2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Huddy has been pulled, he didn't even make through two inning. :o

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Game 7 - all hands on deck

Might not be surprised if Bumgarner gets into this game.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, he just entered the game. On two days' rest, though, I can't imagine Bochy is going to leave him in there for more than 40 or 50 pitches.

4. Ultima Thule

Ultima Thule Ensign Red Shirt

Looks like he might finish it.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Would be nice to see KC pull this out. Been a long time for them...

6. Timby

Unfortunately, I fear Even Year Bullshit will strike again. :(

Edit: Aaaaand it did. See you next year with a new commissioner.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Royals fans shouldn't be ashamed at this. It takes a lot to make it to the WS at all, let alone Game 7.

Note to the Fox broadcasters: Okay. We get it. It's over. You can stop creaming yourselves over Bumgarner any minute now.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Madison Bumgarner became a legend tonight. I didn't want to see him in this game, but he came in and it was amazing to watch him work

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2014 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

What an amazing feeling. :techman::techman::techman::techman:

9. Timby

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ :guffaw: How appropriate...

And I found myself hoping that Salvador Perez, whom the Giants plunked, would hit a HR to win the series and rub it in their faces just a tad.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The Giants did not win tonight.

Madison Bumgarner did. Without him this game would have been ours. That the media, reporters, etc. are all creaming over him is evidence enough. The Royals are a TEAM and machine where everyone has a contributing factor to it all. Had we won there credit would be hard to pin on any one person.

That said, Gordon should have gone for the in-park homer there at the end of the game.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Congrats to the Giants on their third World Series victory in five seasons--and congrats to the Royals on an amazing season; here's to many more successful seasons in KC.

Questions I'm pondering after tonight's game:

• Was this Pablo Sandoval's last game as a Giant?
    • Will we see Buster Posey at 1B next season?
    • The Giants have six legitimate starters (Bumgarner, Peavy, Hudson, Vogelson, Lincecum, Petit), plus Matt Cain due back at some point in 2015; Vogelsong is a FA; is he back next season?
    Bud Selig has to be proud of the way things ended up for him. He brought the WC to baseball. Two WC teams battled for seven games in his final WS as MLB Commissioner.

--Sran

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Why oh why did Joe "I speak in a monotone and indicate emotion by raising the volume of my voice" get to call a game 7? Ughh.
    Madison Bumgarner was amazing. That was a masterful performance. Late in the ninth he knew he was done but he also knew he could get Royals batters to chase high fastballs, and that they were afraid of him. So he threw high fastballs.

When you are going back over 100 years to find the last time a pitcher accomplished what he did, that's special.

14. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

What a bummer, boring Giants win again, the Royals were much more interesting.

15. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As otherworldly amazing as Bumgarner was tonight, I disagree. Without those 3 runs, he could have held the Royals to 2 runs all he wanted and still would have lost. Without that badass double play by Panik and Crawford, who knows what happens. Bumgarner was no doubt the star of the game but it was no doubt a team effort.

I'm still beside myself and can't believe what I just saw. Not just tonight, but over the last month. I've been a die hard fan since I even knew what baseball was and went through a lot of losing years and the heartbreak that was 2002. These past 5 years have been a great time to be a fan and can't wait to introduce my child to this great game and this team when he or she is born right in time for the 2015 season.

And for them to do it all again in 2016. ;)

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The only way Gordon makes it home safely is if he's going full speed as soon as he's out of the box. That hit just looked like it was going to be a routine single, so I'm not surprised he didn't.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yeah, if he had started hard, had a chance. Sending him the way it was would have been suicide, it was to the cutoff guy by the time he was touching 3rd. Out by 30 feet at least, not a good way to end a world series. You leave the chance to the guy at the plate and hope for a hit or passed ball. It was the right call.

Inside the park HR would have been cool, though...

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

A botched Inside-Homerun would have been a bad way to end the year, sure, but the way Bumgarner was pitching the next batter getting a piece of the ball wasn't likely. How many hits did Bumgarner give up during his time on the mound? 2 over the course of 40 or 50 pitches? It's easy to "Thursday Morning Base Coach" when you've got time to think about this stuff and analyze it as opposed to split-moment decision making.

But at the moment Gordon was heading for 3rd the game was either heading for a loss or a win. Bummy was showing slight signs of fatigue but, still, the odds were literally not in the favor of someone getting a piece of the next round of pitching.

All true, but that the Giants had to pull Bumgarner out of the bullpen, without a sufficient rest period between games, shows how crucial he was. Any of their other pitchers and the Royals could have likely gotten a piece of it taken the lead and likely the win.

If you have to rely on your Wild Card to win a game you don't have a strong hand. The Giants didn't feel confident they could hold the Royals to 2, so bring in the only asset they really have. Without him, they lose that game.

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Bumgarner might have just turned in the greatest complete World Series performance of all time. I was pulling for KC but after a while I just said fuck it, this is truly amazing to watch. I expected Bumgarner to be a two inning stop gap at most.

20. Timby

The issue wasn't Bumgarner being lights-out -- the issue was that the Royals have a long-standing issue with plate discipline on an organizational level, and last night it came back to bite them in the ass. Bumgarner was all over the place:

[​IMG]

I mean, c'mon. Guys were swinging at shoulder-level pitches all night, which just let Bumgarner keep on tossing garbage. This was Sal Perez's final at-bat, what kind of shit is this:

[​IMG]

The other really mind-boggling thing was Escobar's 2 - 0 bunt. I have no idea what the fuck anyone was thinking there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.