7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 22, 2012.

?

Grade "The Power Of Three"

Poll closed Oct 24, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

32 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Good

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. The little boxes will make you angry

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I'm going to watch this twice before chiming in. It seems like this season (series) the first viewing I find a bunch of negative things I don't like but then on my next viewing, while still there, only then do I really absorb the positive aspects of the episode to balance it out.

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I thought it was good. Enjoyed seeing UNIT being handled better than they ever were under the auspices of RTD, and I definitely got a kick out of the new UNIT Commander.

Looking forward to next week.

4. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The first episode this season I haven't enjoyed that much. It just felt incredibly flat.

5. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh look, another 39 minutes of a problem and 30 seconds to fix it. Then 30 seconds of "lets be deep"

6. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

What the fuck was that? Some nonsense bollocks who are Emporer Palpatine want to fuck off the human race for some reason, and the best way they can think of is sending some cubes that do fuck all for a year and then give 1/3 of people a heart attack after a long visual countdown?

Why do they keep getting away with this moronic shite.

7. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because three-year olds will watch whatever is in front of them?

See: Teletubbies, Barney, etc.

I said to my wife last night, "It's like this isn't so much Doctor Who as it's The Adventures Of Young Doctor Who!" Like some watered down, dumbed down version for kids to watch after school. Like when they took James Bond and made that cartoon about him as a kid, and it had all the visual and musical elements, but it was just a dumb cartoon for kids.

That's what this show has become: a dumb cartoon for kids.

They made the mistake of taking a show that kids could watch too, and turning it into a kids show that adults can watch too. There's a difference there, and we're seeing it.

8. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm giving it a good just for the nod to the Brig.

The cubes and holo villain were really just the background to the Doctors relationship to Amy and how it's coming to an end, so I don't really care about quickly they wrapped it up. Id like to know how long those people went without oxygen to their brains before being brought back.

9. Ghost Bones

Very good point. It's like going from Jurassic Park to Beethoven (about that dog).

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

have to say im really not sure where "The Power of Three" comes from, I dont think the idea that the Doctor, Rory and Amy are best as a unit, it was highlighted all that well, or at all in the episode. The half in, half out approach, the Ponds have continues to do nothing for the show.

I always thought this was a poor produced plot, why is it that over a year, the cubes were just left where they were, be that in bins, or knife and fork containers, and oddly in hospitals. Seriously could the production not have moved them around a bit.

I also do not buy that they just be left around for a year, people would have gotten bored, and put them in the back of the cupboard.

As for the Brigs daughter, I guess its nice, but seems a little forced and out of no where, I mean has she ever been mentioned before?

The talk of this being child friendly, well it would have made a decent Sarah Jane Adventures plot.

11. Ghost Bones

Child friendly except for Amy's "Och aye, ah've always wanted a troop of soldiers tay give me a raight good seeing to, hoots mon".

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Tonight's DW was... nice, fun, interesting... Not a mini-blockbuster, but... Seemed to belong in a previous season, really. Steven Berkoff was somewhat underused ... and surprisingly restrained!

Brian needs to be a companion. Seriously. Somebody should do a book about his travels after DOAS.

13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's with the Scot bashing? It's offensive, she is Scottish, she has a Scottish accent. She doesn't talk like a bad comedy stereotype.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Another solid and very enjoyable episode for me, and it was nice to see Steven Berkoff in it as well.

Great stuff....so far i'm 4 for 4 for this season......and next weeks looks good with the return of River and the angels.......cant wait.

15. Samurai8472

Mild spoiler for next week that was hinted in this episode

Amy's reading glasses are ready due to the Optometrist leaving a message

16. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Liked it. Not perfect, and treading ground that's a little familiar after The Lodger, but a nice little story about the relationship between the three main characters. Enjoyed the one-to-one between Amy and the Doctor, and it was nice to see the nod to Lethbridge-Stewart. The Freak Of The Week was a bit generic, but since it was little more than a McGuffin that's hardly a crippling failure. This is one of those episodes, like Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, that feels like it would stand up to repeat viewings.

So even with a bit of a dip in quality last episode, I think that's four-for-four this season.

Personally, I think that under Moffat the show is as smart as it's ever been. And wasn't it originally conceived as a kids' show that adults could watch with them?

17. Ghost Bones

I'm not Scot bashing, just Amy bashing. And she does talk like that when I'm restating what she said in a comic way that makes its meaning clearer.

18. Samurai8472

Anyone notice this?

When the episode hit's Christmas time there's a song playing at Rory's hospital

lyrics

".....Does he ride a red nose reindeer?!"

It's the same song that played when Mickey noticed the doctor was coming back in "The Christmas Invasion"

19. Ghost Bones

That's because it's the song that's played absolutely everywhere, all day long and all over Britain when it's Christmas. And I'm not joking. It's Slade. Of course, they don't actually play music in hospitals, but I guess they thought the audience might be too stupid to realise it's Christmas just with "December" on the screen and tinsel everywhere.

20. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I feel it's just as good as last week's, although I still prefer the first two episodes this series.

Incidentally, a black cube has just followed me on Twitter. :wtf: