Smallville Summer Hiatus Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the year Chloe beds Oliver.

Is that too much blondidity for the small screen?

Bpsi?

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

What should the voting options be like this year? Since Zod is going to be this season's main antagonist, how about making one of the options "Kneel Before Zod!"?

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

That should be the bottom one for obvious reasons.

I'd hate that pairing after this last season.

4. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm ready for Friday. I have spent the past week catching up on last season on DVD (thanks to Netflix). I had most of the episodes on VHS and DVR, and I wanted to catch up before last May's season finale. But I never got around to that. No matter. It was fun to go through the entire season on DVD.

I would say that my favorite episodes were "Instinct," "Legion," "Hex" and "Stiletto" (yes, no matter how silly it was). I watched "Legion" twice because it had a commentary track with Geoff Johns, the DC writer who also wrote the episode. I am not a die-hard fan of the Legion but I liked what the show did with just three Legionnaires. I hope they will come back this season. I suppose that will depend on the budget, right?

The Davis/Doomsday episodes were less enjoyable, mainly because Clark seemed unable to respond decisively to the threat. Meanwhile, the body count kept going up. Nice going, CK.

I was shocked by Jimmy's fate. I guess that means I did a good job of remaining spoiler-free for the last few months. I never would have predicted that Chloe would become a bride and then a widow during the same season. (BTW, if her divorce wasn't final then she's technically a widow, right?)

Let's talk about our favorite Daily Planet reporters. Should we assume that Clark earned his college degree, even though Smallville pretty much gave up on his college experience when Brainiac first showed up? Can we assume that some things happened offscreen? Could Clark have finished studying journalism? Or do you prefer the idea that the Daily Planet hired Clark (and Lois) even though they did NOT graduate from college? What kind of paper would do that? I know that this show is in the category of fantasy, but some concessions to reality wouldn't hurt.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I do know some newspapers who have hired people without degrees even recently (sometimes some college comes in handy more than college graduate - they don't have to pay them as much).

6. Guy Gardener

That and Chloe got them in. Peri White probably helped Clark. Actually Lionell probably helped Clark since he was totally gay for the traveller. When did Lex/Mercy stop being editor in chief? Did that help or Hinder?

Nepitism and the school tie.

7. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although that's just getting to be wrong anyway... I mean in the comics, Clark went to and finished journalism school, traveled the world and then became Superman. Here its like "finish high school, drop out of college, play house with high school sweetheart, become superman."

This really had better be the season that gets things back on track. With NO Luthors around... he should finally start doing something. Although I think having Doomsday last season was way too freakin' early.

8. Guy Gardener

There is no path.

9. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I only saw the season finale last Friday, the Doomsday arc suffered from them focusing on Davis Bloom (am I alone in finding Sam Witwer annoying?) instead of Clark fighting a big monster guy. And the Lana and fake Lex detour was irritating, but was probably necessary as the Doomsday saga wasn't enough for 22 episodes (or even the episodes it had).

And the hilarious finale, where Green Arrow was right and Clark's moralizing got Jimmy killed and left a buried monster waiting to escape and reek havoc again.

As much as Chloe does for Clark, he could at least let her *censored*. Come on, man, get that blue kryptonite if you are worried about your *censored* killing her.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was ready to drop the series after the conclusion of last season and the whole nonesense with Clark "Killing" himself and embracing his Kryptonian side again (I wonder if the new showrunners remember the whole Kal-El storyline from a few seasons ago...this has already been done. Jonathon was there to pull him back to his humanity though. Lois seems to be the one to do it this time). The short Doomsday fight was disappointing but as a number of posters were want to point out afterwards this is because the main fight between Doomsday and Superman has yet to happen. I'm inclined to accept that the spot underneath the plant is the place where Doomsday emerges later on in the future. Jimmy being killed and revealed as the younger brother of the real Jimmy Olsen was a lame escape device to explain the use of Jimmy in the first place.

The last couple of seasons has forced me to recover a full summer after these sheninagins. The casting of Metallo and Zod have me happy. The Justice Society coming onboard has me pleased, especially so since Geoff Johns is writing it. The Wonder Twins intrigues me. The possibily of a score being released sometime next year (the composer is looking into it..you can follow him on Twiiter) is inticing. A full season without Lana is awesome. So we'll see how things go this year.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Clark is a complete douchebag when it comes to the Chlovage and all she's done for him and on his behalf, ever since learning his secret. He may claim she's his best friend, but what he's really saying is 'Door-Mat'.

I want to see the Chlovage kick some ass as Watchtower this year, helping Ollie and the other guys.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Procutus I like your avatar. Where is that pic from? I also should mention that I won't be around on Friday (figures) since I'm attending a friends birthday party and will have to tape Savior. Looking forward to it.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Thanks Admiral, you're the first reaction I've gotten. It's a still taken from her independent movie 'You', which was pretty horrible, but the scenes with Ally were good. I think I got the picture from Kryptonsite several months back.

Sorry to hear you won't be onhand for the live commentary. I plan to be here, but lately, my plans haven't quite worked out, so we'll see. Hope that you post after having a chance to watch it.

;)

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I still can't believe Allison Mack will voice Power Girl in the Superman/Batman Public Enemies DC animated dvd

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Definitely looking forward to checking that out!

:techman:

16. Bad Bishop

Why should another clash with Doomsday happen at all in the Smallville universe?

Let's face it--we just cannot reconcile all events in Smallville with those in the films and comic books. It's pointless to try. The show's deviations from comic book tradition are just too numerous to count. The most fundamental difference? In Smallville there is no superhero with the name "Superman" who disguises himself as Clark Kent.

Then there's the existence of Chloe Sullivan. In "Legion," the three Legionnaires were puzzled because they never heard of Chloe before they arrived from the future. I thought this was a really interesting way of tackling the Chloe issue head-on. "Legion" offers us two choices--either there are multiple universes (including some where Chloe does not exist), or Chloe is not destined to be remembered in a thousand years. Take your pick.

It is simpler if we just accept that Jimmy Olsen died. Let's not assign his role to some other person.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't you threaten to do that at the end of every season? :p

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It was explained in the episode why Chloe wasn't remembered. She was killed because she was housing BrianIAC's katra.

19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

^ That's just another reason to be annoyed by Doomsday since it's a total retcon. The Legion told Clark that the Phantom Zone crystal would have extracted Brainiac without killing the host (Chloe). It was in their history books. Yet Rokk is now saying she was always supposed to die because of Brainiac.

On top of all that, it's a dumb reason for her not being known.

I do think it's a little cool. Then again, if we're not gonna see it ourselves, what's the point?

I can get on board with that.

20. Bad Bishop

I wasn't satisfied with that explanation. The Legionnaires were familiar with minutiae from Clark's life (like the baseball, for example). And yet they somehow didn't know about Clark's best female friend--whether she was alive or dead during Clark's early superhero career? I think there may be a deeper mystery at work here, and it involves multiple universes.