ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, that was really frustrating. Why do we still have networks delaying regular programming for sports? They all have digital sub-channels and cable-network partners now. Save the sports for the dedicated sports channels.

Months ago, I set my DVR to keep recording Elementary for another 30 minutes beyond the scheduled time, but once or twice, it didn't start until 40 or 45 minutes late, and I had to watch it via On Demand. There was one week where it was delayed a whole hour and they just postponed it a week. That's just unacceptable.

Relayer1 and Allyn Gibson like this.
  2. TalonCard

TalonCard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You may have missed this, but sporting events are actually valued highly by human society, going back millennia. Cave paintings in France dating back 15,300 years show wrestling matches taking place. Sporting events can build a sense of community, and discussing the different players and actions in, say, football matches, can lead to lasting friendships.

But to your point about why networks delay programming when there are already dedicated sports channels, you have to understand how advertising works. Networks sell advertising to outside companies--these are known as "commercials". One time sporting events can lead to more viewers (because society values sports, as discussed above), and therefore, more valuable commercial time than regular programming. Thus, networks are highly motivated to shift regular programming in order to air sporting events.

It's true that there are many cable networks and other outlets for sports these days, but you have to understand that not everyone has access to these, and so traditional networks will still have more viewers than, say, ESPN for certain events.

So now that I've explained it all to you, I trust that you'll find this practice, which has a long history and has every reason to continue, quite acceptable. Perhaps your original purpose was to "vent", but a proper understanding of human motivation and behavior should be a sufficient response to your post. You're welcome.

TC

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Another way of saying it...

Sports or in this case, Football :ouch: = High Ratings

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorry wanted to get to the end of s5 before I looked here. Have to repeat what I said on Twitter a few weeks ago, Kitty was way more engaging than Shinwell, but Shinwell hasn't overshadowed the Holmes/Watson dynamic the way Kitty did at least.

To be honest I still really enjoy the show so it's a shame we're only getting 13 episodes next season. Do people think that'll be it or is s7 still possible?

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The marketing folks are claiming it's just the new normal for some shows to be 13 episodes (to fill in gaps in the schedule as repeats aren't drawing enough viewers), so I think season seven is still possible.

Side note: CBS seemed to cut off the season finale a few seconds early (based upon the music). That was weird.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When May first appeared in the penultimate episode, it took me a while to get used to her because it felt like I must've missed an episode.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nope. I think we all understood the rationale, and it's still a crappy thing to do.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

TalonCard got banned last week. He won't be replying anymore.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

:lol:

What (else) did he do ?

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

More of the same. He basically stalked Christopher in every thread Christopher was in.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

He also happened to be a 5-star shit-stick, in general.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh well, good riddance...

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny because I was just thinking while watching the last episode how unusual (but nice) it was that Elementary still had the full 20+ episode seasons. Just when I think about how great something is, it changes, sounds about right.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nelsan Ellis passed away from complications after heart failure at the age of 39. :(

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

RIP

16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just reading about that earlier. :(

RIP.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh crap I saw something in the news but didn't immediately recognise Shinwell as I think they'd used a pic from True Blood and I hadn't recognised the name.

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS has ordered eight more episodes of Season 6, bringing the planned 13-episode season up to a nearly full season order of 21. It's been filming since summer, as if they were on the standard production schedule, and there have been various set photos over the last few months that have revealed a few guest stars. Still no debut date set, but I'd expect mid- to late-January.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing John Noble again.

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This felt like a longer-than-usual hiatus. Was the show on the bubble until recently?