the Star Wars Expanded universe

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by safarial, Feb 25, 2013.

1. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What effect do you think the new movies will have on it?
    Will it be enhanced, improved, ignored, or destroyed, or will it become a Star Wars AU?

2. safarial

I heard a radio interview woth Harrison ford where he said that he'll only come back if Peter returns as Chewbacca, he was pissed that the books killed him off.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

..... is dead.

4. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully destroyed. The Heir to the Empire books were good, but some of the ones after that were horrid. I don't know how Kevin J. Anderson got awards for them.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised that Harrison Ford would have any idea what had transpired in the EU. Frankly, I don't think the producers and writers of the next films will care too much about the EU unless they're serious fanboys themselves. Why should they let twenty years of in-depth backstory prevent them from telling the stories they want to tell? It all comes down to money - the films will make orders of magnitude more money than the books and comics do, so no one is going to let the EU stop them in their run to the bank.

As a Star Wars fan from near the beginning (I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theaters during its first run as a small child), I like the films, but the EU is so much bigger than the films that they would actually turn me off the new films. There's just too much baggage attached to the EU to film it and expect general audiences to follow the story without a pamphlet and instructional video to review prior to the film.

I fully expect the EU to be trashed by the new films.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the Expanded Universe will adapt to the new movies. Stuff set long before or after the movies--like Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy--may be unaffected, but stuff featuring Luke, Han & Leia, (and their kids) after Episode VI will definitely be rebooted, IMO.

7. safarial

legacy may be affected if Luke either has a different wife, no wife, or if Han and Leia have a completely different family. .

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

For the most part, ignored. Perhaps some ideas will be lifted here and there. But, ignored.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The majority of pre ROTJ novels will probably be OK, but most of the later stuff will be trashed. If they're clever they could 'pull a JJ' and wrap up the last novel with an almighty reset to the death of the Emperor and soft boot the whole thing whilst leaving the dumped continuity as another timeline/loop.

Doubt they will bother though.

10. sojourner

Has the EU ever done time travel or alternate realities? Not "what ifs", but actual Trek "mirror, mirror" type alternates.

11. safarial

The sequel trilogy may see the birth of the first St Wars Multiverse, like Marvel Star Tek, and DC, they might not have a choice.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not going to happen.

13. sojourner

If by "multiverse" you mean the Eu is ignored, sure, it'll happen.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that could happen, sure. :techman:

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

:)

16. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I heard there were some stories called "Star Wars Infinities" where the original trilogy stories were altered - like, what if Luke died on Hoth and Han tried to take the Jedi training, or what if Vader survived the duel on the second Death Star and went back to the good guys (imagine Vader in stark white armor instead of black). They're not in "continuity", though, just "what if" stories.

I don't foresee the new movies being weighed down by books and comic backstories, though, and since SW is more space opera fantasy than Star Trek, I don't think there are any avenues for allowing the alternative universe type of out that ST 2009 took.

17. sojourner

Yep, that would apply to the "not 'what ifs'" part of my post.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the EU is totally contradicted in a way that the it can't merge around (like Boba Fett's original back story) then at least we can take all the original EU (including the original Clone Wars continuity) and separate it from the Sequel Trilogy and The Clone Wars. So at the very least we can say the Clone Wars continuity flubs are no longer an issue.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As a huge fan of the Star Wars EU, I'm totally fine with them completely disregarding it. We've had twenty years of that continuity, and it'd be interesting to see a different take on the post ROTJ timeline, knowing what we know from the Prequels.

20. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I hope the expanded universe gets comlpetely tossed out the window. I believe 90% of it is total garbage, especially the Zahn books, so I want it gone. Dead dead dead...