Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Demon_82

Demon_82 Ensign Newbie

I might as well say something here about myself.

I'm a Spanish man, born back in the TWOK year, that has got to love most Sci-Fi out there, specially Star Trek. I've seen everything but TAS, and I liked it all (even JJverse), with my own set of preferences, of course. I have tech studies, and got to work briefly at the aerospace industry, closest to my dreams coming true. There's some satellites up there that's got parts that I've hold in my hands.

My favourite ships are the TWOK refit and the Excelsior, btw.

2. Captain Shade

Captain Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good to have ya, D82. Nothing wrong with having preferences. And my fave ship designs, are self made.

3. Liliana

Liliana Cadet Newbie

Hi. I am a Portuguese girl and I'm just starting to learn more about Star Trek. A friend told me that I should watch some episodes and I discovered that i really like Star Trek, specially the TOS. I'm glad that I've found this forum.

4. Captain Shade

And we're glad you found us too, Liliana.

5. metaluna mutant

metaluna mutant Ensign Newbie

Just a long time ST fan checking in.

Except for a few odd episodes on metv, I haven't really sat down and watched TOS in about 15 years so it's been dormant in my mind for a while. That said, 2 weeks ago I started a TOS marathon. Just finished Galileo 7. Interesting to see the show develop, so much of the early shows mythology and structure was in flux. Also forgotten many of the TOS antagonists are "metaphysical" -- either god like (Mitchell and Charlie X) or "evil" kirk. That's something no show would do today and more fantasy than Sci fi.

The multi ethnic crew now seems unnoticeable, like any modern tv show. What I was surprised by was the casual sexism. Progressive show, but still written or supervised by middle aged white men. Having just wrapped up Mad Men, I couldn't help but notice the theme, I guess. Those TOS mini skirt uniforms didn't help.

6. Chev 7

Chev 7 Ensign Newbie

Hey Everyone, long time trekkie reporting in. :) I'm a huge Star Trek fan and have been since I was a kid. I have a lot of the books and quite a few of the games and I'm not going to stop getting them anytime soon :rommie: I'm also a big fan of Roleplaying and I'm hoping to combine that particular hobby with my love of Star Trek while I'm here.

Favorite class of ship has to be a tie between the Klingon Negh'var and the Starfleet Sovereign class ship. Here's to hoping to meeting new friends and taking part in some trek discussion while I'm here.

7. Captain Shade

Welcome to the family, met-mut, and Chev 7. Good to have some long time fans, join up. And I remember playing the old FASA Star Trek RPG, back in the 80's. Would cross over with the FASA Doctor Who RPG, at times, as well. It was fun.

8. Chev 7

Chev 7 Ensign Newbie

Just curious, is there a role-playing forum on this site? If there is I'd love to participate.

9. Captain Shade

10. Chev 7

Chev 7 Ensign Newbie

11. Captain Shade

I don't see why not. Just make sure there's no threads dedicated to such things, before you start any new ones.

12. Chev 7

Chev 7 Ensign Newbie

So it would be okay to start a new thread in that section dedicated to Roleplaying on this site? Sorry about all the questions but I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules or anything.

13. Captain Shade

14. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone, long LONG-time Trekker here, but total noob to the Forum! Slightly too young to have watched TOS first-run, but I was among those indoctrinated through UHF reruns in the 1970s. I've seen all of the films at the theater. I'm mainly a fan of TOS, but enjoyed TNG as well. I haven't seen much of DS9 or Voyager, and only watched a couple of episodes of Enterprise. I enjoyed the 2009 J.J. film; ST:ID less so. I'm also a big supporter of fan films of many different genres, though of course I have a special place in my heart for Trek fan films.

Other passions include Doctor Who (huge fan), movies in general, comics, and basically anything that is well-crafted and shows a lot of imagination.

Like most, I have a day job, but enjoy creative stuff in my free time. I've self-published some comic books, written and directed a web series, and made a few short films. See my signature for my latest effort.

I'm always happy to chat about Trek, and very happy to have found this forum! :)

15. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I'm from Germany and a fan since i first saw the pilot of TNG on TV in 1990!
    I love speculating about Trek and reading the novels, which i like to read in original.

16. Kal

Kal Ensign Newbie

Hmmm, I intended to read all posts so I could have context and avoid saying anything that was oversaid by newbies, but then I saw the amount of posts so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and be the cheesy newbie that I am! I am a fan of all series and enjoy revisiting them, except for TOS, because I think it withstands the test of time better if it isn't looked at too much. It is legendary, the cast are legends, nuff said.

I never actually considered joining a forum before cos I've always been a passive fan, but I was re-watching Enterprise and it struck me to google Brana and see what he was up to. I do not begrudge a man (and another legend) his retirement but to me it kinda hit hard that with Roddenberry's heir gone, the chances of there ever being another series of the quality and intelligence we have previously enjoyed, are astronomical, bad pun fully intended.

So, ye, it kinda hit me a wee bit hard. I think I took it for granted really, that Trek would always be there with good stories, impressive new aliens and cultures, and always the important undertone of goodwill and the best of humanity that was Roddenberry's legacy. And here I am. I guess I felt I needed to do something, even if it was just jabber with some folk :D

Aaaand here's where edit kicks in, kinda forgot to mention in the 'Get to know you thread' any hint of personal information. So I guess the first thing I won't be mentioning is my attention to detail. I'm Irish, Born in Dublin; unfortunatly when I was five we moved from that grimy Metropolis to a house in County Kerry, right beside the beach. The humanity! On account of being born with an immune system as strong as wet tissue, most of my early life has been spent in the company of my many cousins (any book I could find) and my dear uncle telly. I eventually got healthier, prolly cos doc informed me alternative was stabling out at something the other direction. Still maintained contacts with my cousins and uncle though. Oh, and, I don't have a twitter account, because in case you haven't guessed, limiting characters is not my forte. Sorry ><

On a final note, Hi Unimatrix Q! I'd do well to learn from you and be concise. TNG pilot was also my first introduction to the marvellous that has united everybody here in appreciation of a shared imagination.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  17. TolkienOtaku

TolkienOtaku Lieutenant Red Shirt

So I first joined this forum a year and a half ago. As you can tell by my lack of an icon, I let my interest drift away from this site. I blame TVTropes. Meaning it's time to introduce (reintroduce?) myself.

I am a 26 year old woman living in Utah (yes, I'm Mormon. No, I wasn't born in Utah. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Mormons). Due to mental health issues, I still live with my parents and am only now seriously working towards going to the University of Utah to major in Chinese.

Star Trek is probably the first fandom I ever had. I remember watching episodes of TNG as a young child. It's always been a part of my life, and probably always will be.

My other major fandoms include the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, anime (favs include but are not limited to Fullmetal Alchemist and Puella Magi Madoka Magica), the Kingdom Hearts video game series (thank you, E3!), Avatar: The Last Airbender and it's sequel series, The Legend of Korra, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hobbies include reading, writing fanfic (crossovers are the best!), playing games on Facebook, and listening to music. Said music is an eclectic mix of Enya, bluegrass, classical, movie soundtracks, traditional Chinese, Japanese pop, Japanese pop sung by singing synthesizers (aka Vocaloid), and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Now for some possibly controversial Trek opinions. I like the reboot movies. A lot. I think they are a great way to revitalize the franchise, though I do agree that the lens flare could be toned down.

Secondly, I also like Star Wars. It has been just as much a part of my brain as Star Trek. I like both franchises for different reasons, and see no reason why one can't be a fan of both.

Wow, I'm wordy tonight. Hope to be more active here!

18. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Welcome, TolkienOtaku.

I think the idea of a Mormon sci-fi fan makes perfect sense.

One thing I've learned in life is that everyone's opinion is controversial, so welcome to the board and I'm sure you'll find you fit in just fine.

19. TolkienOtaku

TolkienOtaku Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks for the welcome!

20. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

You're...welcome?

/redundancy