episodes that are part of two different TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Star Trek TAS episode 'More Tribbles More Troubles' was released on TAS Complete Series Disc 1 and on TOS-R Season 2 Disc 5.

The Star Trek DS9 episode 'Trials and Tribble-ations' was released on DS9 Season 5 Disc 2 and on TOS-R Season 2 Disc 5.

The X-Files episode 'Millennium' was released on X-Files Season 7 Disc 1 and on Millennium Season 3 Disc 6.

The CSI episode 'Cross-Jurisdictions' was released on CSI Season 2 Disc 6 and on CSI Miami Season 1 Disc 1.

The CSI episode 'MIA/NYC Non-Stop' was released on CSI Miami Season 2 Disc 6 and on CSI NY Season 1 Disc 1.

Can anyone think of any more examples?

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

"More Tribbles More Troubles" isn't part of two shows. Just one, the animated Star Trek series. It's no more part of TOS than any of the other TAS episodes.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd name the Homicide: Life on the Street / Law & Order crossovers if I was more literate in both shows. There's a few. I think they made it onto the complete series box for Homicide, but aren't on the regular season releases.

4. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice had a series of episodes a few weeks back where for, like 3 weeks running, both shows (which air back to back) were part of each other - mixed casts on both shows in a continuing story. I would imagine when the DVD sets come out, they will have to include all of the episodes in both sets or the story won't really made sense.

There are other CSI crossovers that I know of too - a while back CSI (Vegas) did a crossover with Without a Trace. Characters from both shows were on the other for 2 episodes. There was also a crossover with Cold Case and CSI: NY.

5. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spend much time here ?

6. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

There were a couple of instances where the Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman crossed over, so a two part story would start in that week's SMDM episode, with SMDM titles etc, and conclude later as that week's Bionic Woman epsiode, with Bionic Woman titles. There was even a three parter, "Kill Oscar!" where part one was a Bionic Woman episode, part two was a SMDM episode, and part three was Bionic Woman again. I don't think the DVD releases ever got that far, sadly - although I think in syndication, the episodes are usually all rebranded as Bionic Woman episodes and bundled together into that show's package.

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

While it's cute that "Trials and Tribble-ations" got a release on the TOS-R DVD set, it's really not a TOS episode in any sense of the term. It's a DS9 episode that happens to feature TOS characters and a TOS setting.

8. Extrocomp

I just want to clear something up. I'm asking for examples of episodes that were released in two different Complete Season DVD collections. I know it's not really the same thing as being part of two different series, so perhaps I should've given this thread a better title.

By the way, I really hate the website poobala.com/crossoverlist.html. The guy considers the slightest cameo or name-drop to be a crossover and makes the ridiculous assertion that if two shows have one crossover they must exist in the same universe. IMO, there should be at least two crossovers.

9. Andrew_Kearley

Right, in that case, you mean something like the X Files episode "Jump the Shark", which wrapped up the storyline for the Lone Gunmen characters. As a result, it's on the X Files season 9 set, and on The Lone Gunmen set.

10. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought for sure that the JAG NCIS episodes would also appear on the NCIS DVDs but apparently they don't, which I think is a bit odd.

11. Extrocomp

Interestingly, 'Jump the Shark' has a deleted scene on The X-Files Season 9 disc but doesn't have any deleted scenes on the Lone Gunmen. I wonder why that is.
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/product-description/B0001NBMFI/
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/product-description/B0006UEVUE/

12. Andrew_Kearley

One presumes that's because it's only included as an extra on the Lone Gunmen set - whereas on the X Files set, it's a main feature, and therefore has its own extras.

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, of course, it all makes sense. TWO crossovers, that's the ticket.

Catholics and Protestants kill each other over less.... :rolleyes:

14. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

The Bold and the Beautiful crossed over with The Young and the Restless. Brooke went to have meetings with Victor.

As The World Turns crossed with The Young and the Restless too.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The James Bond series was rumored to cross over with General Hospital in the early 1970s. George Lazenby played an unnamed British Spy for a couple of episodes.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Such a theory makes little sense.

Back in the day almost all NBC sitcoms took place in the same universe, really the same New York City. Mad About You, Caroline in the City, Friends and The Single Guy and Seinfeld all took place in the same universe.

It was revealed in a MaY episode that Paul Buchman subleted his old apartment to Kramer (of Seinfeld), Jamie Buchman (of Mad About You) once appeared on Friends -showing up in Central Perk, Caroline (of Caroline in the City) once showed up on Friends and Ross (from Friends) showed up on "The Single Guy." NBC once did a "Black Out Thursday" where 3 of the night's shows (Mad About You, Friends, and The Single Guy) all suffered from the same blackout caused in MaY. (Seinfeld declined to participate in the TV event.)

All shows too place "in the same universe" though there's contradictions, Seinfeld for example made reference to "Mad About You." Though it's possilbe "a Mad About You" exsisted in Seinfeld's universe just not necessairly the exact same one *we* saw in the real world. (I believe The Single Guy also made reference to the show "Friends" existing in their universe. Again, it's like a show called "Friends" exsists but not necessairly the same Friends we all saw in the real world.)

Man, TV and sitcoms were fun in the 90s. :)

But the OP's "intent" with this thread is thin. A TV series' episode appearing on another series' box set doesn't make that episode "part of that series."

Crossovers between series can only make each series "part of that series" in a abstract sense even if the two series don't share the same DVD set.

Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, Joni Love Cachi and Happy Days all took place in the same universe (the previous three all spining off from Happy Days, though Mork only appeared in Happy Days as a dream and obviously took place many years after Happy Days.)

All of the CSIs take place in the same universe as each new one was spun off the previous one through a cross-over episode.

Cheers, Frasier and the Tortellis all take place in the same universe (the last two spinning off Cheers.)

So this can really be a convoluted topic.

;)

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Add Wings to the Cheers, Frasier listing. Frasier had a layover at Sandpiper Air.

18. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yes...I found this site like four years ago..love it

Rob

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

And since Lisa Kudrow was on Mad About You before Friends, suddenly her Friends character had a twin sister!

20. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

Geez, why are people getting so hung up over the topic title? Just pretend the topic is "episodes that are part of two different TV series' box sets" and all will be right with the world.