What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I found Witcher 1 very annoying due to the combat. It's quite a difficult game when starting off. It's kind of unconventional that way, because if you're not careful, you can absolutely get your ass kicked.
    It's the way the game crowds you out with enemies from all sides interrupting your strikes which makes it so difficult.
    For me, it only started getting easier about halfway through the game. Combat flows better and becomes easier when you get more skills and combat moves.
    I actually found Witcher 2 much easier once they went to more of a realtime combat system rather than one based on timings.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How different are the first two Witcher games from the third? I'm loving 3, but it's my only experience with the franchise so far. I wasn't sure about the other two games, but I do at least plan on checking out the books, comics, and Netflix show once it starts.

3. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally quit Breath of the Wild after 100 hours. I bought Horizon Zero Dawn to play and have start it... and it's making me want to play Zelda again :sigh: I guess I should have stuck to the plan and played Horizon first.

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bearing in mind I'm not that far in to two yet, but combat/gameplay in the second is similar. As I'm still fairly close to the beginning, I'm not sure if it gets as open world as 3 yet.

For the first, it felt much slower to the point I've yet to actually hit anyone.

(I have some of the novels, seen a bit of the original show and want to check out the netflix show when it comes)

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on PS3, and its very fun. Slicing bad guys up with Raiden is great, and the story is pretty good. I'm a fan of the Metal Gear series, but MGS V had a story so bad it made me not want to finish it, even though the actual gameplay was fun. MG Rising has unique gameplay and a story that feels like it fits in the MG universe. I like how Raiden is a badass cyborg, but personality wise he has moments where he's still the doofus from Metal Gear Solid 2. It works well, and goes with the fun action gameplay

I've also started South Park: The Stick of Truth. I beat it once the year it came out and enjoyed it, but I haven't replayed it before. Its as good as it was last time, and I'm really enjoying it. Its really the first licensed game that feels like I'm legitimately playing an episode/arc of the series.

6. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched a playthrough of 1 and played the second one twice (there's a major choice 1/3 of the way into the game that basically completely changes the second and third part, so I went through both paths). The major difference is that combat is more sluggish and you have to drink potions while meditating, so you have to prepare for fights without necessarily knowing what's coming. You're in a few different areas that you can explore fairly extensively, that become linear once you reach certain milestones in the main quest.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I might have to check out some videos of the first two then, I much prefer faster paced combat. I have played some of the Final Fantasy games, so I'm OK with turned based stuff, but if it's not turn based then I'd prefer it be something like Assassin's Creed or even W3.

8. Owain Taggart

I found the combat in Witcher 2 much more fluid, and therefore much easier. And the structure of the game is much more linear, but more of a focused experience compared to the first one. I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, but I don't think it's really anything like the first two games as the open-world was a first for the franchise.

What I'm playing right now: The Saboteur. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this game until recently. I saw it on sale on GOG and it sounded interesting. Basically a stealth-focused GTA set in 1940's Paris. Loving it so far.

9. John Clark

I was looking at The Saboteur last night too. I have been thinking about it, but I typically suck at stealth games.

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed The Saboteur when I played it back in 2010.

SPCTRE likes this.
  11. Owain Taggart

I suck at stealth games too! But I'm still having tons of fun with it. You can go guns blazing all you want without many repercussions. In fact, there are many situations where it's hard to keep being stealthy due to so many soldiers being around and noticing you easily.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Like in the first Dishonored......... It's hard not to be noticed sometimes, especially if you suck at stealthy games.

Plus I hated that the game wasn't that forgiving of kills. But it was fun.

Just a pity Dis 2 sucks and has engine problems.

13. Owain Taggart

Yeah, plus I find the game gives you plenty of different opportunities to achieve your objective. Sometimes it just so happens that being stealthy is not the best way to do it. But sometimes it can really pay off. For example, one mission has you destroying fuel trucks. The game shows you that there's a weapon emplacement at the top of a building. Climbing it, you find that there's one guy there that you can easily shoot with your silenced pistol (which is one of my favourite weapons) and then take over the emplacement to destroy those trucks, and the mission is over easily enough.

But then, there are missions where the game likes sending you to bases crawling with officers to blow stuff up, and in this case, you really can't avoid going all rambo at times, as the game almost expects you to at this point. But I do love shooting the ones with the flamethrowers and watching them go boom :D

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Tales from the Borderlands (PS4)

A story-heavy game with an emphasis on actual, snappy comedy and sharp writing in the Borderlands universe should not work, yet somehow it does. Amazingly well.

My favorite Telltale game since TWD S1. Heck, probably my favorite Telltale game, period.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah Tales from the Borderlands is also my favourite Telltale game ever. I really hope they do a second season.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't planned on playing any more Assassin's Creed for a while after finishing Black Flag, but I found Syndicate at Wal-Mart on "rollback" to $15.84 and I couldn't pass it up at that price. Since I had it, I went ahead and started it yesterday, and played a bit this morning too.
    So far I'm having a blast, but I am getting a little annoyed that I seem to be running to enemies practically every corner I turn. The combat is fun, but it is annoying when I'm just trying to get to my next mission and keep getting attacked. I did steal myself a carriage, so that has helped some.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

On a whim I decided to reinstall Saints Row 4. Forgot what a fun time sink it could be!
    Although, for some reason the premise of a celebrity sociopath becoming the President of the United States just doesn't feel as novel or outlandish a concept as it once did. Strange that...

18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ That's kinda how it feels when I'm watching House of Cards. ;)

19. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

What you mean Johnny Gat isn't like Trump?

20. John Clark

The only trouble with Saints Row 4 for me is that I kind of get distracted from following the missions and just cause mayhem instead:hugegrin:

I'm going to give Medal of Honor (2010) a go.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.