ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

I watched E² yesterday. This episode doesn't make any sense at all. Or is it just me? As soon as the Enterprise from the present does anything different the future Enterprise (from over 100 years in the past) would not exist anymore, right? So it's not possible to steal any parts from the younger ship. And as T'Pol pointed out: They shouldn't remember the other Enterprise at all.

I also think it would have been a good idea to search for the ship they stole the warp coil from in the beginning of season 4. They say they would need 3 years to get home. The Enterprise could have found them 2 months later and give them a new warp coil. They could have at least mention something like this in S4. As it is now this is a very bad move.

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^ I always was fine with the assumption that Archer or T'Pol had told the Xindi-Primates or Xindi-Arborreals about that ship and a Xindi ship went out to lend them a hand.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Just watched "Exile" on Blu - I'd forgotten what a highly enjoyable episode it is. Extremely well directed by Roxann Dawson, it features some excellent set design, and was nice to see Hoshi take the spotlight for a change. I was quite surprised to hear Branon Braga dismiss it as a weak episode in the included extra features.

He lumped it in with "Extinction" - which he described as one of the worst Trek's he'd been involved with. I'd agree "Extinction" isn't great - but there's undoubtedly been far worse!

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I didn't dig Exile much either. It didn't help that it was one of several episodes that were the same old stuff they were already doing in the first two seasons, but with a few Xindi references sprinkled on top.

5. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

I liked Exile, too and I think Extinction is the worst episode of the season. 2nd worst is Doctor's Orders because a very similar story was already shown on Voyager.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Extinction is ENT's answer to VOY's Threshold

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Threshold can be enjoyed ironically.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

9. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

10. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

Guess I'll have to stretch my season three viewing out to time up with the new date. Xindi o how I love thou arc.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Quoting myself here, but pre-orders are now live at Amazon UK. In a reversal of the S3 staggered schedules, the release date remains set at the 14th of April - so it looks like British patrons are getting their discs a couple of weeks ahead of fans in the US on this occasion.

My order's placed. Here's hoping there's a significant improvement in PQ this time.

12. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I received my set today and though I'd chime in with some early thoughs. I watched Stormfront and Home. The picture quality is QUITE an improvement on the first three seasons. Crystal clear and very sharp. At this point in the series the majority of visual effects seemed to be rendered in HD.

I did notice that I have to get used to the digital look of the show in season 4. It was far less noticeable on dvd. The added clarity and sharpness brings out both the good and the bad. The good being the great detail in the sets, garments etc. The bad being that occassionally I became very much aware of watching actors on a set, something the flawed analogue quality of film seemed to hide more for me.

Still, the show looks very vibrant and I can't wait to watch the slave market scenes from the Augments trilogy tomorrow.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, I got my set today too! I'm currently ripping the entire season for playback on my media player. In fact, I'm just finishing up with "These Are The Voyages" as I type.

Great news reference the increase in PQ - I was really hoping for that. Can't wait to get stuck in tomorrow.

14. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having seen a few more episodes, I can reiterate, season 4 looks great on blu-ray. :techman:

15. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I just received seasons 1&2 BDs. I mainly buy them for additional language options (I already had season 1 on dvd but only with eng/spa/ita audio). Anyhow, apparently they have left out spa&ita audio on the season 3&4 BDs, so I won't be buying them (any time soon).

16. LOKAI of CHERON

Well, I've now completed my review of Enterprise Season Four on Blu-ray - and I can at last give a hearty recommendation for a genuinely worthy upgrade from the previous DVD release.

Sharpness and clarity are significantly increased, with vibrant colours and pleasing black levels. It's certainly not perfect - patches of softness sporadically appear throughout - but that may have more to do with filming techniques.

The DTS Master Audio is solid, with some excellent separation and clear, easily discernable dialogue from the centre channel. Not spectacular sound, but this is an early 2000's TV show and is pretty good for what it is.

I've read a lot about the switch to digital giving a more "studio like" appearance to the show - but I'm not really seeing it. It's all graded quite nicely, and the dreaded "soap opera effect" is minimal to non-existent IMHO.

17. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Next week's US Best Buy ad insert shows the season four set at $59.99 on release day.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have a nice comparison showing the difference between DVD and Blu-ray quality for "In a Mirror, Darkly" up on Youtube. Watch it at 1080p resolution full screen to get a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspL9_6liA

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You wouldn't think the difference would be so amazing...but it IS!

20. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I have only watched it on my laptop 17'' display in fullhd and the difference seems minor. :confused: