Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I didn't notice anything, lol. Though I did love that they added the warp flare against the starfield when they first begin the experiment...

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen that issue with a lot of scenes set in darkened rooms. I suspect it's something to do with how they were shot, and it would have just been too time-consuming to fix every one.

3. davejames

Just watched Lonely Among Us, and it's a lot better than I remembered. Sure it doesn't have the most complex plot, and is basically just another alien possession story, but it was still a fairly well-executed one, I thought.

There's a nice sense of atmosphere, the scenes between the crew are well written (even if they do seem awfully slow to figure out what's going on), Data has some fun moments as Sherlock Holmes, and we get to see cool things like the dress uniforms, the Sensor Maintenance room, and some new aliens.

And as goofy as it is, the end of the episode where Picard's energy somehow sneaks back onboard the ship was charming as hell and actually kind of worked. It's just hard not to smile when you see that "P" form on Geordi's station. :D

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

The thing that disappointed me about "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is that during the filming of the sickbay scene apparently no-one told Eric Menyuk about the boogers in his nose. Eww. :wtf:

The episode itself looked just gorgeous to me. Still one of my favorites from early TNG.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched Where No One yesterday (was and still is one of the grandest episodes of TNG - simply amazing), and I didn't notice it either. I did notice more grain in the dark scenes, but that's natural.

Doug

6. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

I've been watching the episodes in order and I haven't got through all of them yet but I did notice in Haven the voices sound like they're being played from a tape recorder or something and not coming from the actors mouths. It was only at the beginning before the title sequence.

7. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

The stereo track on Haven sounds alright, but it's labeled FRA.

8. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I watched Lonely Among Us the other day and noticed another "P" appear just before it appeared on Geordi's console. It was very brief and on one of the science stations. I also thought the effects of the The Last Outpost were done very well, especially when the guardian appears.

9. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yea, it was less noticeable in the SD version... I was showing my dad the difference in quality between SD and HD for 11001001... and when the Enterprise is pulling past the camera through the doors, during the interior shot at the beginning... he's like "Look! You can see right through the bussards!" when referring to the original SD transfer.

10. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched Stardate Revisited. Man I had not idea how over budget the show was. I have to say though, season 1 is still the crappiest looking season, and the worst stories of the whole run.

After watching a few episodes of Season 1, it is even more dated than the Original Series. It hasn't aged well. The original series hit their story strides right off the bat. It took TNG until season 3 to find itself.

-Chris

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Strange...I was just thinking how timeless the show looked earlier today:lol: and it comes off more cinematic than it did with the SD version(an impression which is verified for myself by both my own reaction and that of others to the theatrical screenings)...unlike even shows of today it looks like they were trying to make little mini-movies. Comparing it to TOS? Well since I was there and watching TOS 25 years after it was made I think STNG looks less dated at 25 years in 2012 than TOS did in 1991.

RAMA

12. davejames

I would agree. Some of the stories are clearly dated (and for some reason feel like they were lifted from old episodes of Buck Rogers or Time Tunnel), but the show itself looks absolutely fantastic now.

If it wasn't for the feathery 80s hairstyles and 4:3 framing it would probably hold it's own with any show on air today. At least visually speaking.

13. davejames

Ok I just watched Justice on this set, and I'd love to know how they made an episode with a whole bunch of half-naked people running around... with apparently no hot girls in it whatsoever!

Yeah the main girl Rivan is cute and all, but in HD it becomes abundantly clear that she's the ONLY one. Lol

14. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

The Blu-ray.com Australia forum thread has been updated with insider information from Paramount Australia: corrected sets are 'due' between August 20 and 30.

That's a heck of a turnaround given that the sets were already pressed and delivered to stores in Australia. Hopefully that's the new release date and not just when Paramount Australia will receive updated masters.

I wouldn't be surprised if that date still slips back into early September as JB Hi-Fi report, but if CBS and Paramount do manage to get the set out within that date range, we can't say that they didn't do their darndest to get this fixed ASAP. I just hope they manage that around the world.

15. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just looked at that Mighty Ape site that's mentioned on the Blu-ray.com Australia thread. If the TNG set is priced in $NZ, bloody hell, it's cheap in Sterling. Looking at about £37.

16. SillyTilly

SillyTilly Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Finished watching the episodes now and I have really enjoyed the rewatch of the season. The season might not be as good as the later seasons but I still think it is enjoyable and does have quite a few fantastic episodes. Watching the extras later tonight :)

17. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Here's a statement Bernd (EAS) received from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution regarding the sound issues of the recent TNG season 1 Blu-ray release:

Dear Star Trek Fans,

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

18. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Thanks for the update. I just sent them an email asking for the replacement disks.

19. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds like we should have replacement discs in hand by the time episode-a-week gets to the affected episodes. How convenient. :)

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Be aware, if you call they will ask for a number on the back of the discs. They are so small they are impossible to make out.

Girl finally got frustrated and sent me the replacement anyway and said the instructions on what to do with the original discs would be included.