Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dale Sams, May 1, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Generations is one, for me. I saw it when I was 13, so I love that movie. It has a special place for me. Now that I'm older, I can see that it has its flaws, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Much of Voyager. I know it was not as well executed as it could have been, but for the most part, I enjoyed the series.

Search For Spock. Am I the only person who thinks this movie is pretty good, and a worthy follow up to TWOK?

2. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Generations. It was the first Star Trek movie I went to see in the theater on my own (and one of the only movies that I had to stand in line to get tickets for...I mean the line was around the building!)

So I've always enjoyed it as I felt it was kind of when I really started liking Trek on my own and not because I grew up watching TOS reruns and then TNG when it first aired with my parents.

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Search for Spock is great!

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoy Voyager. It was important to both my daughters too.

I like Way to Eden, but I understand the hate.

I love Spectre of the Gun for its stylistic cool, and I do not understand the hate it gets from some people.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I thought the space hippies element was pretty lame (though that's a modern term) when I saw it in 1969. But Sevrin's anger and frustration for being treated as a criminal because he was the carrier of a dangerous disease he wasn't responsible for, and that his freedom was limited by law, was understandable.
    Same here. The partial sets, the music, the direction/cinematography all add to the surrealism. The script had some rough spots, but it's a visually interesting show to watch.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Omega Glory.

I find it a great episode and think the Bible/Flag/U.S. Constitution ending ruining it is bullshit. It's easy to imagine an Earth vessel crashing on Omega IV and finding a war battered culture that shared similar values and adopted the Earth relics as their own. Plus, Morgan Woodward owns the screen as Captain Ron Tracy.

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

The Omega Glory is mine as well. I love the "starship captain gone rogue" story. As for the ending.... aside from the wanky sounding "Star Spangled Banner", I don't have a big problem with it.

I generally take "Star Trek" on it's own terms. I don't have a problem with Hodgkins Law because in this fictional universe it exists and there's planets with alternate earths or societies and I don't get worked up about it.

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Insurrection. WHile I admit it isn't the strongest movie of the bunch, I found much to appreciate about it.

9. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    SFS has always been one of my favorite TOS Films. I was shocked when I first heard people saying that it was one of the "bad Trek films" I'm also surprised when people complain about them undoing Spock's death, because when I saw TWOK when I was 9 I came out of the theater with several theories on how he would return in ST III. I never had a doubt that he would be back.

SFS seems to me to be the flip side of the Menagerie, with Kirk and Crew doing whatever they can and possibly sacrificing everything for Spock, just as he was willing to risk everything to help Captain Pike.

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was very Star Trek. The most TNG of all their movies. "It's just a big TV episode," say the naysayers.

Exactly -- you liked the show, so . . . wouldn't you like a movie that is like the show you like??

It's got a good moral dilemma people are still probably arguing about on this BBS. And a sense of wonder and fun.

Not sayin it's great. But, I liked it new and like it now. Probably my fave TNG.

11. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like Enterprise...

12. BillJ

Count me being in the pro-The Search for Spock camp as well. :techman:

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer Search For Spock to Wrath of Khan. It's more adventurous and fun.

14. BillJ

I rank it fourth out of the movies. Behind The Wrath of Khan and just ahead of Star Trek 2009.

15. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Nah, it's no big deal. I know everyone has different opinions, and I tend to have weirdly unique ones anyway.

16. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I adore The Motion Picture. The sense of mystery and wonder is so fantastic in that film, I have yet to tire of watching it.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I rewatch TMP relatively frequently. I love it.

I didn't realize it was in the same doghouse as NEM and STV, though. I always saw it as more in the mixed-review category.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are people who hate Darmok? Seriously?!

Anyhoo, if we're speaking in terms of vitriolic, unreasoning hatred:

Movie: Star Trek V: TFF
    Episode: The Royale (TNG)
    Series: Enterprise
    Character(s): Dr. Pulaski, Wesley Crusher

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think Wesley would have been a better character if they had let Wil rework his dialogue to sound like a real teenager. His performances were always good, they just gave him some awful $h!t to say.

20. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When you think about it, it seems that even the worst of Star Trek always has something about it to endear it people.