Star Ship AJAX Production

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by JimTheBuilder, Dec 18, 2011.

1. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

:techman::bolian:

I agree, very well done!

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Very nice!

3. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

4. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Yeah, I added a link to that rehearsal footage from your dedicated paragraph at Star Trek Reviewed. I thought anyone monitoring you from my website would enjoy that.

6. J.C. England

THANK YOU, Barbara! Very much appreciated!
    (Many more, much better things to come from us)

7. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey guys. Great work and thanks for providing a glimpse into Starship Ajax. And my compliments on restoring the Exter bridge! It's looking great so far and it's really nice to see it coming to life once again.

One mild criticism though: the exchange between the helmsman and Captain in which the helmsman says "May I remind the Captain that the landing party is expendable at this point!" seemed way off the mark to me. I felt it bordered on insubordinate to the point where the guy should have been relieved and sent to his quarters. I have no military experience, but I can't imagine speaking to my boss - let alone my commanding officer - in such a tone. It didn't strike me as believable either. He may not personally know the members of the landing party, but to pipe up and let everyone know how little he values their lives just seemed...off. Definitely not the type of officer I would want to serve with. Lastly, dialogue like "not on my watch" just screams fan film to me. I'm not sure what the writer's motivation for including that line is, but I believe the audience will base their view of the characters more on the characters actions than on their words. We don't need dialogue to tell us that the Captain is an honorable guy because we will see that in how he commands. I realize it's a work in progress and the actors are just getting to know their characters at this point. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Nitpicking aside, kudos to everyone involved and I'm excited to see more!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. Phantassm

9. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I felt the same way. The Helmsman was too quick to dismiss the lives of his fellow crewmates just to save his own skin. That's the way it appeared to me.

Of course, that could be by design, maybe the writers were trying to convey the notion that the crew of the Saladin class ships weren't "Constitution class" material just yet. Some of them were young, inexperienced with faults that would change over time, eventually molding them into better officers. Some may make it, some won't. I guess it would be sort of a weeding out process, where those that proved themselves would get re-assigned to Constitution class ships and those that didn't make it would end up pulling cargo duty.

I would compare the Helmsman of the Ajax to Bailey from the TOS episode "Corbomite Maneuver" - he clearly wasn't ready to be a bridge officer so Kirk suggested he spend time on the Fesarius, with the hope that Bailey would learn from that experience and become a better officer.

10. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

:bolian:
    Great job, thanks for posting.

11. Moby

Moby Cadet Newbie

Updated my blog with all the new stuff. Added links to the forum (here, trekbbs), homepage, Facebook, and such to the sidebar.

You guys and gals are doing an excellent job and the project really seems to be picking up speed. And the videos your posting Michael are fantastic. Anything I can do just let me know.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. Phantassm

Thank you very much. We all appreciate your coverage.

13. J.C. England

Thank you, Moby!

14. Moby

Moby Cadet Newbie

Absolutely. You guys and gals are doing the hard part. I was genuinely surprised just how far along you all have brought this thing just in the short time I've even been aware of it.

Again, just hope I can do more. :techman:

15. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

I want one of those models!

Alec

16. J.C. England

17. J.C. England

18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Those kinds of errors are just something you have to live with. When we invite the media into our productions, we have to remember they bring their own agendas, misconceptions and shortcomings. The bottom line for you is that I think the articles will be helpful in spreading the word locally and the errors in the story (which I didn't catch) while regrettable, shouldn't do any real harm. When it comes to press coverage we sometimes have to take the good with the bad and it looks to me like there's a lot more "good" here than "bad". Keep going!

19. J.C. England

20. Phantassm