JMS teases Babylon 5 feature film at Comic-Con

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It should also be noted that those failures were not a result of the material, but complications on the production side. Hell, Crusade was essentially a victim of deliberate sabotage!

Quite the opposite. Over the years he's been very straight with the fans that he won't talk about things unless they're actually going to happen. Indeed, I think Jerry Doyle tried something like this a few years ago (getting a new project going by first getting people excited for the idea) and JMS was substantially less than impressed IIRC.

So when he says he's going to write a script and believes he can raise funding if WB passes, I have no reason to doubt either of those statements. That's how credibility works.

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. I love B5, all the way. But JMS needs to let it go. It had a good run, still has a loyal fan base, and it will be remembered for a while to come.

But it was even stated in one of the episodes. "This is not some deep space franchise!" And it seems as if he wants to make one out of it. Me, personally? I don't think there's a story to tell anymore.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

We all saw a very sexy clip in Crusade, but we need to see a feature length version of Snow White and the Seven Narns.

It's gotta be better than Snowwhite and the Huntsman.

4. Triple-F

Triple-F Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That’s more opinion than fact, by jms or anyone else who claims it. When the series succeeded (and B5 had PLENTY of production issues) that was down to things like story, scripts, actors, FX, etc. When the spin-offs and movies largely failed it was also down to things like story, script, actors FX, etc. What happened with Crusade was just nasty, and makes it a separate issue. But as for the rest, it’s not as easy as blaming it on the every present production issues - it’s not like B5 ever had a ton of money.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Law of averages, right? Sooner or later, we've got to get a quality B5 product, right? Anyway, for what it's worth, I did enjoy Crusade. The rest were okay, with the exception of Legends of the Rangers, which I thought was Grey 17 is Missing (minus the Marcus/Neeron subplot, which was pure awesome) bad.

They cursed in the Veronica Mars movie.

6. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Attention, Elvis has left the planet.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, Legend of The Rangers, was a Pilot, and aside from the silly weapons system (Which was indeed a Budget issue experiment that didn't work out) it had alot of promise. Imagine if you were to just judge Babylon 5 The original Series on The Gathering. The Gathering turned alot of people off (as did much of Season 1) because of the Universe building, but, many who stuck with it, found a whole new appreciation for them, once they knew what was coming, and could see everything they were actually doing. LotR could've been great, if it'd had the chance to grow. Crusade, IMHO, was still pretty good, despite TNT poisoning it in the crib, and the unfilmed scripts were amongst the best, and would've really had the Series hitting it's stride by the end of S1. I enjoyed Third Space, and thought both In The Beginning and A Call to Arms were great. River of Souls had some goofiness, but, I think, all in all it wasn't terrible, just not great.

Lost Tales probably shouldn't have been made, they cut the budget on him, way too low, and he had nothing of the prior sets or CGI files to work with

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I expect a movie would likely be about the Telepath war.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Maybe JMS will make a movie about a long walk. A long, dull, pointless, boring walk. Across Minbar.

That he won’t finish.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Turns out the Telepath War's already been made:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM[/yt]

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Probably not too far from the truth. From what little has been said in the short stories and novels that touch on the subject, the Telepath War wasn't quite a war in the traditional sense. IIRC it's actually a point of contention for Bester who gets annoyed when the rest of the galaxy referrs tot it an 'The Telepath Incident'.

I may have mis-read things but I got the impression that it was a three way conflict with Psi Corps making their move on the mundanes, who fight back as best they can, all the while Lyta's resistance are running their own separate campaign, tearing into Psi Corps' operations from the inside.

It *could* work as a movie, but I think it'd be better served with something a little more long form, like a cable mini-series, comic book run or some-such. See my previous comments RE: The Dilgar War. Pretty much the same issues apply here too.

13. Guy Gardener

But the ISA would have done the right thing. Given the Rogue Teeps a couple shitty planets and recognized their government just like Byron wanted.

The only reason that there would be a war is if they wanted Earth too, or instead.

And really? Why wouldn't they?

Especially if mundanes keep having telepathic babies.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good call JMS, why actually write the movie and secure the funding before announcing it? I can't foresee anything going wrong, looking forward to being there day one.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If a Babylon 5 movie happens, than a DS9 movie should happen too. I'm just not sure either are viable in this day and age, especially when they've both been off the air and off the radar for so long.

16. Guy Gardener

Lets imagine that it was the same terrorist who blew up Babylon 1, 2 and 3... And that he was on Babylon 4 and was about to blow up that station when Sheridan stole it.

I see a split screen showing 4 eras of this mans life simultaneously as he conspires to destroy all the Babylon Stations and generates the resources to put his plan into action.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the voices in his head telling him to terrorize these Space Stations sounded an awful hell of a lot like Alkesh.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Now that TNT is having success with original productions like Falling Skies, they should redeem themselves by backing a new B5 spin-off series. :D

Too bad that it's too late to resume Crusade. That would have been a great series.

18. Guy Gardener

Did you see Evil Dead 2?

They changed the cast, and redid the entire first movie in the first 5 minutes of Movie 2 while the opening credits rolled.

What if they did a parallel show to Crusade?

Who the fuck so ever are having their adventures but every week we find out what's happening on the Excalibur through exposition.

Or, and don't fret with on this but what about "Crusade: The Third Shift"

All the adventures taking place while Gideon is sleeping.

The guy playing Eilerson was already old as dirt, so he wouldn't look that different and Carrie Dabro is under all that alien make up that we wouldn't really notice the 15 years since we parted ways...

Hell, Carrie was in 2 episodes of B5?

GOOD FOR HER!

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys, I have an incredible announcement to share with all of you. You're going to love this. I'm currently writing a sequel for Serenity! Okay, sure, I don't have a studio, a budget, a cast, the rights, or a director, but the film is officially in development. I just wrote Serenity 2 and some plot details on a napkin. I'll keep you informed of the details as they develop.

Oh, what the hell, since I love you guys so much here's a little spoiler. RoboWash!

20. Asbo Zaprudder

I would much rather watch a reboot of Crusade than the train wreck that Falling Skies currently is. Unfortunately, I doubt the suits see or ever saw things the same way as me.