancing!) and some of the costumes even had pastie elements which was a bit odd. In fact, the movie doesn't have a whole lot else going on so it was a highlight. Price is pretty cool as Omar and a bit different character than he usually does but our hero is straight wonder bread.

I've seen a couple other Aladdin-type movies in the really light vein like this, I think by the 50's these type of movies were seen as camp stuff not to be taken seriously.

15. Greg Cox

Speaking voodoo and zombies, the new season of AMERICAN HORROR STORY looks like it's going to be working that territory. We've already got Angela Bassett as Marie Leveau . . . .

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Sweet. I'll have to take a look at that.

I missed Son of Sinbad. I've got too much going on to keep track of all this stuff. :(

I did remember to record Horror of Dracula, at least.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I watched a bit of Horror Castle last night. At first, I thought it was on video tape. I think certain film to digital transfers can give film that VCR look.

18. RJDiogenes

I missed Horror Castle, too, but I see that they've put Son of Sinbad (among other things genre) up on On Demand. :bolian:

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Saw Kwaidan last night. Very good.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A little tangential but looks like they're getting cheeky on Fri Oct 25

The Running Man
    The Fast and the Furious
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    The Black Swan
    Million Dollar Baby
    The Walking Dead

Of course, these aren't the ones most would be familar with...