Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind him at all in Tron (which I only watched last year), but still think he and many of his colleagues in B5 were rather less than stellar.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

True, most of the B5 cast wasn't on the same top-notch level we Trek viewers have been spoiled by, but most of them were at least adequate. And Walter Koenig has never been better than he was on B5.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I seem to be on my own here, but my fave actor in B5 was generally Bill Mumy. Uniquely in that show, he played everything with an under-stated elegance, which distinguished him from the hamminess that surrounded him.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The correctness of this post balances out the utter wrongness of preferring Michael O'Hare to anything.

We're square.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

:lol:

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I think we should have a new Trek series starring Micheal O'Hare and Bruce Willis. That would just be so...:devil:

7. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Heya guys -

Just jumping into this thread now, but it's a blast to read. I love seeing how different people see the same characters, it's a lot of fun.

Being a big TrekLit nerd myself (and a photoshop junkie), I've done a few shops just for fun. I know this isn't QUITE in the spirit of the thread - casting real actors - but I went the route of visualizing characters as I saw them while reading, so the faces were pieced together to not resemble any specific actor. But they were still fun to do! Here are Prynn, Vaughn, and Dr. Ree, as I saw them while reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    -Moe.

8. Christopher

^Very nice... except it looks like you've stuck Ree's head on a basically upright humanoid torso, judging from the shoulders, when he should actually be built more like a therapod dinosaur, horizontal-bodied with a cantilevering tail. Think a Jurassic Park velociraptor with a Komodo-dragon head.

9. Mojomoe

^ Good point, I suppose I'd pictured him as slightly more humanoid in form than intended. Interesting. Maybe my imagination couldn't handle him squeezing into a turbolift, and unintentionally straightened his spine :lol:.

Here's a thinker for you - anyone got any ideas for SecondGen White Blue? (and yes, haha, trash can, tricorder, refridgerator, etc.). I've been trying to do a shop of him, but I can't really form a picture of something that looks half technological, half art. That one's a tough nut.

And then there's the Tzenkethi... always interested to see what they'd look like.

10. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The way the Tzenkethi are described in the Typhon Pact books (beautiful, graceful, somehow sensual without seeming sexy), kinda reminds me of the Kaminoans from Star Wars, just with much shorter (i.e., humanoid) necks. Same kind of almost boneless gliding instead of walking, with those hypnotic whirlpool eyes.

11. Christopher

Well, going by my TNG Blueprints, a standard turbolift car is a bit over 2 meters in diameter, which should allow him to fit assuming he can bend his tail. But one thing that surprisingly many people overlook is that Titan isn't just a standard humanoid-centric design that had nonhumanoids stuck into its crew at the last second, but was designed from the start with more universal access in mind, and was customized for its specific crewmembers' needs before launch. So it probably has wider turbolifts than standard.

(Also, Ree has yellowish skin with black and red stripes, according to his debut scene in Taking Wing.)

Rough Beasts of Empire describes them as aesthetically pleasing humanoids with flexible, boneless limbs and bodies (possessing vertebrae but otherwise supported by fluid-filled sacs like Kif from Futurama), brightly colored eyes, and softly luminescent skin.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Large amounts of awesomeness right there. :bolian:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are great. I tried my hand at using photoshop to make pictures of Trek Lit characters a while back, but they were nowhere near that good.
    Who did you use as the basis for Prynn and Vaughn?

14. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

:eek:

Would you mind if I used this as an avatar?

15. Mojomoe

^ Not at all! I'd be honoueuerued!

Since I didn't want to cast actors, as that wasn't the way I saw them in my head while reading (I didn't see, say, Connery when reading Vaughn, I just saw "Vaughn."), I took it as a challenge to piece the faces together from other Trek characters.

Vaughn is a mix of Admiral Dougherty and Picard from Insurrection, with a little Riker from First Contact.

Prynn is the Trill helmswoman from Insurrection with a little of Hoshi Sato from ENT season one.

Dr. Ree is a heavily photoshopped komodo dragon in a cheap suit. Also, he has Data's eye.

I'm still thinking about how to make some of the other TrekLit characters, and trying to limit it to on-screen Trek imagery is a fun little game. :)

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's pretty impressive.
    Is it just me, or does that Prynn look a little like Lindsay Price?

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i recognised Kell's hairstyle and there was something familiar about Vaughn's face and now you've said, i can see it's Patrick's eyes.

18. Mojomoe

Good catch!

You might say Vaughn would see a lot of things eye to eye with Picard.

Then again, he might go head to head with Dougherty over policy...

And Riker... something something... moustache.

Whatever, we're not all poets.

Here's another one I've wanted to visualize - Deep Space Nine's Taran'atar:

[​IMG]

I wanted something to show how dangerous he was, and I loved the clear yellow eyes they gave him on the relaunch covers.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, you've got to be one of the most talented photoshop users I've seen in a long time. I wish I could remember how to do the fancy stuff, but it's been years since I took photo and media productions (film making, we used photoshop for effects) in high school.

20. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Although he looks nothing like the description in the books I always imagine SecondGen as Robot 1-X from Futurama:
    http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Robot_1-X