Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Didn't the Byrne/Post Crisis Superman do some wandering before donning the cape? I think he and Bruce Wayne even "wandered" into the same place once.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Byrne invented the idea of Clark wandering the Earth before he became Superman. It kind of bugs me that people credit Mark Waid's Birthright for this element.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

^ The idea of Superman srtruggling with who he is or even wandering certainly is not a Christopher Nolan idea. Even the very first episode of the Adventures of Superman with George Reeves show Clark struggling with what to do with himself and his powers.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just wait until he watches Man of Steel ten times with the intent to find things to validate his stance. That will be fun.

Also, I added Zack Snyder's name to the tags, so case closed! :guffaw:

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Superman The Movie showed a young Clark leaving the farm to find himself. The Salkinds just chose to skip ahead to the scene where he throws the crystal and creates the Fortress.

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

No wonder you don't like Nolan's Batman films, you have an aversion to quality stories. It's OK, I'm sure it will just be a phase and you'll be able to enjoy quality storytelling again.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. Ma Kent even kept a scrapbook of disasters that didn't quite happen--Clark acting as a guardian angel even pre-Superman. A scrapbook that caused some trouble when Lex Luthor came sniffing into the connection between Superman and Clark.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Henry Cavill in F*** Magazine:

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because disliking one story means I hate all "good" stuff. I guess the fact that I really like the majority of Alan Moore's other comic stuff that I've read (V for Vendetta, The Killing Joke, The League of Extrodinary Gentlemen, Top 10) doesn't matter, because I dislike one of his more popular works :rolleyes:.

Ugh. I really like John Byrne, but his Superman origin seems like something I wouldn't be interested in. I'll stick to his Marvel work.

Also, just because it was mentioned earlier as something I needed to watch before saying I truely hate Nolan :vulcan:, I watched Inception yesterday. While I may be very stubborn sometimes, but i'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best movie ever, but by how I rate movies its a solid 8 out of 10. I liked the concept, the characters were done well, and it had some cool visuals and action. The very end scene was really annoying (it was unneeded ambiguity at that point, personally I go with the ending being real) and it had a few other flaws but besides that it was entertaining from beginning to end, and even had a twist with the main character and his wife that I actually took me by surprise. Not perfect, but a good movie I'd watch again. So, Nolan's 1 for 5 with me. I guess this does mean its technically possible for him to be involved in a good Superman movie, but one success doesn't mean I'm a Nolan fan, or that I'll forget his horrible stuff. I do plan to watch Memento next, just to see if its any good.

So, there you go. I still think Man of steel will suck, but I guess I have to admit it is possible it may be good.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

You should see Memento now, I'd really like to hear your comments on that one as it's what made me like Nolan (though I'd be the first to admit I'm not a Nolan fanboy).

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

This:
    is what makes this:
    Look foolish.

12. kirk55555

Well, regardless of the fact that I acknowledge that Nolan can make a good movie, MoS still looks bad. The problems I could see about it just from videos are still there, like wandering Clark and Krypton getting way more than the 5 minutes it deserves. Seriously, Jor-El should get maybe 10 lines before Clark is off to Earth, not counting narration, but it practically looks like its own plot just because of what we've seen in trailers/TV spots. I also think its going to be too depressing, especially since every single trailer and TV spot makes Clark look like the most depressed superhero ever. It just still looks like a bad movie. Even though I will admit it has a chance of being good, I'm not saying its a good chance. Maybe a 25% chance of not sucking, if I'm being generous. Thats better than the 0% chance I would have given it before, but I'm still not feeling positive about this movie, just slightly less negative.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, "good" and "bad" movies are obviously subjective terms. You want certain things out of this movie that you're not seeing in the trailers. That's fine; doesn't mean the movie is bad. Just means you don't like it.

For me, this is the first time ever that I have had any interest in seeing a Superman movie, and it's specifically because it looks so different than what I have come to expect from the character.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You're a Superman fan and a comic fan, but have never read Byrne's run? Byrne's run is pretty much the definitive version for the latter half of the 20th Century and is still influencing Superman today.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It amazes me how much effort some will invest in discussing a movie that they claim to have no interest in seeing....

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first Superman film where actually something happens with believable visual effects.

Superman Returns already had believable effects, but nothing exciting happened. All we got was Superman lifting some heavy stuff (he lifts a shuttle, then he carries a plane, then he lifts a car, then he lifts some debris and the Daily Planet globe, then he lifts a ship, then he gets beaten the crap out of, then he lifts an island, and that's it), and a promise that the sequel would be about real action with Superman finally throwing some punches.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. The original films were limited by what they did at the time, but it was clear that they worked so damn hard, and many of the most important shots look great. I really liked shots as to when two of the super villains lift up a bus together. Looks great. When Superman pushes a bus up back to the bridge in the first film it holds up. Overall, the shot where he uses his own body to fix a gap in the train tracks is still effective. The shot where he takes off after the helicopter to save Lois is still effective. Maybe these shots are rougher around the edges, but they are also filled with energy and effective. so much CGI stuff might look better, but it can often feel more synthetic.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sometimes CGI and practical effects are like the difference between a studio recording of a band and a live performance. One may be more precise but it lacks the energy of the other.

19. kirk55555

I like Superman, but of all the big superheroes, he's probably the one whose comics I've read the least, atleast of his solo stuff. I've read a lot of him in JLA and stuff like that. Of the solo stuff, I've read some Golden age stories, individual stories like For the Man Who Has Everything (which is great), Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Whats So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way, some silver age stories in collections and other stuff like that. The problem is that, for more modern stuff, the New Krypton arc stopped me from being able to get into superman because it required so much reading (it was around this time that I started to be able to get more access to comics), so by the time I managed to read some of his newer pre reboot stuff, it was JMS's horrible Grounded arc. Thats not to say I haven't read modern stuff, like All Star superman and some of the Superman/Batman series, but he's just been the hardest hero to get into from a newer comic perspective. I did watch all of Superman TAS, JL/JLU, and the various DC Animated movie, and thats more where I get what I consider the best version of Superman from (or atleast the version I enjoy the most). I've read one issue of Byrne's Man of Steel (issue #2, that was in The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told TPB I got) and it was ok, although I don't like the fat lex stuff very much. I like that he's a buisness man, but from what I've read of fat lex, he's just not enough of a scientist for me. From what I've heard of Byrne's Superman stuff in this topic, it doesn't sound like something i'd like very much.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved SR, but I have to agree it was awfully light on action for a Superman movie. The airplane rescue and yacht rescue were both fantastic of course, but that just isn't nearly enough for a modern day superhero movie.

I just hope the action and battles in this movie don't rely too much on a clearly CG Superman. I get that he needs to move faster than the average person, but if everything he does looks like it was animated in a computer, it's going to be awfully hard to get emotionally involved in any of it.