Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

There is more than enough stuff in that leaked fake script that seems to jive with what we see in the trailer. It may not be completely accurate, but I suspect it's closer than we think. And it smells exactly like the stuff the Lost factory churns out.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The film Alien followed the rules of a true thriller. Aside from one shocking scene, which the cast aside from John Hurt were not prepared for, most of the horror was off-screen. This makes it more scary than on-screen. It was a classic suspense film. Many people want action from the start because that's what films do nowadays. Personally I like the slow burn, and since Alien is considered an all time classic, that would be the majority view.

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

All this Alien talk makes me want to watch the movie again. I thinks I wills!

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I wasn't really concerned with getting a bunch of people on my side or anything. I understand that it's a classic film and that my opinion is probably in the minority, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

Horror movies have never done much for me in the first place. For one, they don't scare me. Ever. I was never held in any kind of suspense. I have no problem with slow movies, but "Alien" is one that just hasn't grown well on me. Every time I watch it I find new things to criticize, and I like it less. The sequel "Aliens," on the other hand, I find new things to love about it every time.

5. Deckerd

Not sure what you're arguing about. Are you saying you must have the last word? I can play that for days.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

We were never having an argument. I'm just explaining my opinion.

7. Deckerd

Shall I rehash mine too?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Only if you insist on being a dick.

9. Deckerd

Okay. I personally don't like Alien because it's too scary. However I can recognise a work of art for what it is. I have the wit to know that just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with it.

10. Saul

Just finished watching Alien. Haven't seen it in a few years. Wow... What a great movie. Not that it needs repeating. But damn it's good. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Prometheus must be linked to this in some way. Considering that the Space Jockey and his ship are in it and we see the Space Jockey ship crash. These films look to be linked closely. One thing I don't get though is that in a recent interview Scott said that the Space Jockey was some kind of suit but here in Alien it's skeletal remains and something HAS burst out from it's chest.

11. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just wonder how those pieces fit together. The Space Jockey's chair seemed empty in that trailer and in that light the guy to its right looks like he's wearing an Giger-style biomechanoid suit (like an advanced version of the exoskeletons we're developing today).

As for Scott's comment on questioning the motives behind that ship, I always assumed it to be a weapons transport which went wrong. Some of the cargo escaped, killed the crew, end of story.

12. Saul

But it's the same ship in the Trailer. Same design as the one in Alien so obviously we are seeing that story of what happened to that ship or at least part of the story is that.

The Prometheus script was originally an Alien prequel film about their origins and Homeworld until Scott came onto the project and supposedly changed it but hinted that it "has strands of Alien DNA so to speak".

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least it's the same type. Most modern warships of a common class will look the same as well unless you know what to look for. And since it's a recreation of a movie design from many moons ago it's almost impossible to rely on similarities and/or differences.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I never noticed it until now, but as large as that ship appears to be from the outside, it STILL doesn't seem nearly big enough to contain those immense, gigantic rooms we see inside (either the Space Jockey room or that even larger egg room underneath it).

There was definitely a bit of creative license when they designed that thing.

And even in the trailer for the new movie, it seems a tad smaller than it should be.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's a TARDIS.

Or built on the ground in Iowa.

16. Saul

True but it does visually tie closely to what we saw in Alien, and since we see a Ship wreck and a Space Jockey in Alien and then see a Jockey Chair and a very similar ship that crashes in the trailer and not to mention the strange looking canisters that resemble Alien eggs I am willing to wager a modest bet that there is a connection.

17. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That has nothing to do with the film not aging well, it has nothing to do with the film being slow, and it has nothing to do with working that well "anymore." It still works as well as it ever did, the problem is in the attention deficits of modern viewers.

18. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

That's true. I had a friend recently watch Star Wars and complain that it was too slow. If anything, I hate the ridiculous fast pace of modern action films.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to mention those who find ANH slow.

20. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

As someone who has only seen Alien for the first time recently, I loved the slow, drawn out pace of the film. The atmosphere that Scott had set kept me enthralled and allowed his visual flair, storytelling and the characterisation to fully flourish. Films like this are simply not made any more. It's a damn shame. I doubt Prometheus will share its style nor its pace, however i do have high hopes that it will at least reach the same heights in regards to telling an engrossing, entertaining story.