BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Trekker4747, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is great, because then the price of black and white style Kindles will drop to allow for the new technology and then I can get one. :D

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well some people are of course those who have brand loyalty (and every company has them), but for myself I have both Mac products and others (currently HP, Dell) for computers for MP3 players it took me a while to get an ipod (as I used an incredibly cheap Sansa instead (until I needed much larger and easier to organize files) and I have no interest at all in the iphone.

For myself this device for price did what I had hoped netbooks would allow, but I hated them as they could perform the tasks I wanted they could not provided the movement range, and ease of use (not the software or the hardware, though to be far I didn't really care for that aspect of the two netbooks I had) but how I could physical interact with the device.

3. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We'll probably need that tree to absorb the carbon dioxide released into the air generating the power to recharge the iPad.

Really people, much of the paper produced in the last several decades is made from modest sized pine "trees" grown as a crop on tree farms. We should feel less guilty about utilizing them than food crops like wheat and corn because we are using a much greater percentage of the plant. The difference is that the trees grown to produce pulp take a dozen years or so to grow, instead of the few months for many food crops.

I find concern over the chemicals used to bleach the pulp used in paper manufacturing somewhat more creditable. A beige to light brown pine wood color would probably be a little easier on most people's eyes anyway.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Bingo.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I want one, and I am going to buy one.

The use for me will be to replace my small laptop I take with me on business trips I take. I need a computing device that allows me to be entertained on long flights (check), I need the ability to record audio during conferences (check), I need the ability to take notes during the conferences (check), and I need the ability to connect to the Internet and email while I'm out of town (check.) For me, it does everything I need it to on these trips, and comes with a format that is easier to handle, carry, and deal with than a laptop.

Plus, I want to be able to use it around the home and be able to connect to the Internet at my home downstairs (my main computer is up stairs) while I watch TV and such. It, to me, seems like it will be much more portable than my laptop could ever be. I foresee myself taking it to places I'd never be able to with my laptop.

When I can save up the money, I'll be going for the 16GB WIFI 3G version.

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Commodore Commodore

As an owner of a netbook I really can't see the appeal of an iPad. For me I just can't stop thinking about the things it can't do. That being said, I've never seen the appeal of the whole tablet thing anyway. I much prefer a keyboard and mouse as a means of input than touch.

Charlie

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Just picked up a netbook yesterday and am loving it so far, though I immediately realized how it could never replace a full laptop.

Then again, my primary motivator was for something I could watch movies on during a flight to Phoenix that I'm taking next week. The fact that I can do email and web-browsing on this during the week (work has a very restrictive firewall so I was bringing in my laptop) and that it has an actual keyboard (I don't care for virtual ones) is a huge plus. Much lighter than my laptop, which my shoulder will appreciate.

I'm also not limited to the apps that Apple or anyone else decides to approve.

It was also a heck of a lot cheaper, and I can get internet non-wirelessly by tethering to my Windows Mobile phone.

8. mswood

Seriously. You already have seen a poster who doesn't buy just due to the company name.

Rationally look at the iPod. How many units have been sold. How many of them were bought by people with not only a purchase history with apple, but a blind devotion to the company.

Do you rationally think its even 10% of the people who have purchased the product?

Because if that was the case, then you would think their computers sales (which have grown) would have skyrocketed. That hasn't happened. Yet they keep making them, so clearly it isn't from lack of availability.

9. mswood

Yeah when I bought my first netbooks they were (pretty close to what my boyfriend paid for his ipad). It's nice that the price on them have come down dramatically. And I am sure the netbooks have probably improved improved in quality (typical over time for electronics). I gave my last one to my niece as a starter computer.

I also agree about the keyboard, if my primary purpose for use was data entry or writing, I would always stick with a keyboard. But I do those things on my real computers.

I also generally don't use much in the way of apps. As it's not what I use the device for. Reading, listening to music, and watching video. Thats its in a nutshell.

Basically taking my an mp3 player, my portable dvd player, and the Kindle I was going to get and making it one device that is no larger then my portable dvd player (actually volume wise a little less). And with the last few years converting all my dvds and cd to digital formats have a huge, huge library of material to just plug in choose what I want for that week and off to go.

I can't see this or any tablet I have seen (on market of being developed) being able to take the place of a full computer, at least not in the next few years.

Hell even after all this time, laptops can't truly compete with desktops to power, storage, and price. Yet there are reasons I have both.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. mswood

I would beat that by the end of the month there will be a crack to tether to your cell device. I already know several people who are working on that.

11. Trekker4747

A laptop or netbook will be cheaper, do all of this, and more. The iPad won't let you multitask or play anything with Flash (which includes the bulk of the internet). I don't see how the iPad would be any more (or less) "portable" than a laptop as both can be carried and used anywhere so I'm not sure what you mean by that. But a laptop can do much, much more than the iPad can.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Perhaps a laptop *can* do more than the iPad, but not everyone needs that. The iPad, OTOH, is perfect for what I want. I suppose part of the reason I got one is indeed because it's an Apple product. Fine. I get that. But it's mostly because its feature set meshes nicely with what I need.

13. mswood

Trekker4747

I can't speak for Brent, but perhaps what he means isn't simply the ability to move a product from point of a home to another.

For example I watched Trek last yesterday laying down on my back holding up to the ceiling my ipad (its one of my common reading positions). It is exceptionally difficult for me to do this with a laptop or a netbook. Exceptionally.

Now I can prop myself up closer to a sitting position and watch something (or read, or type) with a laptop, netbook, but the position is not anywhere near the same.

Or laying in bed, I could lay down on my back and keep my neck turned to one side (and try a fairly uncomfortable reach around for my typing). Again the laptop or netbook is very close to me, but it doesn't allow as much freedom of movement for comfort.

Hell today I was in kitchen watching Pacific 3rd episode (I had yet to watch it) and cooking. I was able to do this holding the ipad with one hand, and walking around the kitchen cooking with the other.

This was something I was not comfortable at all doing with open flame and a netbook (let alone a heavier laptop).

Now of course, any real tablet should allow you that type of freedom. SO if you don't like Apple, or specifically the ipad, there are of course other vendors to supply that same type of experience.

Or if you don't want that same mobility, then stick with a laptop, or the even more fixed desktop.

I actually use my desktop's far, far more then any of my laptops. I just feel cheated that those don't really do what I want (not programs of which they are great at), but being truly able to do the things i want and moving around the house, getting in pretty much whatever position I personally find comfortable.

14. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Not sure if you should iPad with one hand and cook with the other :) You do make a very good point, though, about what those laptops and netbooks can do well: Nothing, nada. Zilch. I have to use one of those every day for work, for more than ten years now. I hate them, and I don't own one, not even one of those much loved MacBooks. I do have seven desktops,though, and soon, two ipads.

Treker, you are comparing apples with pears here.

15. mswood

Oh laptops and to a much lessor degree netbooks certainly serve legitimate purposes. But I have never really understood the need to have a powerful laptop (unless its all you have and you need to be mobile which some jobs absolutely require) when you have a desktop. I never use my laptop for anything serious. I use my desktop always for that sort of stuff. The mobil stuff for me has always been as a media station. And frankly I have never been satisfied with it for that purpose. To bulky, to many parts, and too much weight.

16. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

You can't be serious!
    ;)

17. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I'll grant you that a Netbook is cheaper, and will do all of that, and more. But I don't need "the more." I'd rather have "the simpler."

I disagree about the format, I think the iPad is easier to handle, will be easier to travel with, will be quicker to launch apps I need, and is just an easier format to deal with. I extend that to all "Tablet" type devices, or devices that do not have lids, i.e., one flat surface with the screen.

I understand it doesn't support Flash, and the lack of that disappoints me. There is hope that software updates will add that support in the future.

I'm not saying it is perfect, but for me, the iPad fits my needs.

18. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

My question is why argue against the iPad?

Not every product is meant for everyone. Heck, not every Apple product is for everyone who uses Apple products.

I, personally, don't have an iPhone or iPod touch. I don't need one or want one. I've been using Macs since the late 1980s, but only buy products that fit my needs and budget.

When the iPhone came out I thought it looked interesting, but just not for me. But I surely didn't argue that because I didn't want/need one of them that there was no one else that would want/need them. Similarly, I don't use Windows, but you sure didn't see me arguing that no one should use Windows 7 just because that product wasn't for me.

People made the same arguments against the iPhone when it was released as they are now making against the iPad. The thing is, it isn't what is being argued that is so bizarre, it is that anyone feels the need to argue against a product at all that is what is so odd here. Millions of products are released every year that I have no want/need for, but not a single one motivates me to rally against them (or wish for their failure for that matter).

And in the end, that is the true difference between those who don't need/want a product (like in my case) and those who bare an irrational hatred of a product and/or brand.

If people buy this thing because it is the latest fad/trend, fine... good for them. If people have a good use for this thing, even better. Originally many people saw no place for the iPhone, and now there are many companies making similar products. So the iPad will either fail, serve a small market or create a larger market for such devices... but there is no reason to be upset or worried about it, or even attempt to sway the outcome by peer pressure (as we are seeing around here).

I don't want/need an iPad. For those who do, I hope you enjoy your purchase and you get a lot out of it. :techman:

19. Trekker4747

I was having a discussion about this, or something similar, with a guy a couple weeks ago. He wanted my opinion on whether he should get a netbook or a laptop. Looking at some prices I told him he could get a laptop that was more powerful than the netbook he was looking at and it was cheaper. He ended up agreeing with me, got the laptop, and he talked to me a few days later and told me how glad he was he got the laptop over the netbook.

Why pay more for less is my question.

And, IMHO, the iPad is a lot less than what even the cheapest of netbooks/laptops provide. Again, between the lack of multitasking and Flash, no removable media, no USB ports, etc.

It just seems to me -and this isn't necessairly directed at you Brent- people want to buy this thing just because it's flashy and it's made by Apple. Sure it's lighter than a laptop, perhaps easier to use and carry and handle, but given what it does compared to a laptop is it worth the extra cost?

Why pay more for something that can do less than something that is cheaper? Hell, the advertising and press-releases for this thing alone say it's not meant to replace computers but to supplement them. So if you buy this thing you may still have to have a computer to do things like wordprocessing, heavy internet surfing, video watching, printing, stuff with CDs and USB thumbdrives, etc.

So, again, I ask why buy a device that's meant to only augment a computer? Why not just buy a portable computer? You can toss out an old desktop, buy a cheap laptop and boom you have everything the iPad is and everything a computer is in one package. Toss out that old computer and you've got to buy the iPad and a computer.

So I'm sitting here scratching my head what the "use" and function is of this iPad. It's nothing more than an expensive, light, neutered netbook. And, seriously, no multitasking? Does that extend to browser windows? I have four open right now! Does the thing have a calculator built into it? Would you have to close the browser window to use the calculator? Can you use IM/chat programs with it? Can you play music on it while you surf (d'oh! no multitasking!)

I would reccomend to anyone looking at the iPad to seriously look over some good netbooks or tablet PCs, and really consider and weight the options vs. cost. Because, again, I don't see why one would pay so much for something when for less money they can buy something that can do more.

Seems like a lot to pay just to shed a couple pounds of weight.

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I don't need all the features of a laptop or netbook on my travels, quite simply, the iPad fits my needs. I guess it really can't be explained any more than that, it is a device that fits my needs, I don't need the extra stuff the laptop or netbook offers. The only thing that doesn't make sense I'll grant you is the price, paying more for less. But, well, this isn't the only example of such a thing in life. I guess I'm paying more for the format. To me, the format is very important, and IMO, it will be easier and quicker than owning a netbook. I don't want a device with a lid, I want a flat thing with a big screen, until there is other competition out there, the iPad is it. I hear HP is working on something though that will compete quite well with the iPad, and have more features since it will be Win7 based. I'll look at it. But yeah, I want an iPad, and I understand it is overpriced.

BTW, I've never owned any apple product before. I've been a PC user since I was single digits. I own a Blackberry as my phone, never had an iPhone, barely have even played with one. I do not own an iPod either. I do not have an iTunes account.