Dating Range?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 1, 2013.

?

What's your typical dating range?

1. - less than 5 years

20.3%
  2. - 5 years

34.4%
  3. - 10 years

29.7%
  4. - 15 years

3.1%
  5. - 20 years

1.6%
  6. + less than 5 years

14.1%
  7. + 5 years

25.0%
  8. + 10 years

25.0%
  9. + 15 years

10.9%
  10. + 20 years

3.1%
  11. None of the above/I like to be difficult.

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Was having a conversation about this and wondering what people typically consider for their dating range, in terms of age. Do you have mental limits or are you pretty open? I'm making separate categories for under your age (-) and over your age (+) since these can often be different numbers, so make sure to choose an option for each.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in my 40's, so I probably should not be dating anyone younger than 20.

Over? I dunno, maybe early 60's. (I do find older women attractive.)

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I prefer someone close to my age but could go slightly younger or somewhat older. I chose "+10 years", though maybe +5 would be more accurate. I've tended to date men within only a year or two of my age.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I chose "-10 to +10", I'm actually fine with any age from 18 and up, though I do want a family, and children. Since I'm 32, anything beyond "+10" would be a little bit risky in that regard.

5. Kestra

I chose less than five and then ten years older, but really I think I'd like an older guy at this point. There are of course exceptions for this range, such as my second and third husbands, Patrick Stewart and Bruce Willis.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Isn't Patrick Stewart everyone's exception?

The older you get the more fluid your range becomes and the less difference the age makes. If you have a big gap though at some point the older person's aging issues, whether in looks or life choices or health can potentially cause relationship issues. Yes I know people will say it shouldn't matter, but issues arise just like the do for other differences between people such as religion or culture.

I picked - 10 years even though it makes me bad because my biggest issue with men older than me or even my age has always been that every one of them appears to be a luddite. They listen to the same music they did when they were 20, they eschew any new trends or genres, they really are convinced that all new things life has to offer are inferior to whatever their golden era of life was (usually college).

My test would be..

Me: Do you like Lady Gaga?

Dude: It is TOTAL CRAP!!! (has never listened to it other than in the background of course)

/ GONG!! Good bye.

I can't have these luddite conversations. I don't know why but women seem to be more open to embracing a changing world, in my personal experience* anyway.

* yes this is a generalization based on my personal experience

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I am 27, and I voted that I'd date someone less than 5 years younger than me, and not more than 5 years older than me. Basically, anyone age 24-32 would be alright. Though, it does depend on what stage the 24 year old is at, because I've been through the starving student phase of my life and have no desire to relive it with someone else. I've firmly moved out of the student lifestyle and into the full time working woman category, so I'd like to be with someone that can match that or is even further along in their career.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm one of those people who believes this sort of thing can't really be measured by a number.

There are so many different criteria that are so much more important to compatibility.

I know from personal experience. The one person I've ever really felt a strong connection to was about six years older than me. It was clear to both me and others that she felt the same way but had this ridiculous rule about dating guys several years younger than her. And no matter how much I pushed she refused to break it.

That rules me out. :p

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I married someone 5 years older, so I put +5. But, to be honest, as long as they are somewhere AROUND my age, I don't care. I think having common interests and attitude is more important.

Hubby and I are both atheists, both Democrats, both sci geeks, movie buffs, mystery lovers and like board games. Neither of us drink, smoke or gamble.

Where we differ is that he is an IT guy and eats, sleeps and breathes computers, gadgets and all sorts of machines. I just surf the net. I like board games, he LIVES for board games. I LOVE animals, he tolerates them. He loves Babylon 5 and I love Blake's 7.

Being able to enjoy the same types of things is very important. I'm a fairly unattractive person, so I know he didn't fall in love with me for my looks. We have common interests and approaches. He's a little older than I am, but are experiences have been similar.

I'm not sure that someone 20 years younger than I would really have the same attitudes or frame of reference that I have; I think it would harder to find common ground. However, it's not impossible, not by any means. I just don't think it's as likely.

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I don't bother with dating anymore. However during my life my dating range has varied from someone 7 years younger than me to someone 18 years older.

A couple of my friends have had relationships with age range of 20+. As long as both people in a relationship are willing adults I don't have a problem with age difference.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I was +/-5. Much more than that and I simply didn't connect with anyone.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^If they aren't "willing" adults, that would be kidnapping, not dating. :lol:

13. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I would be a little concerned about the ages between the age of consent and adulthood, the 16 or 17 year olds. It would depend on the individual relationship in those cases.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:wah:

(actually I have never heard any of her songs. I just know I find her not at all attractive.)

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I didn't notice that it was a multiple choice poll, so I picked "-10," because that's my top preference, but in reality it would be "+/-10."

I'm not picky, though. If I can relate to you and we hit it off, I'll go outside the ten-year range, though skewing younger since I'm getting up there myself.

I think if Jurassic Park was made before you were born, or you lived through the Jurassic period, you're too young and old for me, respectively.

16. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm going with +/-5 seeing how the wife is nearly 4 1/2 years younger than I am

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She isn't that attractive, which is what makes her even more interesting. She's really into being happy with your body and not being beauty obsessed. She has started a fan community based on accepting yourself as you are, it's full of some really wonderful stories mostly from young vulnerable people. I was always kind of taken aback by how down to earth she seems in interviews.

Also, I like dress ups :lol:

18. Kestra

:lol:

And I agree with everyone saying it's a somewhat fluid thing. I recently had some interest from a 45 year old which is what raised the question in my mind.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I think she's gorgeous! Maybe it's her personality and attitude, but I also find her physically appealing. Plus, she was accepted into Juilliard and turned it down. That makes her really hot in my book.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

In the past, mostly my age to five years older. But the whole range has been from 19 years younger :devil: to 15 years older.

If I were interested in dating now, I would probably prefer from 10 years younger to my age.