Who would you cast for an imaginary TNG Reboot

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by talon1579, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I hereby nominate Gillian Anderson, but for the role of Pulaski.

I'll say that I'm hypocritical if I'm against Courtney Cox because of her hair colour. I already said above that the continuity there should be scrapped.

Couldn't the writers revive Vash instead and cast her in that role?

Isabella Rossellini is too old for the role.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean Harold Perineau?

Well, I guess since McCoy got much hotter in the reboot, why not Pulaski...

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How about Colin Salmon as Picard?

5. DevilEyes

That's the first Picard suggestion in this thread that I like! :techman: Salmon is great, he has the presence and he's the right age. And I've had a thing for him since Prime Suspect... :)

(I'd use the opportunity to cast Victoria Smurfit as one of his love interests... maybe even Crusher... they had good chemistry when he guest starred on "Trial & Retribution"!)

I also like the suggestion of Brian Austin Green for Riker.

6. The Trekster

The Trekster Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Apart from Data, I don't see any reason why they would need to be recast at all for a reboot.

TOS got to do it with their films. And by that I mean they just went for the whole, 'It's years later and everyone got gray and fat" vibe. Which totally worked because everyone loves those characters and the actors who play them.

Although I will say that Abrams' Kirk was better than Shatner.

7. DevilEyes

^ I think this is one of those 'just for fun' hypothetical casting threads...

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Colin Salmon would be perfect, despite all the cannon purists getting their panties in a knot for casting a black Picard.

9. DevilEyes

Well, Picard being white isn't really an important and integral part of the character any more than Kirk having brown eyes... Picard is human, French, middle-aged when he becomes the captain of the Enterprise, likes Earl Gray tea and Shakespeare, has problems with dealing with children, his family owns a vineyard... that's it really. Being black wouldn't change anything about him. (While OTOH, Sisko being black became an integral/important part of the character with "Far Beyond the Stars".)

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Oh, I completely agree. Colin Salmon is one of the few people who has the presence of Patrick Stewart.

11. Christopher

I know. It's fun to get canon purists' panties in a knot. :evil: Especially when their objections are based on race.

But it really shouldn't be any more incongruous than a supremely British actor like Sir Patrick playing a Frenchman. And there are French people of African descent -- not to mention a number of African countries that are Francophone as a vestige of colonialism.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of offbeat casting, you know what would be perfect? Maggie Q as Q! :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I remember a four or five page long debate in the General Sci-Fi forum when Idris Elba was cast as some background God in Thor. Now, Idris Elba is supremely talented and he was only playing a background character. So what do you suppose the one thing everyone was talking about?

13. Christopher

^I know. I heard the same whining every time I proposed Gina Torres as Wonder Woman. "She can't be black, she's Greek!" Uhh, no. First, the Amazons of myth weren't Greeks, they were enemies of the Greeks. Second, the Amazons of post-Crisis DC Comics were assembled from cultures all around the world and already include the occasional ethnically African member such as Philippus. Third, Diana was molded from clay and given life by the gods, so she doesn't have to be the same ethnicity as her mother.

14. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I can 'dig it.';)

Indeed.

And yet, they'll have Jake Gyllenhaal as 'Prince of Persia'...and Mickey Rourke wanting to play the historical Asian ruler, Genghis Khan...(the latter project, I was ready to 'talk to some people' because that would have been insane).

You can't really appreciate Pine's Kirk unless you've seen Shatner's version...but I definitely agree.

15. Christopher

^I don't think "better" is a meaningful assessment there. Shatner and Pine are playing two rather different versions of James Kirk. Even aside from the differences in character history, they're played by actors with different styles as preferred by different generations. Shatner's Kirk was the classically trained Shakespearean-actor version, while Pine's is more in the modern, less theatrical style of acting. So it's kind of an apples-and-oranges thing.

16. Joel_Kirk

Alright.

....But I still like Pine's Kirk better.(I prefer apple Pine to orange Shatner; or orange Pine to apple Shatner, if you will).;):p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  17. Christopher

"Orange Pine?" Sounds like a mixup at the household cleaner factory... ;)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lexa Doig as Data.

19. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Jim Parsons of Big Bang Theory as Data.

20. Joel_Kirk

:lol:

I'm cleaning with my orange Pine, but I'm drinking my apple Shatner on ice...