Life of the Enterprise-A

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Bry_Sinclair, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the Enterprise A, I had just gone with the thought that a different Constitution-class vessel, maybe Yorktown, maybe Ti-Ho, had been renamed Enterprise. It would have been a newer ship, launched perhaps close to the V'Ger Incident, and possibly was in Spacedock for a refit to a newer bridge and computer system. That would explain the new touchscreen bridge that looks like the older Enterprise's Bridge. This ship would've been disabled during the Probe incident in Star Trek 4, and available for re-assignment as the new Enterprise for Kirk and crew. The ship hadn't undergone a shakedown with the new systems, explaining Scotty's trouble with the ship. The second bridge would have been available from some other Constitution-class vessel or at Spacedock, and put on the ship in hopes that this newer bridge would have sufficiently advanced control systems for the ship, though without a proper shakedown, the Enterprise would still experience the issues it found in Star Trek 5. By Star Trek 6, they had had one additional bridge, and the ship was running well, even though it was about 20 years old or so, leading to being decommissioned in favor of the Enterprise B. That worked for me.

2. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely the Enterprise-A was decommissioned because they needed to rename a starship in honor of Captain Reza's USS Indefeasible, considering how her ship's valiant sacrifice rescued Andor from certain doom.

3. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    YOUR IDEAS ARE INTRIGUING AND I WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR NEWSLETTER. No, really, I am enjoying the theory & find it much more plausible than any I've encountered before & duly intend to steal it for inclusion when I get to writing about this event.

Honestly, I really liked the NX module & wished they'd kept it. Everything was so roomy & shiny-glassy. It was very much NOT Enterprise, which was the whole point & totally fit Bill George's "anime Enterprise" concept. Also, your theory might also explain the TARDIS-like positioning for the turbolifts in TFF & TUC. Might.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There was this sci-fi magazine (not just starlog) that wanted artists to submit what Ent-A (before it was known as anything other than Enterprise II) would look like.

I'd like to see that restarted...

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot about those. But I was referring mainly to the perimeter stations, which took the giant black touchscreen approach from STIII's Excelsior (and IIRC, were originally considered for TOS but the technology of the time wasn't up to the task)

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

TOS had the technology at the time.
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03hd/wherenomanhasgonebeforehd015.jpg

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to do it on the scale they originally wanted - which was pretty much what we saw on the NX-2000 and in STV.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's just a case of it being a natural progression that began pretty much from day one with Trek. From a directing perspective, it was more dramatic in TOS to have the actors pushing buttons, flipping switches, and sliding levers than the touchscreens and it's probably still true today (and IIRC, the reason why director Nick Meyer had some of them brought back for Star Trek VI).