What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Civ001, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw the movie first and I thought it was brilliance, before the TV series came out. When SG-1 started I loved it too but I wasn't able to watch it religiously so I missed a bunch of episodes which turned out to be kinda important. (e.g. "Who the eff is Jolinar? And who the eff is Cassandra?") I've tried not to miss an episode since season 4 of SG-1, though.

Just because I like Star Trek doesn't mean it has to be the only science fiction show I ever watch or like. I'm a Trekkie and a Gater, a Niner and a Lurker, a Dwarfer and a Whovian and a Browncoat. And many others besides.

2. spooky spice

spooky spice Commander Red Shirt

:techman::techman:

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stargate never struck me as particularly imaginative and certainly not at all ambitious. The storytelling was pedestrian. That said, the shows often had a light touch and a sense of humor about them that made the franchise a little easier to enjoy, hour by hour, than a lot of Star Trek.

4. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fun, engaging characters. Pretty well developed universe. And occasionally, both character and idea wise, they go deep. Stargate is aces in my book.

When I really want deep, I go for BSG or Babylon 5. I want light but still smart, I go Stargate. When I want a show that rides both lines regularly, Trek or Doctor Who. Or Farscape, when I want sexy and warped with the previous.

And Firefly, for something completely different.

5. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

:bolian: I am a Trekkie, Gater, Lurker, Scaper, Browncoat, Jedi and I love Battlestar Galactica

6. spooky spice

what's a "lurker"?

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

In this case, it must be referring to Babylon 5 (The lurkers were the Homeless who lived in the lower levels of the station, that were like a Ghetto.

Lurker is also used to refer to someone who reads BBS, but, doesn't post.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lurker threw me, too. I thought the approved term was Bablyoniac (or Fiver, but I never liked that one.)

Incidentally, for BSG, the approved term is Frakhead. :D

And what I think of Stargate at right this second is that if there was another series coming out, I'd check it out because dammit Jim, I need some kind of space opera series to watch.

But SGU tested the limits of just how boring a space opera series can be. Just couldn't hack it. Either Stargate needs a new creative team that can do "dark and dismal" without also being dishwater-dull and annoyingly whiny (ask Ron Moore) or it needs to return to the fluffy approach. The former option is more appealing to me.

9. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

The bold part I agree I need some good space opera

10. spooky spice

Ahh, I never heard B5 fans called that, actually, come to think I've never heard a collective noun for B5 fans - and I had several friends who were fans...

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I wouldn't use either 5'er or Lurker personally, but, with that list, I can't imagine anything else was intended by Lurker, but, to reference B5.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Stargate in all its incarnations.

13. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

i guess i ceased to be a star-trek fan after i finally managed to watch all of sg last year and this one, stargate did everything bigger and better. while sg went from strength to strength, the ori arc was great, so were atlantis and the last season of sgu, the dust has settled over ds9, voy and ent never to be disturbed again, and st12 will most likely be the same sort of travesty like st11. what's the hostility towards sga? according to gateworld and others, atlantis had better average ratings, and more top episodes than sg1 despite half the number of seasons. the best rated season of all of sg is sga4. what's wrong with fun, anyway?

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're making the mistake of assuming ratings = quality. (Which isn't a very strong argument in SGA's case anyway.)

SGA was fun in that light, trivial, unimaginative and unambitious Stargate way. But other shows have proven that fun is not incompatible with a certain degree of seriousness or creative ambition. I did appreciate Joe Flanigan, though.

15. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Star Trek vs Stargate

Like my other thread this one is talking about if there was a all out war between these two universe's who would win in a fight Star Trek vs Stargate?

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek vs Stargate

Stargate becuase they know you can beam bombs to other ships if their shields are down.

17. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Voyager in the battle? If so, then the Stargate Universe is doomed. Voyager is the magic, ultra-destructo ship, and it always looks great the next week!

18. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Stargate. The Taur'i ships don't just sit in place and form a firing line to attack the enemy ships like Trek ships do. They are actually maneuverable. Plus hyperspace is incredibly faster than Warp.

19. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Stargate universe would win, hands down. If Sam Carter could create a super doomsday weapon from just rubber bands, paper clips and chewing gum on an average day, then imagine what she could do if she got her hands on Starfleet tech.

Sean

20. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Not to mention that Asgard and Ancient technology is lightyears ahead of anything the Federation has and the Taur'i has access to all of it.