What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pellucidar by Edgar Rice Burroughs

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

At the moment I am alternating between the Kindle and Audible versions of Four Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Romanov Grand Duchesses by Helen Rappaport. Have only got up to the courtship and marriage of Nicholas and Alexandra and the birth of their first child, Olga. The Audible narration is by Karen Cass.

Earlier in the week I listened to the first two books in the Lewis trilogy by Peter May - The Blackhouse and The Lewis Man. The first was narrated by Steve Worsley and the second by Peter Forbes. Both are good but I enjoyed the first slightly more Both books gave excellent accounts of what life on the Isle of Lewis (Outer Hebrides) is like.

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I finished the Vampire Diaries series and am back to 41 by George W. Bush.

5. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    There's actually a lot of foreshadowing in King's book, but...well, it's a lot like what you described, i.e. it starts by being one thing, and then takes a dizzying u-turn.

King's books are usually something like my signature, but in the end, there's always a literary catharsis à la "no matter how awful things are, in the end, the good side will prevail, regardless of their sacrifices...or because of them".

Revival fucks that where the sun doesn't shine, to put it crudely, and leaves the reader running for mother. Seriously. It's that traumatising.

Good old Steve is still my favourite author, though.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I haven't read many King books, but I totally understand. It's one thing when you carry the tone throughout, but when you go and totally change the direction and tone, especially during the last quarter of a book, you risk making it a completely different story. In my case, the book I was reading felt like the last part was tacked on. And ironically, I would have been fine if it had just ended before that last quarter as it would have ended on a sweet note.

Just recently finished reading Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child and Micro by Michael Crichton. Out of the two, I liked Terminal Freeze more. Micro was like Crichton's take on 'Honey, I shrunk the kids' and was kind of silly at best.

Moving on to The Janson Option by Paul Garrison.

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I Must Say by Martin Short

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

9. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Finally finished Building Harlequin's Moon (good stuff), and just started Golem of Hollywood. No golems yet.

11. Miss Chicken

Lego: A Love Story by Jonathan Bender. Its about AFOLs (adult fans of Lego).

12. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

In the middle of a reread of Under the Dome (Stephen King). It's better than the show imo. Still somewhat of a slog though.

13. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride mainly because the title amused me.

14. Miss Chicken

I finished the before mentioned Lego book yesterday and all I can say is Adult Fans of Lego are some of the biggest geeks in existence.

I am now listening to a Sherlock Holmes pastiche - Holmes in Time for Christmas by Ross K Foad, narrated by Martyn's Clements. I think the narrator is average at best, and I think the author is trying to include too many references to Sherlock canon in the story which is slowing the actual story down.

My Kindle read is 30 Second Sci Fi: Three Hundred and Sixty Five Stories of a Science-fictional Nature by Philip Trippenbach which I downloaded after learning about it in this thread. I have only read a handful of the stories so far.

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Reading The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.

Listening to the first volume of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series in the car.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm about a third of the way through Golem of Hollywood. Still no Golems. Maybe. I do have a little theory....

The stories vary wildly in quality, but it was pretty addictive. I was sorry when I was done.

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences, Edward Tenner

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure" - Donald Kladstrup and Petie Kladstrup

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Started my annual reading of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".

20. Miss Chicken

I am planning to listen to it on Christmas Eve.

I am now listening to The Chessmen by Peter May, narrated by Peter Forbes. it is the third book in the Lewis trilogy. A natural bog burst drains a loch on Lewis Isle revealing a largely undamaged plane that disappeared 17 years before.