Captain Pike

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by PikeFan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. PikeFan

PikeFan Commander Red Shirt

Which Pike was better and why?

I liked all three.

Hunter was humanized and tough.

Kennery (sp?) was what I'd expect from Hunter's Pike. A hero for saving cadets.

Greenwood was the PERFECT Pike, he had authority and he was gorgeous....

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed what we saw from Hunter and wish that we could have gotten more. Although I don't think he would have been quite as fun as Kirk, I think it would have been an interesting character to develop. But, the Pike that we saw in Greenwood was excellent as well. I hope they use him well in the Star Trek sequel.

3. PikeFan

Greenwood makes a new facet on the Pike character. For not being fans, the reboot writers did a great job with my idea of Pike

4. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I like Greewood's best. Never cared much for Hunter's Pike; he just existed. But I really like Greenwood's "interpretation" of the character.

5. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Agreed. ;)

But I disagreed strongly with his irrational decision to bump an inexperienced cadet all the way up to First Officer, for many reasons.

Terrible command decision.

6. PikeFan

*smacks the Cardie swine* How dare you knock Jeff Hunter! J/K :rommie:

That was one of those, it wouldn't be Trek without Kirk in command pieces of BS decision.

7. T'Bonz

Understood. But the device for getting him there was poorly done. It's like "Oh hell, we have to have Kirk in charge and he's only just got out of the Academy. What should we do?"

The results were not pretty. Bypass the entire chain of command with someone who is an untried punk?

Of course it worked because the writers MADE it work. But it was very unrealistic and annoying, as annoying as Spock's decision to (kill) strand Kirk on a planet with a big red "buy this Christmas toy in December" monster.

That wasn't the Spock I knew.

I like Kirk in command, obviously, but logic was thrown out the window in this case.

But back on topic, I loved Greenwood, minus that decision.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Loved Jeffery Hunter... Greenwood not so much. While I generally like Greenwood as an actor, I found his portrayal of Pike as rather bland.

9. T'Bonz

Bland? He was commanding and strong. At least to me.

10. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Perfect post. Completely agree on every point.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You can’t really call Sean Kenney’s turn as the crippled Pike “acting” — all he did was blink occasionally. He didn’t even do his own beeping.

Yeah, don’t mess with Jesus!

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Where did you get the idea the writer's weren't fans? I think it well documented the the writers ( and the rest of the "Supreme Court") were fans of varying degrees.

Hunter was good, but the character was a little too serious. ( You can see traces of that in Season One Kirk and TNGs Picard) Shatner really changed how "the Captain" would be portrayed.

Never thought much about Kenney. The make up and SFX made the performance.

Greenwood was good. The tough older mentor type that challenges the young upstart.

13. PikeFan

well, I added him for nostalgia!

Yeah, don’t mess with Jesus![/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!

I misspoke/typed. I meant they weren't fanatics. not like we are anyway, or at least I got that impression from the behind the scenes on the 09 movie.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I believe one or two were "fanatic". Either Orci or Kurtzman and one other. (Lindelof?)

15. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Unfortunately, they were overruled by JJ "Make it more like Star Wars" Abrams.

I refuse to see anything from that twerp ever again. Even blew off the last two seasons of "Lost" because of what he did in that movie.

16. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    You mean the way he made it fun, exciting and appealing to a whole new generation of fans? Yeah, what an asshole...

17. T'Bonz

But will they stick with it? Or was it the latest thing to be replaced five minutes later by other kewl stuff?

As a fan of Trek, I have to say that the movie was entertaining. I'm not so sure I liked the more emo Spock and frankly, Kirk was a brash punk and not in the charming way that he was in say, The Wrath of Khan.

But if I consider it the alt-Trekverse, I can live with it, I guess. The casting of Quinto as Spock was pretty good.

I guess my problem is that these aren't really my Trek characters, they seem to be modern take on what they would be; tough, brash, punky and a bit immoral (sleeping with the professor, sleeping with the green girl to get access to a test, an angry Vulcan stranding a man on a planet where he had a good chance of dying just because he pissed you off, etc.)

Perhaps I'm just having a problem with characters I felt I knew for years being redone and not always in a flattering way.

But yes, the movie was entertaining. Will it rejuvenate the franchise? Seriously, I doubt it. Another movie or two and that will be the end of the reboot.

And I seriously doubt that new fans who like this will stay like we did.

It's OK though. Years and years of Trek. Original series through VOY. Some I loved, some of it wasn't as good, but if you had told me - when I was 13 and bemoaning the fact that I had "just missed" the glory days of Star Trek - that Trek was only in its infancy and much more was to come, I wouldn't have believed it. (Or believed I'd be a fan in my 50s. :p) It's been a grand ride.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Pike would say . . .

"Beep."

19. PikeFan

plynch, beep yourself LOL

Captain April is jealous he was left out, maybe you'll be in the next movie.

I accept the new movie as AU, it helps me that way. Pike seems the same in the trekverse and AU for me.

20. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I'm quite relieved that they didn't include April. One less thing for them to fuck up.

The best point of view I've heard on this film came from RedLetterMedia's review. Specifically, this was not "the next Star Trek movie." This was yet another big movie remake of an old 60's tv show, with no real connection to that show beyond the title and the character names, and playing on all the tropes and gimmicks that the general public thinks were a part of the original show, but really weren't.

This time, they just happened to do it based on Star Trek.

As such, it has no bearing or impact upon the preexisting franchise, and in the end, is easily, and completely, disposable.