Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both. They've certainly become far more streamlined. The work is second nature to them now (although there are still massive challenges).

2. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take that as a "no". :bolian:

3. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Disappointed they left in the ugly Movie-era warp out of the sun in Redemption but overall the FX look amazing so I'll let them off ;)
    (They even tried to jazz up the boring, re-used explosion from Yesterday's Enterprise with a bit of weapon discharge too, helps it :) )

I'm about the only person in the world that loves the 4-foot model more than the 6ft (I came into TNG when 4FT was being used exclusively and to me the 6FT looks ungainly and far too bright) so this era is now prime time for great angles of the ship :)

4. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Me too :techman: as a kid I started watching TNG in its 5th season so to me it is the Enterprise D, I adore the 4 foot model. I didnt see the earlier seasons till much later but I thought the 6 foot model's edged were just too thin and fragile as opposed to the bulky appearance of the 4 footer.

However, the 6 foot model has really grown on me after seeing CBS-D's work remastering it in Season 1. That opening shot of Encounter at Farpoint is a work of art.

7. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Having read all of these threads about the BR releases, I'm embarrassed to say I honestly can't tell the difference between the various models. Not at all. Which, given the controversy and general wailing and gnashing of teeth the unpopular models seem to cause, is probably a good thing.

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

You can't tell the difference between the 6 and 4 foot models???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, I remember back in the day I noticed the difference from the very first shot in which the 4-footer was used.

10. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Here's a much easier-to-view comparison. This is the Blu-ray thread after all! ;)

Six-foot:

[​IMG]

Four-foot:

[​IMG]

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I like the more feminine six-foot model.

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first noticed the difference, I was in my early teens. I didn't know the reason behind why they looked different, but could only describe the 4-foot model and "old and wrinkly" looking!

13. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed it as a kid. It was the deflector dish that stood out to me the most. I also noticed that the warp pylons were thicker.

14. trekker670

I was born in 91, so I really just watched TNG on whatever VHS I could get my hands on. The first time I really noticed was in "Starship Mine" when they power down the ship.

15. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season three's The Hunted was the first time I noticed. The more prominent lifeboats and other serfuce detail was really noticeable. I actually didn't find out until a few years ago that it was a different model. I just assumed it had been lit differently or something!

So when was the first appearance of the four-footer?

16. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The shot of a Romulan Warbird approaching the Enterprise at the beginning of The Defector was the first time the 4 foot model was used.

17. trekker670

So, this came up in the S5 thread, but in S4 started the Best Buy bonus discs that included new special features. Will these be included in the S4 bluray release?

18. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Yes. The S4 DVD Best Buy feature ("Inside the Star Trek Archives") will be included on the Blu-rays; the Enterprise Blu-rays are also including those BB features.

19. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the awesome episode the Defector, from season three.

WHile I love the 6 footer its with two huge caveats.

1. My reception off of air, made the ship loss any detail at all. Even it's lines lost a huge amount of their grace. But you could see finally in generations how beautiful that model was, but on typical tv didn't hapen.

2. The fact that the 4 footer was easier to use, allowed the fx to produce a lot more model shots, then the 6 footer would have allowed.

So for practical real world use back int eh 80's and early ninites its teh 4 footer all the way.

But if you had my i person looking at the 4 footer, and the 6 footer, the 6 footer is beautiful, its one of The enjoys of the blurays and the increase size of tv's today's that help show the detail that was always filmed, but not always seen by the viewer.

But you know what even if we had HD content and large sized tv, I think the fat that the fx people were able to provide so many more shots, and attempt much more complex shots, due to the ease of use of the smaller model (especially with the smaller area they had to film in, after the initial work ILM did), means I would still rather have had the 4 footer, uglier and all.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of a funny irony in the whole thing.

Douglas Trumbull and his team built the large refit Enterprise for TMP. In subsequent films (not 5), ILM took over the visual effects, and found the model too cumbersome and difficult to shoot. ILM ends up building an off-the-shelf AMT model to supplement the main model. As I recall, ILM wanted to blow up the actual model for Star Trek III since they hated it so much.

Later, ILM builds the 6-foot Ent-D model for Encounter at Farpoint. It's big and difficult to shoot, often having to be mounted upside down. Image G takes over and finds it too cumbersome. They end up building a new model that is smaller and doesn't separate, and easier to shoot.