#FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Quite a few people on various sites have asked for more t-shirts. This new design will be available only through November and are being sold at no mark-up through CafePress (which has excellent international shipping rates).

http://www.cafepress.com/freebabylon5

I like them a lot!

Jan

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The trailer certainly does use the campaign hashtag- I've seen it myself.

Not that I'll be watching, since I have the whole thing on DVD, so why would I watch it on a channel with ad breaks...?

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Just because? ;)

I very often catch myself watching stuff on telly that I have on DVD. I think it's laziness. I watch stuff on Netflix too that I already own. :D

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Pretty much this. When I'm surfing through and there's nothing good on, I usually settle on something familiar, even if I own it on DVD. Same for films too. I have such a large library that I'm spoilt for choice and often have trouble deciding what I want to watch. There's still something to be said for programmed entertainment as opposed to on-demand.

Anyway, the point of all this isn't to get old fans to watch the show again, it's to give people who've never seen it to check it out and the best way to do that is for it to be on the telly. Getting it on Watch is just the start, now that it's been proven it can be done I anticipate even more assistance and support for the campaign than before. It's easier to get people to jump on a bandwagon after you get the thing rolling. ;)

5. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Accessibility is good, with more and more people watching streaming services, it's exactly where a series that should get more eyeballs on it should be.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Maybe, maybe not. Not everyone has decent broadband, nor do they have a subscription to Netflix, LoveFilm and the like. Even in this day and age you'll get a lot more NEW viewers on television than you will with an on-demand service. Generally, if it's on-demand it's only going to be watched by and large by people who are already fans or have had it recommended to them by a friend.

Having it on TV in a daily timeslot means that a *lot* more people are just going to happen across it.

7. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

True, but streaming and other internet related services are growing. Classic TV isn't.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

We're still a number of years away from the tipping point and this isn't about getting B5 back in 5-10 years when even more people have forgotten it. It's about getting it back on the air asap so that in 5-10 years there will still be an audience and a demand to see it on those future streaming services as something other than an obscure old show that only a relative few dedicated fans even know to look for it.

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I suppose that technically it is available on streaming sites. You can buy episodes for 1.99 each via Amazon, YouTube or iTunes. That's no way to grow the viewership, though. Does anybody have any thoughts as to how we fans can persuade WB away from that model?

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

To WB execs, I suspect B5 is an irrelevant, near-death cash cow.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That does actually happen, but if I happen to just catch it, rather than by specifically tuning in for it.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure we'd want to actively discourage any venue, but rather encourage a much more diverse range of them. To do otherwise would I think give off some very mixed signals.

Besides I think it's clear a direct appeal to WB would be fruitless. JMS certainly seems to think that the best way to get WB's attention is to convince enough stations to approach them for the broadcast rights.

Unless of course anyone can think of a brilliant way to make WB's bonkers internal competitiveness work in our favour for a change?

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Cafepress does quality stuff. That's where my store is hosted.

14. david3uk

david3uk Cadet Newbie

hello from the UK:p:p:p....... B5 has been repeat at bout 3 time in the past 10 years hear........they just started last nite(04/11/13).. oh what a joy to see again:lol:

15. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Two quick news items. Sadly, despite many of you voting your fingers to the bone, Babylon 5 didn't make it onto the ballot for the People's Choice awards. Thanks to everybody who helped. Let's keep trying to find inventive ways to increase awareness of Babylon 5!

Also, those who get the B5 Books newsletter may already know this but B5 Books announced last night that for the month of November they're extending the debut discount period on the gorgeous B5-20 book AND for each B5-20 sold this month, they're donating $10 to #FreeBabylon5. Woo-Hoo!!
    Jan

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Any idea what the international shipping is on that thing? Even discounted it's still bloody expensive, but I may finally cave.

Also, random thought: I just watched Watch's #freebabylon5 trailer again and I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure they're characterizing WB as N'Grath. Ouch. ;)

17. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not sure what the postage is but if you click on the International button you'll see it. It's way lower than regular shipping via USPS. You can also email help@b5books.com.

Jan

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well that's odd. When I go to the checkout it lists the price as £66.50 ($106.96). I thought it might be adding VAT onto the base price, but it says "Does not include tax (if applicable)". Oh well. :shrug:

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

It should be $88.00 plus shipping. If you think it's an exchange rate issue, write to Captain Jaclyn and see if she can send you a PayPal invoice perhaps. She or one of her lieutenants answers mail really quickly.

Jan

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore