DS9, Worf and Continuity.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by CmndrSela318, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And even more than that, he was getting old enough that he could actually be a help to the aging couple rather than a burden.

2. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think your rationales work in hindsight, but in reality I think TPTB just didn't want/need two single dads on DS9, so Alexander had to go even if t went against some plot points established on TNG.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Never mind the fact that DS9's Alexander should be the age of, what, like 8? Instead we see someone who looks at the least like a teenager.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^8 in human years.

5. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

So characters are not allowed to change their attitudes? Maybe Worf thought it was the honourable thing to do and raise his son on the ship?

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Does the distinction really make a difference though?

Personally, I found Alexander's two DS9 appearances to be way more than enough, so I'm glad they gave him the boot. :)

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingons age at a different rate than humans. Hell, even when he was first introduced in TNG he was only a year old and already a bit big for his age. Then when they made hima recurring character in season 5 he would only have been two, yet he looked like he was six or so. Being a teenager on DS9 is consistent with what was established.

8. Worf'sParmach

I don't think I understand your question. The last we heard from Worf before he went to DS9 was that he did not want to be seperated from his son, that he wanted to raise him on the Enterprise ("Firstborn"). Then he makes an about face and decides to send him back to Earth with his parents, who'd already said they were too old to handle a Klingon child again. That obviously didn't work out because Alexander later runs away from his grandparents and joins the military ("Sons and Daughters")

On TNG, Worf's parenting was improving, culminating in his decisions about Alexander in Firstborn. DS9 pressed the reset button on all that and put him right back to being a crappy father. I get why they did it, one single father on DS9 was enough. It just added to the jack-assiness that I think characterised Worf on DS9 vs. Worf on TNG.

I have always felt that in terms of moving the Worf character from TNG to DS9, they really dropped the ball on Alexander. I agree with Tosk that he wasn't exactly missed, but giving him the boot in the manner that they did reflected badly on Worf's character. And then having Alexander come back and be a moron just made it worse.

The idea that Klingons age at a different rate than humans was never established officially, just assumed by fans based on how Alexander was presented and the fact that it would make sense for children to mature faster in a warrior culture. It's much easier for the actors to interact with an older child than an infant or toddler (which is what Alexander should have been when he was first introduced).

That said, I do agree that him being a teeanger on DS9 was definitely consistent with his severe case of TV Rapid Aging Syndrome :lol:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

As far as Alexander's first appearance goes, when K'Ehleyr first appeared, it seemed Worf had already had a previous relationship with her, so, I assumed she already had Alexander from that previous relationship, and just didn't bother telling Worf about him? So, I never questioned him being about6 on his first appearance.

But, yea, Teenager Alexander was definitely a case of Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome (SORAS)

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Watch "The Emissary." :)

11. Sindatur

Yea, when she came onboard it seemed like he was already bitter with her, because of a previous relationship, and the Holoprogram and then the bonding rejection was just more of the same as their previous encounter. I mean, yea, obviously Alexander could be the result of that encounter, but, it didn't seem conclusive at all to me he definitely was.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Ah, I gotcha now.

13. Worf'sParmach

It was strongly implied by the two of them that their encounter during that episode was the first time they'd had sex. After it's over K'Ehleyr asks why didn't they do this a long time ago and Worf spouts off about honor and being too young. But that is definitely one explanation of his age, that he was already around, I just don't think the "evidence" backs it up.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I miss K'Ehleyr. :( She is one of my all time favorite Trek characters. Plakson was just so boss.

And really, there was no reason to kill her. The actual impact on Worf was pretty insignificant--in that it was pretty much forgotten about two episodes later. And as this thread shows, the whole Alexander thing never worked out anyway.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. They do acknowledge (often by Worf saying so) that he was never a very good father, though he did give it a try at least a couple times. Also, when Alexander went back to Earth (presumably following "Generations" and the loss of his home, but really at any point from "Birthright" onwards), it was arguably so that Worf can so his post-Troi solo soul searching or whatever (no families on Boreth?) and there's no reason to believe that the two would not be reunited at some point following that.

Then Worf got called to DS9 and the Klingon tensions got bad, Worf got offered a promotion, and it wouldn't be a very safe place for Alexander and his heritage to be caught in the middle. Then Klingon stuff got better but the Dominion War started almost immediately after. Was Worf in the wrong place in the wrong time? Was he really running away or was it equally the circumstances that kept him from bringing Alexander to DS9?

Mark

16. Sindatur

Ah, OK, I didn't catch onto that clue. Still strange, the bitterness he greeted her with, seemed like sex must've been previously involved, but, maybe that was just because they didn't previously have sex because of his "No sex before marriage" stance :shrug:

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In New Ground Alexander tells his teacher the stardate he was born on (43205) which places his birth in TNG's third season. Therefore he was conceived during The Emissary.

18. Worf'sParmach

I think I can agree with most of your points. It would make sense that Alexander go to Earth after the Enterprise was destroyed in Generations and while Worf was being all emo on Boreth he would have stayed with his grandparents. BUT Worf still gets the worst father ever award for not even knowing his kid had run away from home. I guess he was too busy getting it on with Dax to call home periodically :lol: