3D Printing

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 3danim8d

3danim8d Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

MadMan,,

The phaser is looking great, I have the Playmates toy from years ago, and it is about 8 inches long. If you want and photos or scans of it, let me know.

Jeff

2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Thanks guys. :)

It's OK. :) I've found that when I build a model to print, the polycount can't be too high, or Makerware has a hard time slicing the file up. it'll also smooth out the model some, too.

A couple of photos would be great, if you have time. I've seen various paint jobs on the internet, but I don't think I've seen any photos of the Playmates one.

Next up, I'm going to try do do the USS Kelvin version phaser and communicator.

-Ricky

fireproof78 likes this.
  3. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome Work here Ricky :techman::techman::techman:
    as always my friend ... : )

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Can't wait to see that phaser printed out.

5. 3danim8d

MadMan,

Ok, I have 4 pretty good shots for you, I freehanded them so they aren't true orthos, but if need be you could skew/warp them in Photoshop to straighten anything out. The shots are currently 16 megapixel ( and 5mb each ) How big do you want them?

The Playmates phaser is pretty much one color black plastic on the body, and it may be a bit small (as it is a toy).

I thought I heard that who ever has the current license might be making a STVI phaser after the STIII one.

Jeff

6. MadMan1701A

Cool, thanks. Email would be good... rickywallace.1701 at gmail.com

I got about halfway done printing this today, and should have the rest done tomorrow night. Hopefully, I have some pics. :)

-Ricky

7. 3danim8d

Sent!

I hope they help!

One day (since the bulb burned out in mine) I plan to have a nozzle turned from aluminum with enough room to put a blue laser in it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  8. MadMan1701A

Well, I got all 4 parts finished yesterday, and did a quick test-fit. Everything seems to line up well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I hope to do some sanding, and assembly. I think it turned out pretty well. :)

-Ricky

9. MadMan1701A

Got the phaser done. :) I think it turned out well.

I went with more of a TOS color scheme on it, and I think it looks sharp. I felt like the real one was a little too dark.

[​IMG]

And here it is compared to the Art Asylum TOS Phaser...

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

-Ricky

10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Set Phasers to Awesome! =D

12. Burke

Burke Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Awesome prints! How did the Valiant make out?

13. LordMudd

LordMudd Captain Captain

I really want one of those for making custom action figures. Can you change the size of something? Example: I still have my Major Matt Mason space station, which is scale to 8" figures, and I would like to reduce it for 4" figures. Also, reducing some Playmates heads to fit Mego/ERTL bodies.

CCC.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

That's amazing, it would be brilliant to see with Cjohnson1701's permission of course to do a 3D model of his USS Pike

15. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I personally, wouldn't mind at all. You have my permission. The only problem is logistics, the ship wasn't modeled for 3D-printing and it's built at a 1:1 scale when I started ( so digitally it is 700+ meters long, good luck fitting that on your garage! :p). So I would have to co-ordinate with Madman-1701 here. Not to mention, if there is any costs ( eg: materials, electronics, shipping, etc.)

TL: DR, if Madman is okay with it, and the logistics work out, I'd be down.

16. MadMan1701A

Sure, I can add it to my list. :)

It shouldn't be too hard to convert it for printing... mine don't need much cleanup to come out right. All I need is a .obj file. :)

-Ricky

17. MadMan1701A

Hey guys, more stuff tonight. :)

I got most of the parts built for Valiant, and assembled. I think it turned out pretty well. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I was playing around the other day, and made some comm badges. I was watching TNG on Bluray, and never noticed that the TNG comm badges delta shape wasn't the same shape as the TOS delta. I thought it was weird that I had never noticed, so I had to make some. :)

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

-Ricky

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

That's really neat! I have a question: once you have the printer and the file, what is the material cost of printing a single copy of that ship? Also, how long does it take to print?

19. MadMan1701A

Thanks. :)

Material wise, there is probably $2 of plastic going on in this particular one. Time is the big thing with these.. combined, there is about 8 hours of print time for the parts, and another 3 hours of me cleaning up the parts and assembling it. Then, more time to sand and paint it.

-Ricky

20. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

The valiant is a masterpiece, the badges I like, I look forward to seeing your future badge if you do one, I'd be interested in seeing a nx-01 refit model