Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--Background Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Nerys Ghemor, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

You're very welcome...I look forward to it, and I would love to hear more of your ideas! :)

2. Nerys Ghemor

Whew!

I just got the Star Trek Expanded Universe article on the Cardăsda language posted! Forgot what something means? Now you can go back and find out! I'll be keeping this up to date with each new section. Grammatical information might be forthcoming at some point, but you'll be seeing it in this thread first, whenever it comes.

Here ya go!

3. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Dammit! Just when I finally get a peaceful house and working speakers, it won't let me listen to this. It says your bandwidth is exceeded. But, if you want to send it to me via my e-mail, feel free.

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yes...I am with SL on this one..I WANT TO HEAR IT but I cant because of the bandwith thingy...send it to me with email...would be cool to hear...

Rob

5. Nerys Ghemor

Man...all I can say is that trying to upload any sort of audio onto the Internet for free is horribly difficult!

But I'll e-mail you guys.

6. Nerys Ghemor

Hey, just wanted to check and see if the e-mail arrived intact! Robert--I used the same address that you listed for your AIM in your profile.

Also...bocot kiba'avzayn edek! I wanted to give you guys a link to the Cardăsda article I created over at the Star Trek Expanded Universe wiki. It has a complete lexicon of all words and phrases that have appeared in the works I've posted (though I still have to update it for "Exits in the Haze"), so that way if you're reading and hit a term you haven't seen in awhile or I just flat-out confuse you, you can look it up. As in the instance above. ;)

7. Nerys Ghemor

OK...this is a ROUGH DRAFT of a concept I'm trying for a Sigils and Unions emblem. I decided that, given the spirit of my story--which is to break from your standard Federation-based tale, that I would take an entirely different approach to the logo design. I was kind of inspired by Ziyal's art here, and while of course her style blended Bajoran and Cardassian influences, I still took some cues off of that as to how Cardassian art might look. (Though this, again, has certain Federation influences.)

I am definitely going to have to redraw this (got some problems with the ship that I can see, plus it's woefully obvious that I didn't use a ruler)...but I finally got the Cardassian-like font looking for the most part like I want it. (Though that thing on the bottom of the vertical staff is going to have to move...I think it belongs up top.) And that's the basic idea of how I want to depict the ship.

But...here's the basic idea. Do you guys think this is TOO out-there for a Star Trek series? Or do you think that, Sigils and Unions being what it is, I can get away with it?

[​IMG]

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Its actually pretty good. Though you might want to put the STAR TREK above the Cardassian ship and eliminate the second sigils and unions above your name..then center your name beneath the ship...

Rob

9. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks for looking! I'll keep it in mind, though to be honest I don't know if I'd want to rearrange it that way or not.

10. SLWalker

It's an original series with a ton of world-building. Heck with it, Nerys -- you don't need to make it look more 'standard'. No more than I do my covers for AotW in any 'standard' format. ::grins:: I think it looks awesome. If you were into computer work, and illustrator, I'd strongly suggest vectoring it. But even as it is, a finalized version would look pretty neat.

And I promise, I will catch up on reading and everything else. ::laughs:: I've been... obviously busy. ;) But for the good of ficcers, at least!

11. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks for looking! Unfortunately my computer-drawing and photomanipulation skills are very, very primitive--which is why I do everything by hand. (So yes, I had an extra incentive to want to break with the standard "Trek look." ;) ) So I wouldn't have any way to vector it. If I did, though, wouldn't I lose the clearly hand-drawn look to it, even on the final version? The textured paper, the slight imperfections due to markers and the human hand, etc.?

12. SLWalker

Oh, yeah, you would. But I meant, in case you ever wanted to have a... word mark, is the term, I believe. It means a specific, visually identifiable brand that automatically ties peoples minds to your works. A graphic design term; I actually used to have a word mark for the Journey, and I suppose even the bottom footer on the eBook of ONOW is a watermark for AotW.

For this on a cover or as a website, that'd be awesome; the vector would be more something you'd use to make banners of varying sizes without losing the crystal clear quality of the original fonts/design, since vector isn't a lossy format. Know what I mean? Like for banner exchanges and that.

13. Nerys Ghemor

Yeah, that makes sense.

What I usually do, though, is scan stuff at a really high resolution (300 dpi or so), so I have a file I can size down to whatever the purpose. What you're seeing there, I had to take down to about 35% of its original size.

I suppose, if I wanted a less ornate emblem, I'd do a version of the Gălor without the text. The one trouble, though, would be losing that hand-drawn look, but I guess I could make up for it the same way, by just scanning it in at a really high resolution.

14. Nerys Ghemor

All right, guys...here's the final Sigils and Unions emblem!

Robert--I know I didn't take your advice exactly as you had in mind, but you did get me thinking about how much I had on the paper at one time. What I saw of Ziyal's art style made me realize I needed to bring out a bit more of the austerity of Cardassian art. (Her subjects were often quite delicate and nature-oriented, but the colors and austerity of the art seemed very Cardassian, to me.) I ended up striking my name instead.

I altered the "Cardassian font" to focus less on readability and more on style, so I felt keeping the truly English script was more important than keeping the name.

[​IMG]

As before...it still is not "perfect." But I WANT the traditional, drawn-by-hand look, instead of the sleek, computer-perfect look.

15. Nerys Ghemor

16. Nerys Ghemor

17. Nerys Ghemor

Finally got a drawing of my AU Dukat (i.e. "the Good Twin") that REALLY looks the way I see him in my head! :)

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=95195

Just thought I'd let you know in case anybody's interested!

18. Nerys Ghemor

I have some really good news! I just posted my first Cardăsda lesson to Ad Astra--where there's a forum thread where the audio should remain indefinitely! :)

Want to hear what my take on the Cardassian language sounds like? Well, wander on over to Ad Astra to find out!

http://www.adastrafanfic.com

19. Nerys Ghemor

20. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, Nerys!

EXCELLENT world-building!

Also, like the nice explanation for why the color of kanar seems to change throughout the show--different "brands", as made by different "races".

I...don't think I could embellish more without basically repeating what everyone else has said--so I'll just say: great work! :techman: