Who created M'Ress?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Redfern, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thread header is pretty much to the point. Can one or two specific people be credited as having created M'Ress for the animated series, and if so, whom? Can Gene Roddenberry legitimately assume the honors this time (or "take the blame" if you dislike the character), or was it one or more of the other noted people developing the project like DC Fontana or David Gerrold? Was it director Hal Sutherland or maybe the front runners of Filmation, Lou Scheimer or Norm Prescott?

Also, was she intended to be anything beyond a token alien? If more episodes had been produced, was anything akin to a M'Ress focused story considered? Yes, I know of the "biography" offered through "Lincoln Enterprises", but was that actually developed during the course of the series, or was that merely an "afterthought", written well after the cancellation of the series, something that could be sold through the Roddenberry's memorabilia service? If the latter, did Alan Dean Foster have any influence upon that short "bio"? I can't remember, had he already written the "flashback" in the Log novels (briefly describing her redirecting a transmitter aboard a Kzin ship) before Lincoln Enterprises released that bio? Or did the bio come first and Foster expand upon that Kzin incident?

Yeah, I suspect she was never meant to be anything beyond a visual cue to remind viewers the Enterprise was part of a multi species community, but I'd like to know for sure if anyone has any definitive information.

Who wants to place odds Therin of Andor or Christopher will be the first to respond? ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Her parents created her, of course :cool:

I figured someone would say it, might as well be me.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"And they had a LOT of fun doing so!"

Yeah, I set up myself fo that one.

I fear the animated series is just not that well documented, so until some of the people directly involved are asked these questions, we'll probably never know.

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, but I want to shake their hand because she's adorable! :adore:

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

*smacks* "Paw"

Come on now, you've learned 'hoof' easily enough. :p

6. Amaris

I'm not cut out to be bilingual, er, trilingual! :wah:

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'd settle for a dedicated episode or two to Caitians in general. We know very little about their race, Caitia, language, ships, technology, society etc

8. Amaris

Yes! I love the Caitians, but we get no background. I wonder, if the show would have continued, if we would have seen something more in-depth about them?

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd love to know who came up with the race as well as M'ress, if it was something thought up during TOS or just for TAS.

10. Amaris

According to Memory Alpha, it may have been anyone.

I wonder if Larry Niven had anything to do with it, or if he was just tasked with shoring up the background of her character.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Was she an only child, or one of a litter?

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I always assumed that Caitains had multiple births, or at least prefered larger families.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think Roddenberry had much creative involvement with TAS; it was essentially D.C. Fontana's show. As for Gerrold, he was a freelancer as far as I know, not a member of the staff.

In order of production number, M'Ress's first episode was "The Survivor," written by James Schmerer. However, Memory Alpha says that M'Ress is described in the script to "Mudd's Passion" by Stephen Kandel, suggesting that he may have conceived the character. I checked my copy of the "Star Trek Animated Fan Club Newsletter" issue 1, which came out not long before TAS premiered, and it gives "Mudd's Passion" as M'Ress's first appearance. So I'd tentatively suggest that Kandel may have created her.

But it's also possible that she and Arex were developed in-house by Filmation's staff and Fontana as they put the show together. Sometimes in animation it's an artist who creates a character, with the writers then developing them based on the initial artwork.

That doesn't seem too likely, but if someone had come up with a good idea for a story centering on M'Ress or Arex, it could've happened.

14. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  15. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Execellent, Masao!

Why does M'ress always get all the attention, though? where's the love for Arex and Edoans?

16. Amaris

Because she's cute, and fuzzy, and sexy, and cute, and adorable, and a kitty cat. :p

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Fine, she's a cute girl in a cat-suit. We all like those, of course. But Arex was an actual alien-looking alien. Or at least more so than we usually saw amongst Starfleet personnel. That's gotta count for something, right?

18. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

I keep hoping that the writers on the "Big Bang Theory" will make Leonard and Penny Furrie fetishists whereby she dresses up as M'ress - that would be so very, very super-nova hot!

Brb, I gotta go get my inhaler.

19. Amaris

No. [​IMG]

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well there is still the chance that that alien on the Kelvin bridge was a member of Arex's race.