Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 28, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thing is, going back to the OP, Fantastic Journey, Man from Atlantis and Invisible Man all got run on UK TV, and Fantastic Journey ran about three times on the BBC (mostly in the mornings during school holidays). So I'd guess that anyone in the UK of about 40 to 45 with any sort of childhood interest in SF probably remembers that a lot better than many of the non-hit SF series of the last 20-odd years. Even though they'd be hard pressed to name any of the characters ("There was the guy from the future, the sneaky treacherous doctor, the girl from Atlantis who had a cat but kept on disappearing from one episode to another... oh, and the kid. The one who got killed in that Trek film. the really good one.")

Oh, and Christopher: adding another couple of British kids SF series to your multi-season list - Into the Labyrinth (included episodes by Robert Holmes, Bob Baker and Christopher Priest) and The Tomorrow People.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another one I forgot.

Speaking of vampires, Werewolf on USA, with John J. York and the recurring Chuck Connors.

Both were gone in a flash.

Which reminds me, The Flash.

3. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Dirk Gently - All three episodes as well as the pilot.

L5 - Still waiting for the second episode.

Pioneer One - "A Cold War relic returns amid fears of terrorism but turns out to be a forgotten Soviet space mission. What it brings back will have implications for the entire world."

The Strangerers - Hilarious Rob Grant-series:

Zenith - "A retro-futuristic steam-punk thriller, about two men in two time periods, whose search for the same grand conspiracy leads them to question their own humanity. "

Voyagers! - I watched that with my younger sister (who was a bit too old to be in the target audience).

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no idea what happened to my head there. Especially Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Hulk and WW...they must have been in my Dead Zone.

5. Dale Sams

The Immortal

We could morph this into Pilots and TV Movies of the Week too

"The Love War"
    "The People" (Hi Bill!)
    "The Horror at 37,000 Feet" (ditto)
    "A Cold Night's Death"

Help me out here...I was thinking of a Glenn Corbett movie where he winds up on an Earth on the exact opposite of the sun...there everyone's organs on on the other side of their bodies. He tries to get back, and is killed. I may be conflating movies.

It sounds a lot like the synopsis of "The Stranger"...but now my head is picturing Roy Thinnes so I'll look into that. Ah, it was "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" and his character was named Glenn. Damn, that was a good movie.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved Journeyman too. It filled some of the whole left by Quantum Leap--my favorite laugh was when he landed on a plane in the seventies.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If we're talking about SF pilots we remember, I still have a tape of a pilot called Project: Tin Man with Catherine Mary Stewart. It was a pretty similar idea to Roddenberry's The Questor Tapes, or maybe Short Circuit -- prototype military android develops emotions and conscience, goes on run from military, sets up Fugitive-type scenario. Sounds lame and formulaic, but I remember it being pretty good.

8. theenglish

Did anybody mention The Powers of Matthew Star or The Misfits of Science?

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Mann and Machine.

10. theenglish

Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Cliffhangers.

12. trekkiedane

Or Doppelgänger as the original title is, but how could you forget a Jerry Anderson production? -That's what I want to know!

13. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Earth: Final Conflict. All 5 seasons. In 2001, I felt I couldn't endure two horrendously bad seasons of sci-fi shows and had to choose between X-Files and Earth: Final Conflict. I felt EFC Season 5 would have been less bad.
    (Anyone watch both X-Files Season 9 & Earth Final Conflict Season 5 back in 01-02? There should be some kind of medal for that. I'd like to hear opinions on which was worse)

Conan the Barbarian. The live-action tv show. Saw the 1992-94 cartoon series too (the syndicated one. Never saw the CBS one). That was a great, highly underrated cartoon. Best fantasy genre cartoon that side of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The live-action series was BAD. Liked the midget from Seinfeld though.

Brimstone. Great show. Probably the one-season show I wished most wasn't cancelled.

The Adventures of Sinbad. Seems like no one remembers it. Really liked the cast. Maeve > Bryn, though having seen Bryn's IMDB pics, she's gotten better with age.

Cleopatra 2525. Jennifer Sky was eye-catching in that outfit, but the series wasn't worth losing Amarice in Xena as the new sidekick. With her on the show as originally intended, maybe they wouldn't have needed so many comedies to cover for the action-limited Xena: Pregnant Princess, which would have averted several of the worst episodes in the series.

The Jack of All Trades.

The Outer Limits (II). On Showtime. Even to 2000. And then on Sci-Fi Channel. How many subscribed back to Showtime then to see Stargate SG-1, The Outer Limits, and The Legacy?

Poltergeist: The Legacy. On Showtime & Sci-Fi Channel.

Woops. Famously bad nuclear apocalypse sitcom on Fox.

Roar. Starred Heath Ledger before anybody had ever heard of him.

Timecop. On ABC.

Nowhere Man. Good UPN mystery/thriller.

The Burning Zone.

Harsh Realm.

Dark Skies. Forgotten original companion series to The Pretender & Profiler on NBC Saturday nights. X-Files-esque conspiracy series intended to last 5 years set in a different decade each season from the 1960s- 2000s.

Sleepwalkers. Yes, I actually saw the only 2 episodes it aired nationally before being yanked.

Deadly Games. Man fights bosses from a video game he created, all of whom were based on people he hated. The main villain was Christopher Lloyd.

And, not sci-fi, but The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer, considered the worst series ever made by UPN.

I didn't watch First Wave, Tremor: The Series, Black Scorpion, The Lone Gunmen, Freakylinks, 7 Days, Prey, Dinotopia, Highlander: The Raven, or Tracker though.

14. diankra

I like it already! :-)

15. Dale Sams

Re: The 90's Outer Limits...I only saw the one with Wil Wheaton, but remember it as being quite good.

16. diankra

A great pity that got cancelled: I believe it went in part because it was an entirely bought-in show, whereas Pretender and Profiler were both made by NBC subsidiaries.

It's a great pity Dark Skies didn't get its five year run, as the plan was that about halfway through season four, in December 1999, the series's 'setting' would overtake reality (IYSWIM), with an episode set on New Years Eve 1999 where the whole conspiracy angle would be exposed to the world.
    The remaining season and a half would have then carried on from 2000 through to 2013.. as already seen in flash forwards in the one season we did get.

17. trekkiedane

They didn't conflict around here (but then, we usually got the episodes a few years later anyway :sigh: ) so I was able to follow both, which I did. Don't remember a lot of X-Files last season though...

Not at all forgotten! -Loved it (despite the horrendous visual effects) and would have been hanging on...

War of the Worlds - "Humanity must resume its war against the Martians after they revive after decades of hibernation after their defeat in the 1950's." -I never cared enough to watch it all.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have that whole series on VHS. I keep meaning to transfer it to DVD.

Didn't care for it. It would've made a great miniseries or movie, but as a weekly ongoing series, it just didn't work. It was trying to do a paranoid thing like The Prisoner, but out in the real world Fugitive-style, with the lead on the run and moving from place to place -- so it pretty much required 99% of the population of the United States to be participating in the sooper-seekrit conspiracy against this one guy. Not to mention that the lead's paranoia always failed him at just the right moments to get him into trouble.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Cynthia Gibb was in that. And Leonard Nimoy executive-produced it.

The first time around, I kind of liked the first season of that, mainly because of the cast and their good chemistry, though the second season was atrocious. But recently I rewatched the first season on DVD -- and it was mostly awful. I reviewed it on my blog if anyone's interested.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That was a pretty popular series, well rated for cable and got a lot of awards and accolades, didnt feel forgotten to me really.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I saw Project:Tin Man...did you see The Bakery?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136605/