shared universe, crossovers and easter eggs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Hando, Jul 20, 2013.

1. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I always liked the idea that galaxy quest was the trek like show on tv in the trek universe despite the problems with that

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I would have liked Sam to leap into Jonathan Archer's body.

3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Captain, the Klingons are firing again! Sir! ... Sir?"

"Oh boy."

*Cue theme music*

4. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

This would mean that Jonathon Archer was a descendant of Sam Beckett's. An interesting notion.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Nah. Just that the whole time we saw Capt. Archer, he was Sam Beckett. That's why he became the center of that whole Temporal Cold War thing. You didn't think he actually looked like that, did you? :)

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think what Stoek means is that in Quantum Leap, the only time Sam leapt beyond the span of his own lifetime (in "The Leap Between the States") was when he leapt into his own ancestor. So the only way he could leap into a 22nd-century starship captain was if that captain was his direct descendant.

7. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

:D Exactly. I should have trusted that you would have been among the first to know exactly what I was talking about. :)

8. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Well we know Sam had a daughter that was unaware of her genetic line. Maybe she married a nice guy called Archer? ;)

(or more likely someone further down the line cos that's a few generations to keep the same surname)

9. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Did anyone else notice the character of Maggie Ericksson in TEW 1, engaged to a man whose surname was Walsh? Interesting reference to Buffy the Vampire Slayer there (Maggie Walsh). Not that Trek and Buffy are remotely compatible as the same universe, of course....

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't since I hadn't seen Buffy S4 at the time, but someone (Greg Cox himself?) fortunately pointed it out either here or on Psi Phi for the clueless among us. :techman:

11. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I can't deny that part of me quite enjoys the idea that Buffy is in the past of the Trek verse. But then Trek is referenced as a TV show so often on Buffy, it's awkward reconciling the situation. A shame, as for me, Maggie Walsh's cameo in The Eugenics Wars is a highlight of the books, and provides some good background on the character's relationship with the Initiative in Buffy S4.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just occurred to me that if Sam Beckett did leap into Jonathan Archer that Al would see a lot of future tech in his role as observer. That would undoubtedly have an effect on the timeline.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The science in Quantum Leap may be dodgy, but the show itself was brilliant. They don't make TV like that anymore.

There were lots of other Trek references too....like when they went back in time to the 60s, and Jack told the cops his name was James T Kirk. Or when he asked if the fighter had phasers.

And in 200 there was a parody of a bridge scene (an episode that also featured a brilliant Farscape parody).

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator