Madonna overtakes Beatles as most played artist in Britain

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dusty Ayres, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised Queen are only 4th on that list, i'd have expected them to be no.1 in the UK to be honest.

The fact that Robbie fuckin Williams gets more airplay than Queen is both disgusting and depressing.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

The fact that Madonna still gets that much airplay is fairly depressing.

4. DrEvil

DrEvil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's probably an honorary award because she tries to talk with that fake British accent nowadays. Isn't she from Michigan originally not Liverpool?

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I find this fact very depressing indeed. Freaking Madonna?

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Like it as not, she has fans, many of them in the gay community. Also, she's been singing as long as the Beatles have, maybe even longer. Plus, dance music is very popular in England, unlike here in North America.

And she's friends with Paul McCartney! So there.:p;):):lol::guffaw:

7. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

8. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Tough shit, Nardpuncher: Brits aren't expected to be all Beatlefans for most of their lives, you know. There is other music in Britain to listen to, and most people listen to it; that music is dance music (disco, house, acid house, techno, electronica, etc.) It's to be expected in a country that has no 'classic rock' radio stations blaring 24-7/365, and Madonna is one of the most popular artists that does dance music.

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dear internet,
    Absolutely disgusting. Oh, and I don't know anybody who actually likes dance music. In fact, most people I know would rather listen to a million nails scraping a million chalkboards than 99% of electronic music.

Sincerely, a British "Beatlefan" for life (who would very much like for there to be several 'classic rock' radios stations blaring 24/7)
    P.S: Madonna sucks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  10. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I'm not actually against Madonna because of the style of music she does, or for the concept or image she projects. But I've never been too impressed with most of her actual musical output, and very few of her songs are classics in my eyes.

I would say she's more "pop" than dance overall though, even if she does incorporate various dance styles into her music.

11. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

You're weird.

12. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's so unimportant. There are far more radio stations now than in the sixties and since the Beatles are no longer recording new material and She it is not that suprising. Most stations play current chart music. She won't be most played 40 years after she stops recording and what is more on that day she will have dropped back behind the Beatles because at the the end of the day their music will shine longer than her's.

13. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Pah.

To hell with this.

14. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Like I said, to you, Madonna and most dance music sucks; to the rest of Britain (and Europe), it doesn't. There are a lot more people listening to dance than you would think, obviously due to the number of stations that play dance music in London and other cities. Not everybody wants to live stuck in the past like you, and this heterosexual North American fan of both the Beatles and Madonna is glad that the Material Girl has trumped the Fab Four, and also that there are no oldies stations stinking up the airwaves with Classic Rot in Britain. Would that North American could only be as open to new music as their British & European cousins are.

Besides, you can always get your Beatles fix at HMV or Virgin whenever there's a sale.

Not bloody likely. I'll bet that Lady Gaga will be the one they go 'gaga' for in the future, or some other new artist, vis a vis the classic status the Beatles now have; by then, Classic Rock will have died off due to the death of the 50's, 60's, and 70's generations that nurtured it, and any radio that exists will be playing new artists like they used to back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, with occasional flashbacks to the past.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I am? Go to England and see for yourself, then.

16. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most people who listen to music aren't really music fans (so their opinions on music don't really count), they just want something to dance to or have on in the background because they're afraid of silence. Modern/dance music is good for this because it has all the substance and musicality of actual background noise, while most classic rock is too dynamic to provide an adequate simulation of real background noise.

17. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

You've been assuming too much about people here according to their dislike of Madonna. I grew up in Margate.

Taking the fact that many people are tired of Madonna the way you do is weird because you should be used to it by now.

18. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Strange, I thought that due to her status as one of the artists of the '80's and of also having been around for a while, she'd be revered.:vulcan:

19. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Well, I bought that new 2 CD collection for my girlfriend if that helps.

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So moving to England and faking an accent was all part of her plan to unseat the Beatles.

Crafty wench.

BTW the worst thing about that list is that Coldplay is on it and U2 is not.

I also had to google "Take That" because I honestly had no idea what that was.