The Photoshop Thread, Part IV

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shaw, Apr 15, 2009.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thumbs up on the 50 ft. Yeoman. :techman:

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah, that's really awesome!

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but you assembled a sleeve from scratch, getting the folds and shading just right. Very nice. :) Doesn't look easy to me, but then I'm more of a hack who relies upon being able to find pieces from other images and cannibalize them to fit.

I need to get back into combing through on-line Photoshop tips again... lots of info out there, making it difficult to find what's worthwhile. Any particular tutorials/websites you'd recommend?

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian:
    I used TOS screencaps for parts of the uniform, that's where the folds came from - I didn't draw them from scratch, or anything.

And as for tutorials - I don't use them much. Most tutorial sites have so much info it's hard to find what you want. My techniques are pretty basic, really. Masking/blending is the main one to Google for.

5. Spanky

Spanky Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Previous Archer

I got bored and decided to make an animated-y Archer, but I'm posting it unfinished because I know I'll never finish it. It's even cruder than TAS too. You're welcome.

Edit: Here's a non-terrifying Archer who's eyes won't show up in your nightmares.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the tips. I've not yet gotten into masking and blending, relying mostly on layering, blur/sharp, and opacity. I'll have to expand into those. CS6 has some terrific features, with a cool heuristic "object identifier", making it very easy to cut and paste pieces as layers instead of tediously outlining what you want. I'm still on CS2... :(

7. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still on Photoshop 7!

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Looks like it could be from TAS to me actually, Spanky.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know I'm a huge fan, Chris3123, but why not use the most well known "S" in all of Trek... SPOCK?!

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

He's in place now, you try and remove him and he'll go Sisko on your ass :)

11. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

12. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ You must be working on texturing. Very nice. I especially like the one with Deanna. The background against her face looks nice.

Nice. It also would have been nice if they actually made that movie. Too bad.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Not to be a dick, but looking at the most recent images added, it looks like someone made screencaps of TNG HD and just ran them through a filter app like Instagram. :shrug:

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

That's possible, but this is called the "Photoshop thread," so I'll give the benefit of the doubt. You can also create those effects in PS, you know. ;)

16. doubleohfive

Oh I know. I'm just positing that it was a filter app. Which at the end of the day, isn't really that bad a thing (I use them too!) but there's a world of difference between importing an image through one of those apps and actually creating something through Photoshop.

To clarify, I do not mean to impugn the talent of the poster in question, I'm just thinking out loud.

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

Nothing's wrong with thinking out loud. :) "World of difference" depends on the quality of the screen caps (if they were screen caps, and many people might not have gotten TNG in HD yet) and the skill involved. We don't know if this person is a beginner or not or what they used, but the effort is nice.

18. doubleohfive

Thanks. All I meant by "world of difference" was that it's an easy thing to import a photo, pick a filter, and click "save" on your phone.

Taking a regular photo and tweaking it to achieve the same effect requires a lot more patience and skill.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Very true. :)

20. doubleohfive

I only know because I do both!