My Name Is Bruce

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FalTorPan, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Well, I can't hate it. It has Bruce. Surely you understand.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that too until I saw The Man with the Screaming Brain.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Well, there's that. But the upside is all of the jokes he makes about it now.

I don't even hate that one, really. I just don't feel the need to ever see it again.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't witnessed this, but considering he only directed it 3 years ago I'd say he is on thin ice trying to pass it off as a youthful mistake or anything like that :lol:

I suppose given it was the first proper feature he directed we can cut him some slack, and My Name is Bruce demonstrates a pretty steep learning curve.

5. Spaceman Spiff

I've seen him do things like mentioning it as being among his better films and pausing for laughter.

During an interview on the special features for Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, he mentions that around the time of the filming, he'd been making plans for Screaming Brain. He says something to the effect of "So that tells you how many years of my life I put into that damned thing."

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to watch it tonight, but maybe tomorrow.

6. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My Name is Bruce was a HUGE disappointment, and I'm a Bruce Campbell enthusiast. I mean, it's okay that it was lowbudget and looked that way. But the villain was stupid (they should have done zombies or better, deadites), Ted Raimi was irritating and overused, the emo/punk kids were stupid, and most of the jokes were really lame. Even Campbell's dry delivery couldn't save those. And worst of all, they introduce a love interest with a huge pair of hooters and we don't even get to see them.

Bruce Campbell deserves better than this. Bruce Campbell deserves better than himself. Someone should write a good screenplay for him and hire a director with the same energy Sam Raimi had when he made Evil Dead.

My advice to Bruce Campbell fans is, skip this turd and watch Army of Darkness for the 666th time.

7. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a whim, I decided to rent this. I watched it earlier tonight. Very cheesy, very low-budget, very overacted... in short, everything you'd expect from a Bruce Campbell film about Bruce Campbell.

For a rental, it was decent. It actually did have some genuinely funny moments, and a few lines even made me laugh out loud -- which isn't always an easy feat. However, as others have said, I wouldn't recommend it to non-Bruce fans. Even for moderate Bruce fans like myself, it can get tiresome -- the shoestring budget was painfully obvious (even though the filmmakers probably made no effort to hide this fact), and many of the actors are of limited skills (you definitely won't find them in any A-list productions any time soon). It was a pleasant enough diversion for the evening, but I doubt I'll feel compelled to rewatch it any time in the future.

Some of the extras were amusing (although the main "making-of" featurette went on a bit too long). And man, does Bruce ever enjoy flipping people off! :lol:

8. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I just watched it... And I liked it a lot! :D Excellent would be my grade. Very much in the "Army of Darkness" style at points, with some "Ash"-isms.

But you may have to be in the right mood to enjoy it - It certainly is not for everyone.

9. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll tell you this: I enjoyed the making-of featurette better than the film itself!

10. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I figure I might as well dump this here. From the Q&A in after one of the screenings in Baltimore:

[​IMG]

11. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved My Name Is Bruce. I thought the DVD/Blu-ray extras were tiring, except for the segment(s) about Cavealiens 2.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Can a movie be simultaneously the best and worst movies of all time? Before now, I wouldn't have thought that possible. Now, I'm not so sure.

OK, no, it's not the best movie of all time, but it definitely was fun. Spiff, I want to thank you for telling me about it back around Halloween. Considering I've only seen the Evil Dead trilogy, I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but seeing that, it was definitely easy to appreciate this movie. Give it a watch, you'll enjoy it (and if you don't, drink excessively and then it'll become a great movie).