How Do You Define Success In Life?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I bolded the statement you made, which I think is the most basic definition of success. Most people equate success with financial gain, status, a good relationship, etc., i.e., those are the objectives that people strive to achieve. But since not everyone shares the same objectives, who's to say one is either successful or a failure at what he/she does? My boss always says, "I want people to be successful," which I take to be a well-meaning statement. On the other hand, that's a very presumptuous remark. What makes him think his employees aren't already successful at what they're doing? If they're working hard and getting the work done, then I consider that success.

As far as health goes, it's a predisposed factor and should not be counted as either success or failure. There are, however, healthful objectives that can be achieved through personal discipline.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I was to define a successful life, it would be the fact that I am the father of three children who grew up without unwanted pregnancies, no criminal record, and just great people. They all attend or attended college, and are working in their chosen fields.

I feel I was a success as a parent, because my children have a better life at their age than I did at the same age.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry for bumping up this thread

In regards to money, somebody pointed out earlier that money doesn't buy happiness, and someone countered that whoever said that doesn't have to worry about their finances to begin with. I'm paraphrasing here.

I think that money does make people happy, especially if there's an abundance of it. I am by no means a wealthy person, but I'm generally happier, more secure and confident when I know I have more than enough to cover my basic expenses as well as have a little something on the side. And I don't have an extravagant lifestyle.

So now I believe I understand why others might equate success with financial gain or freedom because it gives them peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment. And if success is synonymous with happiness, then they are successful in that regard.

4. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

HowDo You Define Success In Life? I know my failures but I'm never sure I truly own my success.

It isn’t about money but I can understand that if you’re needs aren’t met or not personally satisfactorily, then your focus would be financial.

"It's about self-fulfillment and self-enrichment, but as content as I am with the way things are, I find myself wanting more.” Me too but I just don’t know how to get there.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Money isn't valuable in itself--but it opens up options.

It's all about opening up possibilities.

People who have a great skill set about making money may not be the best ones to hold on to it. This is why we all dream of the lottery, so that we don't have to be some type A dirtbag. He would focus on making more.

I would spend to money, say, helping folks with their garage kits, people with an interest in wooden sailing vessels, art, having my own private library, giving it away to family and friends, etc.

Type A doesn't think like that, because he really isn't human..

6. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Success in life is really easy to achieve. We write the rules, we create the 'win' state, we play the game - how can we lose? You would have to set out to lose on purpose by making some insanely silly win state like 'I will succeed when I build a working time machine'.

The tricky part is holding on to the knowledge that we create our own rules. There are lots of other people out there trying to sell the belief that their rules should be our rules. Personally, I don't need a flash new car or big TV or other piece of property to feel like a success. But geez there are so many credit providers who would have me believe otherwise.