teacake does Farscape: Spoiler Free first time viewing

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by teacake, Mar 23, 2013.

1. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see Farscape as what Voyager should have been - a group of people who do not necessarily care for each other, stuck on a ship together, in the middle of nowhere, trying to get home. I think what teacake indicated there is something I see too - Farscape will venture where Star Trek always feared to go.

...Different Destinations
    as one example.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:confused:

I am enjoying it on it's own terms, often I enjoy it more because it isn't Star Trek. Such as in my above example. I can't help Star Trek episodes coming to mind when watching Farscape or Stargate or any other episodic science fiction that co-existed in the same era as Trek because I've been marinating my brain in Trek for decades now.

Also I would never say Star Trek is the best thing that ever happened to science fiction as far as it's qualities go. I would much rather have had 5 series of Babylon 5. But I suppose it is the best thing in that its popularity allowed other science fiction shows to be possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I didn't read into anything besides "Star Trek is awesome, but I love Farscape because it's not Star Trek". There is room for for all love. :)

4. teacake

I never even said Star Trek was awesome!

"A ramped up blend of Miri and Terra Nova. But with no rescue of the people at the end because this isn't Star Trek :lol:"

That was a backhanded smack in Star Trek's face. For being too goody goody at the expense of realism, something I've made digs about for years.

5. teacake

Crackers Don't Matter: Wow. That was real. Whacky and hilarious and revealing and awful. Browder is fantastic, he must have been bored to death on Stargate after this role.

[​IMG]

The way they ramped it up and up and up.. everything going a step further than I would have expected it to.

[​IMG]

And so many clever lines and moments but no descent into dumb zaniness.. you know how sometimes a story is weak and they just fill it up with zaniness when Our Heroes are under the effect of something. In this episode it was filled up with content that exposed the characters in ways we may not have wanted to see.

[​IMG]

And then there was..

"I hate it.. when villains quote Shakespeare."

BEST. LINE. EVER.

:lol:

[​IMG]

So. Very impressed.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely one of the best episodes.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Crackers don't matter is one hell of an episode.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

One of my favorite things about Farscape is that some of the most batshit insane episodes also tend to be some of the most poignant.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh. It just seemed that way to me because I keep reading "because this isn't Star Trek" in your comments.

Comments that I'm enjoying by the way.

And I agree with your comment on Babylon 5, there SHOULD be five series of that (it is, after all, the second best universe after Star Trek). The only problem there is that after the initial five year run, with the exception of "In the Beginning", all the B5 follow-ups just weren't as good as the series itself.

10. teacake

Thing is though many people like to single out individual Trek series as having departed from Trek standards and sunk the ship they are all pretty equal as far as production and stories go. None of them take as huge a departure from previous series as Crusade did, or The Legend of the Rangers. I think SG:U and Caprica riled people up because they were such a departure in pace but not because it was some bargain basement shittiness compared to what came before it in any way like what we got with Bab 5.

That said I still liked everything in the Bab 5 universe and would watch it if it was filmed in JMS's living room with puppets.

11. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both Crichton and Aeryn are lucky they are terrible shots.

12. teacake

HAHAHA I was thinking they must be so brain addled that they couldn't shoot straight.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you are over thinking why Caprica and SG: Universe failed. It wasn't because they were different, it's because they were boring! :lol:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've still only seen 3 episodes of Caprica because I fall asleep whenever I attempt to watch it.

15. teacake

That's what I meant by "departure in pace".

Still I'm doing an SG;U rewatch after Farscape.

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

SG:U and Caprica are both decent shows which improved over time, better seen in quick bursts rather than slow weekly episode by episode format that TV has.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed, at least in regards to SGU. I tried to watch it when it first aired and could only make it through the fifth episode or so. Gave the show another chance a couple months ago and blew right through the whole run in like three weeks. :lol:

18. teacake

The Way We Weren't: That was absolutely brutal. Aeryn must be completely screwed up, how could you ever get over doing such a thing.

Zhaan after all her pious commentary turns into a total bitch.

Rygel needs to be airlocked. And Pilot, how wonderful to give Pilot his own personal story.

Beautifully shot scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so it seems they are increasingly bonded together by their own failings.

[​IMG]

19. teacake

Picture If You Will: Maldis comes back and there's a magic portrait that captures everyone and shatters and there are carnival mirrors going woowoowoo and optical trickeries and then everybody escapes and Maldis disintegrates into shards.

Still. Some pretty moments.

[​IMG]

And has there been a wardrobe malfunction or will we be bearing midriffs from now on?

[​IMG]

As I said, pretty moments :)

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You will see Chiana's midriff a lot. Aeryn's midriff comes and goes. :lol: