What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

just about to start Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution by Keith R.A. DeCandido one of my favorite Star Trek novelists so this should be good.

3. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Thorn Fall by Lindsay Buroker

4. Velocity

Digging for Richard III by Mike Pitts

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The Importance Of Being Earnest, a choice inspired by Stephen Fry's recent references to his interest in the play in particular and Oscar Wilde in general. Very energetic, lighthearted, and quotable farce. Laugh-out-loud funny.

Before that, Lexicon by Max Barry. Requires considerable suspension of disbelief - its premise is that people's brains can be compromised by the urptterance of carefully-constructed words - but comes across as a smart Dan Brownesque novel.

Before Lexicon, Ursula LeGuin's bona fide classic The Left Hand Of Darkness. Ostensibly Space Opera, this is also a masterful dissection of sexual politics and it incorporates a fine survival trek story to boot.

Between Lexicon and Earnest, a short story or two and another chapter of Finnegans Wake. Jesus.

Recently got Neil Gaiman's Stardust (novel version) free on Kindle as part of a promotion. Planning to read that soon; it's short and the movie does have its charms.

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Momentarily distracted by The Empty Throne, the latest in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories, I am now returning to Winter World, on how various animals survive winter.

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Life magazines from the early 60's.

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am continuing listening to the Tesla biography but I am also read Hugh Howie Must Die! by Michael Bunker as an ebook. I don't usually read zombie stories but in this novella the zombies only crave the brains of writers, but only GOOD writers. Many well-known writers appear in this book - some are killed and zombified but many find that the zombies don't want to eat them at all. Very funny.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I put the Astounding anthology on hold for a while-- it's just too consistently lame-- and switched over to the Draco's Tavern anthology by Niven. That's more like it.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Currently reading Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. It's based on a true story, about Aboriginals in Canada who fought in WW1 as snipers. Still early in it, but it's quite good and feels very well researched, with lots of gritty details.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/823411.Three_Day_Road

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The Stories Behind Every U2 Song by Niall Stokes. Got it for Christmas.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer. A both thrilling and funny Regency romance.

In order to scare off a rake who wants to elope with her sister, the heroine lets herself get abducted by the rake (she disguises herself and he mistakes her for the sister). The rake who is actually more of a gentleman than we thought feels obliged to marry her in order to rescue her reputation. However, the heroine refuses as she's unaware that the rake has genuinely fallen in love with her (as she has for him).
    That leads to a pretty crazy and rather funny series of misunderstandings, flights, persuits and even duels. The interference of well meaning friends and family members confuses the matter even more.
    However, after she shot him and he stabbed her (both accidentially, though) there's a happy end.

LOL sounds confusing? It is indeed but it's so well written and the dialogues are so hilarious that the book makes a very good read for rainy weekends.

13. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Shining" by Stephen King.

I just got to where they arrive at the Overlook. I have a good feeling about their stay - Jack will finish his book and overcome his anger issues, he and his wife will rekindle their marriage, and the kid will learn how to read. (I need to read something uplifting after A House In the Sky)

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The Sleuth Sisters by Maggie Pill. A cozy mystery set in Michigan.

15. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

Earth by David Brin.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oh, that sounds very interesting.

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yes... that's how I remember it... :shifty:

Currently reread9ing Adventures In The Screen Trade buy William Goldman to get back into this writing thingy.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It's a heartwarming tale, especially when they gather around the fire at the end.

19. Velocity

Mind Sweeper by AE Jones

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

"Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly