What Happens After Death

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Into Darkness, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and since it is invisible and intangible, why would you believe in it. It is indistinguishable from being made up fantasy.

Yes, wouldn't you? Eventually I hope! The question is, at what point does it become inappropriate for a child to believe in Santa? At age 5? Age 8? Age 12? Maybe never? Why rob the child of that illusion if it makes the child happy, gives it hope and a moral framework to live by with a clear reward structure if it is good?
    So why not reinforce the believe way into adulthood?

You probably don't do that, because you know at some point the child will figure it out on it's own by simple reasoning and while you keep trying to reinforce the believe system you brand yourself a liar in the process and the child will come to resent you for it or start to pity you.

Good thing, we have those on the board. J.?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

At your service. :D

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I think since nobody knows what happens after death and everyone has differing beliefs, this thread will only serve to spur religious debate...

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It's sad having a discussion with someone who refuses to acknowledge what's already been said about personal beliefs and choices. If you still don't get it, I'll just say faith is a cultural thing. If you can't live with that, then you're a Nazi. :p Again, this is just like being asked to justify why one would prefer to wear boxers to briefs. It's an exercise in futility.

You're missing the point. Of course, when a child is old enough, he'll eventually figure out the truth about the Tooth Fairy, et al. But I was referring to little children whose belief in a jolly old fat guy in a red suit is part of the cultural observance of Christmas. Little ones in particular like the idea of a Santa Claus as part of the "magic" of Christmas.

Godd thing, Godd Almighty.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with that. As long as everyone remains civil...we can't learn unless we hear and consider other people's beliefs.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Those who say there's nothing after death, aren't you a little bit puzzled by what happens to your perception of nothing? You suddenly cease to exist, how's that going to be? It's paradoxical. How can you experience non-existence? Or how can you not experience existence?

I think that paradox is the basis for any belief in a life after death.

7. Amaris

If all brain function ceases, all life processes stop permanently, then it is very likely that there is no more "you." You can't perceive if you can't think.

8. thestrangequark

How is it paradoxical? I don't expect to be experiencing anything. Is it paradoxical that you experienced nothing before your birth?

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You can't experience non-existance. That's the point.
    Anyone who says it's inconceivable to not experience anything anymore should try to remember the time before he was born/conceived.
    Pretty much the same thing.
    Was it so horrible to not exist yet? How do the people cope with that?

10. Gryffindorian

If the definition of dying is being brain dead, then yes, all thoughts cease to exist.

So what makes us human? Is it our brain that makes us who we are? If all our memories, skills, and experiences were wiped out, would we stop being ourselves?

Space. Time. Life itself. The secrets of the cosmos lie ... through the wormhole.

11. Amaris

Yes.

12. thestrangequark

Definitely. The evidence for this is overwhelming. The brain physically changes as a result of new experiences, thoughts, and learning in ways that we can observe and measure. But the even more overwhelming evidence is that damage to the brain can vastly change a person's memories, behaviors, and personality. While the exact nature of consciousness is not yet understood, all the evidence leads to one conclusion: The mind and the soul are the brain.

And isn't that a wonderful, beautiful thing? A few pounds of mushy, grey and white and pink that is the most complex organ we know of, with more neurons than there are stars in the galaxy; that is able, through chemistry and electricity, to observe, learn, communicate, create, and love. Brains are cool.

13. Amaris

Also: sexy.

14. thestrangequark

^Only the clever ones. ;)

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's you right now experiencing not being able to remember something. You compare your current state with your past state. Constantly. And are aware of yourself.

Death is not comparable to that.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

There is no paradox and no contradiction because there is no "you".

17. thestrangequark

It's not a case of not being able to remember something...nothing happened. Nothing happened to me before I existed. Nothing will happen when I'm done existing. There is nothing to remember and there will be nothing to experience. I don't see how this is difficult to comprehend. Have you ever been anesthetized for surgery? Under complete anesthesia the brain is shut off. The experience isn't like sleeping. There is no sense of passage of time and no dreaming. You are lying on the table counting backwards, "10, 9, 8," and then you wake up in the recovery room and that's that. I figure being dead will be that, nothing. Except I won't wake up.

18. Amaris

If neurons aren't firing, you're not remembering, you're not experiencing, you're not even conscious, because the matter that holds all of this information is defunct. It has shut down, it has been rendered moot.There is nothing to process. There is nothing at all. Dead.

19. Gryffindorian

Aye, it's a fascinating organ, the brain. I saw a recent episode of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, asking if the brain could be hacked, the way a computer can be hacked. The simple answer by scientists was yes. So in the future it's possible for our innermost thoughts to be explored (and perhaps manipulated?). I'll have to watch it again sometime.

20. thestrangequark

^Yeah, there is a lot of cool research in that area. early stages of the technology, but this is fucking cool stuf:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsH7RK1S2E&feature=youtu.be[/yt]

Hmmm...don't know why the video is not showing up, maybe it will later. If it doesn't, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsH7RK1S2E&feature=youtu.be