The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, someone caught that for me. I just didn't edit the OP.

I'm surprised by how much I'm liking Darryl, but then didnt he mention that his brother was dumber?

Oh, I'm a "her." The symbol's by my name.

2. propita

Yup!
    Tablet VI, column iii, lines 99-100 of my translation: "and I will make the dead rise, and they will devour the living, / and the dead will increase beyond the number of the living."

Sounds like zombies to me!

So if vampires are about sex, is the current popularity of zombies reflecting the insecurities of society and the seeming loss of control?

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Wow, saw it, and it was intense.

Sorry, but, I gotta say I'm sure Shane knew exactly what he was doing shooting Otis in the leg, rather than killing him, IMHO, it was very obvious.

Andrea, please continue outta the dark side next week, I love ya, but, you were getting on my nerves the last couple of episodes

Shane - not sure I'd call it guilt? He seems pretty Sociopathic to me, I think he's more worried about being exposed or "caught" then he is sorry about the things he does. Lori, he wanted to continue it, and get away with it, Otis he shaves his head to hide the patch ripped out, instead of explaining it away.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

On my screen the symbol is way below your name.

5. propita

I know what it's like to use a small screen. No problem. Always enjoying your posts!

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

24 inches is small? I feel so emasculated now.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Bloody Hell, I hope not. The humanity of the characters is what makes the show great.

Actually, I don't think so. Eventually that rope is going to break and you'll have another crawler on the loose.

The History Channel special draws a parallel to terrorism. Apparently, more than half the zombie apocalypse movies ever made have come after the terrorist attacks of 2001.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? Dale is the one that gets on my nerves. I comletely sympathize with her dilemma. Who would want to live in a world populated by zombies that's gone to shit and opting out at the CDC would be a logical choice for many.

Dale's paternalism towards her I would find as annoying as she does. It's like shut the fuck up and worry about yourself instead of me.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Good to know they're featuring some intelligent content. That channel has about as much history nowadays as Syfy has science. :rolleyes:

10. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

This season got off to a slow start, but this episode more than made up for it. Now if they can just find a way to get Shane to shoot Lori this show will be perfect.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

You could say the same thing about superhero movies. And I'm sure someone could explain how that is also connected to terrorism. Maybe there's a connection but I wonder sometimes if a cigar is just a cigar.

12. propita

OOPS! I thought you were working on a small screen that doesn’t show the whole webpage or something. I had a little 13” Dell that was like that. Won’t even discuss the shitty netbook I had. Doorstop.

I figured vamps were kinda fading (no pun intended), except for mostly teens. Zombies, meanwhile, seem to be proliferating (pun intended). Instability of society and all that.

13. Sindatur

Zombies are representative of those feeling entitled to "Entitlements" ;)

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

We... are... entitled... to... BRAINS!!!!

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Darryl should have known just walking away was irresponsible.

And if Suicide Poet managed to climb up the tree to tie the rope around a branch while suffering zombie flu, Darryl could have scampered up to cut the rope and retrieve that arrow. Considering how infrequently these people come across sporting goods stores, they shouldn't be cavalier about ammo.

PS, on the topic of gunshots being a zombie dinner bell: how easy would it be to get your hands on a silencer?

I was amazed at how much historical content they included, stuff about the fall of Rome and Ghengis Khan and zombie myths in ancient China, Arabia and Scandinavia. Maybe they should do more zombie documentaries. ;)

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I disagree, I think it's the dire circumstances and uncertainty of survival that makes the show great. Besides, humanity is overrated when the vast majority of people on the planet are trying to eat you.

Crawlers are much more manageable, and it's not like they're going to stick around long enough for the rope to break.

17. Sindatur

Temis, good point about silencers. All the times we've been shown (as you so eloquently put it) that a gun shot is a "Zombie Dinner Bell", I've asked myself several times, why they haven't obtained silencers.

Definitely time for them to raid a Gun shop

18. Temis the Vorta

That is the one explanation that fits everything he's done. Not evil, not stupid but weak. I also think he's self-hating. Now that I know he and Rick are childhood buddies, and Shane presumably was "the wild one," that raises the question of why he'd be friends with Rick in particular, and follow him into a career in law enforcement (which seems a natural fit for Rick, but not really for Shane).

I think Shane has latched onto Rick as someone who makes him feel better about himself. Shane was the bad one and Rick was the good one. Rick is more even tempered, and seems a bit smarter and more cultured. Shane trying to take over Rick's family when he thought Rick was dead was simply the next step in that process: becoming Rick. And that need hasn't abated - he was saving Carl because that's what Carl's "dad" would do.

And I don't think Shane would have shot Rick, in retrospect. Shane is an emotional lamprey who needs people like Rick, Lori and Carl in his life to bolster his shaky self-esteem. He has little self-awareness of any of this, and just operates on instinct, which makes him unstable and dangerous.

It's interesting to contrast Shane with Darryl. They're both the good-old-boy/redneck stereotype, but Darryl seems to have come through his deprived childhood with a strong sense of self-worth, maybe because he had no adult supervision at all.

I hope they throw Shane and Darryl together into a situation. Shane would probably despise Darryl as representing everything he hates in himself, and Darryl would be savvy enough to see right through Shane to the quivering weakling at his core.

19. Sindatur

Oh, and also, the next time they go into town, they need to stop by a Motor Home Lot and trade up that rickety antique of Dale's, LOL.

20. Temis the Vorta

If so, it wasn't a very smart calculation. He had very little time to get the pack off Otis' back, and with Otis fighting back, he might not have made it before the zombies got them both. What if Otis had latched onto his arm and not his hair? Better to speed up the process and count on even a dead Otis to be enough of a distraction.

I would have shot Otis through the head and not because I'm nice. :rommie:
    I bought it, just as I bought Andrea's reasons for not wanting to go on living. It's a tossup whether these people are all just being stupid, prolonging the inevitable.

Personally, I'd be one of the people who wants to go on living, but that's only if I could hit up a sporting goods store for a crossbow and take my ire out on the zombies. That would keep me motivated for a while.