Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I kind of hope that this cancellation news turns out to be somewhat misunderstood or even downright incorrect, but I just traded messages with a friend who helps run one of the domestic Star Wars collecting sites and he seems to think there's something to this. The rumors have been circulating for a while now that the Ahsoka/Jedi Temple bombing arc might be the last cluster of new episodes that would be aired, but we'll see.

Jedinews in the UK has a pretty good track record of reporting reliable stories and other sites routinely link to them, but we'll see. Who knows what the hell the suits have done or planned.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually think it might be time to panic.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere from 6-9 months out from ROTS. The Outer Rim Sieges, according to the film, kept Anakin and Obi-Wan away from Coruscant for a solid six months prior to ROTS starting. Unless Luke and Leia were dangerously premature (not likely), Padme had to be 2-3 months pregnant by the time Anakin left for the Sieges and kept it a secret from him. More than enough time to deal with the Super Maul Bros., have a massive Jedi vs. Mandalorian throwdown and sort out Asaaj's final fate.

Which is what I thought Season Six was gonna be about... :(

5. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's reached that point quite yet, but it's definitely getting high time Disney started making some serious across the franchise announcements.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh please, it's just moving to Disney XD. We already know they've been writing Season Six. And we know of three episodes they cut from airing that are in the can.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're in the can all right... the garbage can!! :lol:
    (That's a rubbish/dust bin for you Brits) ;)

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah... unless I hear otherwise, I'm thinking this was just the announcement about Cartoon Network dropping the show, misinterpreted as the show being cancelled altogether.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So how does never telling us what ultimately happened to revived Maul benefit the story?

The Super Maul Bros. are over. One is dead. ( Then again, that's what we used to think about the other one... )

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but we have a body this time.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has come up on starwars.com

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

12. Christopher

Well, I said "unless I hear otherwise," and this is pretty definitively otherwise. So they were producing new TCW episodes, but now those will be "bonus content" and they're still trying to figure out what to do with them. It sounds like they're sticking with the arc format, so maybe these could be released as direct-to-video movies, or TV-movie premieres on Disney XD or something.

As for Detours, I didn't have much interest in that, but postponing it to "a later date" -- which from the sound of it could be quite a few years from now -- doesn't seem like a very nice move. And I don't see how a parody show would hurt the prospects for the movies.

The new animated series in the "untouched" period sounds interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's set in the gap between Episodes VI and VII, as a tie-in/lead-in to the new trilogy. Although I keep thinking they should just take the scripts they've written for the live-action show (which is supposedly too hard to shoot in live action with current technology) and make them in animation.

13. cooleddie74

Detours just doesn't interest me that much to be frank. Seth Green and his coterie of writers and performers can sometimes strike comedy gold and have made many hilarious episodes of Robot Chicken over the years, but Detours doesn't strike me as a project that would be terribly entertaining or successful based on what we've heard thus far. I don't know if the concept of a weekly or recurring animated comedy series set in the SW universe would have the legs to remain viable for very long.

It sounds like an idea that would be better served as a Web series or downloadable content, but I guess only time will tell if this idea will ever fly.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well...I take back what I said in the other thread now, this is disappointing news indeed. What a way to go out though as others said. "Detours" looked fun, but it didn't really capture me in any way more than that. As House of UIster I think mentioned before, the series was supposed to originally go five series or 100 episodes. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Might it be that we see these arcs explored another way? In comic book form etc?

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As reported in the other thread (maybe we need both of these to be merged now?) it seems it's not ending...but "winding down" as reported before moving to Disney XD and next season will be the final season. Dave Filoni posted a tease of next season in the other thread.

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Filoni and Co. are still actively producing TCW-related content, which should be enough to let people know that the series hasn't actually been cancelled; its time as an actively televised series has come to an end, but just as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and ANGEL continued on in different formats, so too will TCW. We're going to get a conclusion to the series; it just won't be in the form of a weekly aired cartoon.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't say I'm sorry to see the parody series pushed into the future--but I wouldn't have watched it so it wouldn't have bothered me either way. I wonder if somebody at Disney put the brakes on that. Hard to see Star Wars being over-commercialized more than it already is but maybe there's a concern for 'appropriate' use of the characters. (cue the jar-jar shampoo bottle commercial)

19. Christopher

Shouldn't a Jar-Jar product be, well, in a jar?

20. cooleddie74

Jar Jar Jams and JIF?

Don't give them any ideas.