The STV:TFF appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Kor, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

So this is for people who think Cynthia Gouw was underused but not for those who cam admit the movie is terribly flawed?
    Good luck.
    Everybody involved admits it was a misfire, but that be stated here? LOL

2. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Read the thread title.

2. Yes, there are somehow people whose opinions don't exactly align with yours. Obviously they are all crazy, stupid or evil. That's the only possible explanation.

3. Grant

Wow, why didnt you just say "I, eyeresist, am an irrational person"- that would be the only way your post could have more clearly stated the facts.

When you have to resort to putting a bunch of nonsensical tripe in another posters mouth, you have lost the argument already.

If you think the title of the thread bars people with opposing ideas from putting in their two cents, you are wrong.

I am not here to crap on this thread and say TTF is a pile of s---, but its reputation as a very weak entry is well deserved.

4. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, for what it's worth, I also think that a thread titled ``STV:TFF appreciation thread'', with an original post stating ``Let's be positive today! What do you appreciate about "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"?'', does kinda imply that talk about how much the movie sucks could be held back for a different Star Trek V thread.

5. Grant

I am of the opinion that the movie could be improved with new fc and some careful editing, BUT improved in whose opinion? There was a very telling thrrad a long time ago, asking which of the "bad" scenes should be cut in a directors cut. Scotty, hitting his head, Uhuras fan dance, sulu Chekov lost, Scott and Uhura flirting, etc.
    I was shocked when the poll revealed there was NO concenous on what was bad and should be cut.
    The movie is loose in the world and any recut would satisfy no one- except the one person making the decisions.

What could have saved the movie was a serious re write and a 5 month delay.
    But hey, I watch it each time I go thru the movies. There is some enjoyable stuff in it.

6. Grant

Well honestly, thats worth nothing to me. You can ignore my posts- I am the guy who's picture is Kirk asleep in his chair.

An appreciation thread that bemoans the fact that there isn't enough Cynthia Gouw needs a little opposing opinion, I think.

What do I appreciate about it?

It is a standalone movie.
    It has a TOS style teaser.
    Goldsmiths score.
    Sybok is an adversary but not a villain.
    Most of the big three stuff.
    The bridge.
    Thr wooden observation room.
    The revelation scenes.
    The new shuttle.
    The landing party outfits
    Chekov in the center seat.
    The amount of location shooting.
    Cooper, Warner, Luckinbill.
    The emergency distress table device.
    Seeing parts of the ship we hadn't seen-brig, turboshaft, hanger, hanger control room,

Unfortunately, the negative list is just as long and a movie cany be 50 percent flawed and be called good,

7. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's basically what you've done in all your posts.

Item 2 in my previous post was a postulation on how you might mentally explain people liking this movie when it is obviously so very terrible.

8. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's a tough argument. Grant has every right to come on this thread with his views, (I happen to agree with them too) he's not breaking any rules as long as he's not out of order with anyone or derailing the thread too much.

That being said...

I'm a massive Nemesis fan and I've just started the Appreciation thread on that movie last night, and as a fan of the movie I will enjoy talking to some like minded people about it, despite them being in the minority, much like this thread. I'd welcome some discussion, but I'd be disappointed if loads of people came on there to crap on the movie for example.

First world problems eh?

9. Grant

First world indeed.

I do appreiate the movie for what it could have been or even what it could be with changes. I just was surprised and always have been surprised that some folks can overlook its flaw to the extent they do.

Its sad that its the odd child chained in the attic, but its flaws are pretty in your face.

I get surprised when some say-"the fx aren't that bad"-- yeah they are, I was alive in 1989 and virtually no high profile movies looked as bad as TFF.

10. Smellmet

I totally agree with you, especially about the FX. They sucked, really, really badly and stitched the movie up from the get go with Kirk falling off the mountain in the most appalling superimposed fashion.

On a positive note...

I posted last night on another thread about the McCoy line - 'some of us get off on long and dangerous climbs'

I watched that clip on Youtube prior to posting, and it really made me chuckle. Classic Bones. Some of the humour in this movie was still judged really well, despite it being one of the major criticisms that most people have of it.

11. K'Toska

K'Toska Commander Red Shirt

I liked the Uhura swan dance scene. Anything to hear her beautiful voice in ST again.

12. Grant

Not sure if serious........

At any rate, some of the banter was good and McCoy as usual was great. If only they could havecut all the Sulu, Scott, Uhura, Chekov silliness and wrote them each a qualiy scene where they made a real contribution

13. K'Toska

Yes, I'm serious.

14. Grant

In that case, I regret to inform you--that is NOT her singing and she was furious she was dubbed over.

15. Smellmet

It was. I loved all the campfire stuff, culminating in 'get that damn light out of my face' and the small bit at the end. The rest of the crew appeared to be there to almost solely to have the piss taken out of them. Compare that to TUC, TVH or even TSFS where almost everyone had a moment to shine, however small.

I can watch TFF concentrating on the big three and still get a good experience out of it, they got that part of the film spot on.

16. K'Toska

WTF? Now I'm pissed. I looked it up after I saw the movie and kept seeing claims that it was her singing. Why did they dub over her?! Whoever sang it was good but still that's bs.

17. Grant

Its a shame too, because there was no need to replace her with a profesional singer. Imean the guys she was fooling didn't cate if her singing was perfect. It was an insult to her.

18. K'Toska

Yes, plus I really loved the times we heard her sing in TOS. They brought levity to the episodes and to me, she sounds angelic. I was upset that they didn't have her sing in the second or third seasons of the series either. I just thought her voice had changed a bit since TOS and that's why she sounded different. It makes sense that it wasn't actually her I was hearing then. Still doesn't make sense that they would get someone else to do it though.

19. Grant

Yes, the fact is that she is a crewmember who likes to sing and they neded a distraction--Uhura is not a professional singer so to say "we need to replaceher with a pro"--makes zero sense.

20. K'Toska

"We need a professional to make this seem more realistic!"